Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What do you think is the optimal board size for Airstyle ?

Forum for all hooked tricks
lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

What do you think is the optimal board size for Airstyle ?

Postby lindseym » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:45 am

Let's hear it. What size board (and board type) do you use and how you feel about: what has worked, what has not, what did you like, or not and why.

stansxm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: le gallion bay, orient bay, saint martin 97150 (french west indies)
Favorite Beaches: le gallion,
mainly quebramar (paracuru,Brazil),and all Ceara nice spot.
secret spot (sxm)
Style: airstyle or old school , waves, foil...
Gear: Board fly radical 5 132, kite airstyle flysurfer sonic fr 11 and v2 15,kitefoil f-one....
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do you think is the optimal board size for Airstyle ?

Postby stansxm » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:17 am

well for the size of the board it s depend of your weight and the wind. i would say between 125 and 135, as well not a too light board because the wind push it strong when you throw it and not too heavy of course as you need to play with a lot.if you don t have the chance to practice airstyle on a perfect flat water some good flex gone help a lot for the pop, the best pop i tried until now is from the xenon laluz board. just crazy until 2014 after i don t know the model.
i m actually using the radical 5 flysurfer 132, a perfect board for the flat water, and airstyle.The quality, the weight and the shape are just perfect, in choppy water i m not sure that the chanel at the bottom of the board is helping a lot.....another element very important for me is the quality of the straps. they are really good with the flysurfer radical board. some bad quality straps can hurt the feet very fast, and annoying a lot when you play with board.another important detail with flysurfer board is that they provide in the pack some nice grab handle to stick on the board at the edge, nose and tail. and of course the handle, everything changed for me the day i bought the t-handle from Toby. :D

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:07 am

Yes, as a matter of fact I've been trying to determine the right weight size for a board. I am in the market for an airstyle specific board and have my eye on the Radical. My only concern is that we do have spots with some decent chop when the wind gets cranking. What I like is a board's grip factor; I really like to dig in and edge hard and for me, boards that are skatey cause me to lose my ability to dig in.

How's the Radical in terms of its grip ?
Many thanks

BTW - in terms of my own answer to the question I actually only ride a Nomad 136 x 43. Amazing board but I need something smaller for airstyle specific tricks.

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:55 am

Hi,
after riding the Fylsurfer RAdical 136 (Im 78kg anf going with 14sqm Boost usually) I did decide to go with the Cabrinha Tronic from now on. This is due to:

- very loose due to smaller tips (old school shape). This helps me a a lot when picking up speed and then curving into the wind for great popping before I jump). And is great fun when playing in waves and making downloop transitions

- 4 concarves on the bottom make every landing super easy and safe.

- outline has special rail which makes it easy to grab and hold board while duing boardoffs

Disadvantage, it doesnd glide super early and the pads are not good. Need to replace them. Any idea which pads are the lightest?

Cheers
Jan

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:46 am

janhantke wrote:Hi,
after riding the Fylsurfer RAdical 136 (Im 78kg anf going with 14sqm Boost usually) I did decide to go with the Cabrinha Tronic from now on. This is due to:

- very loose due to smaller tips (old school shape). This helps me a a lot when picking up speed and then curving into the wind for great popping before I jump). And is great fun when playing in waves and making downloop transitions

- 4 concarves on the bottom make every landing super easy and safe.

- outline has special rail which makes it easy to grab and hold board while duing boardoffs

Disadvantage, it doesnd glide super early and the pads are not good. Need to replace them. Any idea which pads are the lightest?

Cheers
Jan
Yes, I had my eye on the tronic at one time. It was the one board where I could really get the board behind my head when doing one of those Dimitri style one-footers. The shape of the Tronic definitely has its advantages. What size Tronic did you get ?

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:24 pm

I did take the 141 version. Due to the small tips it is important to take one size larger than you would take usually. otherwhise it starts very very slow
cheers
Jan

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil

Postby xoen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:25 am

janhantke wrote:I did take the 141 version. Due to the small tips it is important to take one size larger than you would take usually. otherwhise it starts very very slow
cheers
Jan
I am considering the tronic, either 141* 42 or 137*41. What would you recommend? I am 68 kg, have switchblades 9/12 m, doing mostly hooked moves, and ride 80% in choppy waters, in winds 15-20 knots. Do you think the 137 is too small? I find strange is that 137 is the smallest they offer..this makes me doubt..my last board was a 135 Airush switch

thanks

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am

I have 95 kg and ride a 128x39 board...so don't worry it will be too small for you.

It is a simple formula:

big kite = small board
Small kite = big board

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 am

62kg, 120cm DIY board.

Simple, DIY outperforms all production boards on performance/price. Also, riding bigger feels like riding a tank. No matter if S. Monk (just sold it), or anyhing else.

Me thinks, there is no air style board. Only air style.

There is an air style handle tho. Maybe even straps (large, comfy). Stick this to the board, and viola.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am

Do you have a picture of your board?

I agree that there is no specific board for Airstyle. It all depends on what you prefer!

And yes, a good handle and big enough, comfy straps are the most important!!!

One thing though should be considered: weight of the board! If you do flips and KickFlips the board needs to rotate. If too light, wind can influence the rotation. And the more rotations you flip it, the more weight the more it rotates.

With my board so far my maximum roatations are 4. Trying 5 but so far not caught the board again.

But, this is the highest level of Airstyle tricks...so far one person lands it...so it is not that important. ;-)

Return to “Airstyle”