Forum for all hooked tricks
s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Up-to-date list of Top Airstyle kites

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey D
Just wanted to type a few things (relevant or not LOL)

The not sure part:
If the kite needs a big leading edge to provide that slow and stable feel like another famous AS kite has it will need to be 5 lines. I’ve found from riding the other famous kite that when that large LE hits the water you almost always need to do a 5th line launch.

The part I'm sure about:
Also I personally find and know that the 5th line helps first distribute the weight when flying thus less shape distortion creating longer flights. I think the big LE also helps in this regard. Also in high wind you can see the tension on this powered 5th stopping the kite from drifting back and causing unwanted drag like a 4 line kite does. As I have both AS kites 4 and 5 line its clear to see the 5 line out preforms the 4 line hands down without question.

If this new kite was a 5 line with good load distribution I think this would help the kite excel in the AS area.

As for the rear settings I like the three fast, med, slow. Or if I’m really hung-over at the beach I find those little rabbet /turtle pictures work well too.

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board
Been thanked: 0

Postby janhantke » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Actally this is a good poin!

Is a 5th line solution the best one for a large (15-18sqm) AS kite? And what is the best solution for smaller AS kites (15sqm>)? 4 lines better for smaller AS kites?

Cheers
Jan

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Good questions with the 4 or 5 lines!

And I am sure weight makes a difference there!

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm

I can almost guarantee there will be no "great AS" kites with 4 lines

This for me is where some of the North “powered 5th “ comes into play. On a north 5th you have a direct connection to the front of the kite and then weight distribution lines through the bridal in the case of a Dyno. So you’re truly hanging from the kite in totality. When you jump in this configuration it allows for minimal kite distortion thus better efficiency while in the air not to mention ease of control. For me this is simple weight distribution in a wing.

Now on a four line kite you have lines at the rear and lines 30 or 40% up the wing then bridals trying to distribute the force to the front of the wing. This for me simple does not work that great for an AS kite. Also keep in mind AS demands that you use the kite in its upper limits people forget this point. Toby 18m in 25kns...stable... My 19m edge in 20kns hard to managed every jump in a little different. 15-16kns stable but I can see the distortion more in the Edge then the Dyno. But I will say the Edge does well for a 4 line at 7-8psi

On an AS kite as you want max height and hang you need max wind stability…. and consistency

There have been many threads on this and long debates but for me its common sense. Now keep in mind the context Im thinking of a design for a “Great AS” kite only.

Zkatez
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zuid Holland
Style: oldschool

Postby Zkatez » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:23 pm

s1buell_wl wrote:I can almost guarantee there will be no "great AS" kites with 4 lines

This for me is where some of the North “powered 5th “ comes into play. On a north 5th you have a direct connection to the front of the kite and then weight distribution lines through the bridal in the case of a Dyno. So you’re truly hanging from the kite in totality. When you jump in this configuration it allows for minimal kite distortion thus better efficiency while in the air not to mention ease of control. For me this is simple weight distribution in a wing.

Now on a four line kite you have lines at the rear and lines 30 or 40% up the wing then bridals trying to distribute the force to the front of the wing. This for me simple does not work that great for an AS kite. Also keep in mind AS demands that you use the kite in its upper limits people forget this point. Toby 18m in 25kns...stable... My 19m edge in 20kns hard to managed every jump in a little different. 15-16kns stable but I can see the distortion more in the Edge then the Dyno. But I will say the Edge does well for a 4 line at 7-8psi

On an AS kite as you want max height and hang you need max wind stability…. and consistency

There have been many threads on this and long debates but for me its common sense. Now keep in mind the context Im thinking of a design for a “Great AS” kite only.
The Dyno is a 4 LINE KITE! The 5th is/should be without tension. I agree though, that the 5th does take tension under extreme load. Especially since they made the 5th line part coming from the leading edge a bit to short. But you will agree that the Dyno is a good AS kite also under 20 knots.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Under, Over, Around 20 knots, doesn't matter :D

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm

So Dimi is it confirmed are you going to produce an AS kite?

I have to admit I'm going to sit the 2015 Rebel out at this point. North seemed to have missed the mark.

We need a 18m 5 line slow power house that jumps with great hang. Is this hard to do?

So let us know.

kazama-fury
Medium Poster

Postby kazama-fury » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am

very interesting for sure, will be watching this thread the next few months and see how it develops.

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi,

why sitting out the Rebel 18? Any experiences with it yet? Not good for AS? Why?

Jan

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 pm

For heavier riders, doesn't cut it for what we do. I'm only 73kg so it's a tempting option. :D

As Toby said 15-23 (the best winds for airstyle really) it doesn't have the low end static power of the dyno 2011 18m.

Hence it has replaced his 2010 rebel 2010...

Toby's the benchmark so far as well as the other heavier guys who either ride the 18 or other kites that need lots of power in that wind range.

Return to “Airstyle”