I finally managed to build a harness that suits all 3 riding styles I prefer (new to Hydrofoil and Directional/Wave, experienced in TT).
Most of all this should work brilliant for Hydrofoil Airstyle - Fixed Hook with at same time added ability of a sliding ring without interfering the fixed hook setup.
I took a B2 Ion seat harness and attached a Dynabar.
To make this a smooth setup, I added a few modifications:
- Turned Dynabar on its head to gain 1cm more distance between fixed hook and Sliding ropes with rings (upper holes are only for the elastic rope) so it really slides freely, even when the kite is low
- Added 2 layers boat deck tape rolled round the belt buckle end, of the belt buckle that came with it, to avoid the buckle sliding out
- Added Dakine Clip Lock buckle (sanded the bar on the Dynabar it clicks to a bit down 1-2 mm in the middle) so it fits (Quick lock is important to me, as I tie the belts with knots, so they dont loosen up)
Legstraps are able to being pulled through the holes on the Dynabar, similar to the rings on the original spreader bar, dont think there is a difference in feel.
Now the last thing I am working on is to replace the slider ring from Jaystore (14mm wide, cant take my North Chicken Loop) with one that opens more into a round shape so it works with releasing the chicken loop.
Currently i use the two steel rings, which wear the Dyneema off a bit faster refering to Jaystore (wozldnt be the end of the world, those Dyneemas come cheap).
I also added a 2nd Dyneema rope under the hook and short sliding leash.
I didnt remove the emergency release (red ball attached to metal splint, help by elastic mini rope) for both ropes, but after trying to telease and fix it once, I know the shit needs to hit the fan really hard before I use it - cant reassemble in water (no issue with fixed hook) but its still time consuming on land! Still good to have it, in case the quick release of the Bar doesnt work.
Last edited by Macisback on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
So I used a coated/painted steel Omega shackle for forest work and added a polished alloy pipe with low friction as a bearing.
In addition I added 2 supermagnets on the fixed hook, so the shackle would either move freely on the top rope or when I use the fixed hook, be attacked to the same but still be moveable. This way its not making constant noises and is not in the way.
Macisback wrote:Now the last thing I am working on is to replace the slider ring from Jaystore (14mm wide, cant take my North Chicken Loop) with one that opens more into a round shape so it works with releasing the chicken loop.
Sorry, just seen this. I solved this problem by using a 6mm 'D' shackle which the Jay Delrin wheel fits perfectly because the shackle has a 6mm bar and is near enough the right width (iirc I opened it up a couple of mm). I don't use a CL btw.
Onto this 'D' shackle is TIG welded a 25mm x 6mm ring with a section cut out (I simply cut it with a hacksaw). Both the 'D' shackle and circular ring are 316 stainless and a local welding shop did the job for £5. Both have breaking loads in excess of 1,000 kg and the weld can't be far off that.
As far as I can see all you might need is to use a larger ring for your CL. Hope the pic works for you.