Style: My style
Gear: Naish torch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rotations with board off

Postby Octo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:50 am

So doing board off rotations..

You see videos from the past of guys doing board offs with multiple rotations can any one explain the sequence for this?

Do you jump then take the board off and then huck the rotation or do you start rotating as you would for a regular sent back or front roll and take board off while rotating?

Cheers

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rotations with board off

Postby flyingcamel » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:09 am

you initiate the rotation first

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:16 am

At liftoff you already get into the rotation and then take the boardoff. Put the board close to you for a more compact position to rotate faster.

Check this to see what I mean with holding the board tight to your body:

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:55 am

Octo wrote:So doing board off rotations..

You see videos from the past of guys doing board offs with multiple rotations can any one explain the sequence for this?

Do you jump then take the board off and then huck the rotation or do you start rotating as you would for a regular sent back or front roll and take board off while rotating?

Cheers
Great question and hitting multiple rotations mid air is my next target. Double backrolls, easy...double fronts, harder - but layer in a board off...really tough. Ditto on what Toby mentioned. Something to add from someone who has been trying these unsuccessfully. Make sure you have STELLAR kite control with single, double, or even triple rotations before attempting the board off. The old adage is true here too - kite control supersedes all. So, my recommendation would be for you to begin by attempting a few big air single or double rotations. Make them as controlled as possible, almost to the point where you feel like you have them so ingrained that you could do it on just about any kite, blindfolded. By the time you even consider a board off with rotations you should be sick of hitting doubles or triples. Then, once this is mastered (say after several hundred attempts) you do a single rotation board off. Then assess this by determining where you are going wrong and what needs to be improved. Its always one of two things; too much pressure on the bar or not enough. If you are applying too much pressure and the kite is turning too fast put one finger over or maybe even consider a smaller bar - just as a training wheel to get you oriented. Then, once you have it dialed in switch over to your regular bar...although, for these type of tricks it really is better to use a smaller bar. Once you have a single board off mastered, move to a double. Be careful - the guys on the videos make it look save and easy but getting a big kite out in powered conditions and attempting rotations can be dangerous. And for God sake, DO NOT practice these with anyone nearby. I guarantee that board will go flying and you want to be able to throw the board out of the way if things go awry...which they will when you are learning anything new. Final advice, someone once told me that as long as you keep yourself under the kite usually you will be fine and will not get into trouble.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. Most importantly, see if you can get pics or video and post them here.

Return to “Airstyle”