Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Edge vs boost vs screamer vs rebel feed back

Postby Oldpeople » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks for the feed back. Anyone have any feed back about bar pressure and direct feeling? I like a heavy bar pressure and direct feel. I think all these kites are good jumping/hang time kites and differences are mostly personal preferences but unfortunately I have no chance to demo them. I rode a epic screamer 14m that i bought used to try screamers for a couple of months. Seemed pretty similar to my old dynos. I have a friend with an edge that loves it but I haven't ridden it. Boosts are pretty rare where I am but what I've read they seem to have great depower so a big wind range. I'm usually in 15 to 20kts, rarely over 20kts. 128cm board 75 kg and like to be on 13m or 14m kite. With good depower I might want to try 15m but would want a lot of depower available. I've been caught out in 30kts squall on my 14m and it was not fun. Could barely stay touching the water.

joaogtm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manguinhos, ES, Brazil.
Favorite Beaches: Mnaguinhos, ES, Brazil. Barra do Itabapoana, Brazil.
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Core XR5 13.5m, Flysurfer Sonic 2 13m
Been thanked: 0

Postby joaogtm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 pm

I"ve got a Ozone Edge V8 size 15, 1 year e a half ago. In my opinion, It´s the best kite in the world in terms of aerodynamics and adrenaline for big boost, hangtime and board-off tricks. On the other hand, It´s surprisingly FRAGILE, and MANY MANY owners complain about this. The old same problems with flaws of struts or LEs, even without reports of hard water crashes. It´s a real shame! I´ve emailed the company, but all I´ve got is negligence. They don´t give a damn. Other have been told that they are responsible for the flaws, as "something inappropriate" had been done out in water or beach... well, the best LEI for airstyle, the most fragile also.. My Ozone is for sale now, and riding more and more the Cabrinha Apollo...and loving it.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:47 am

fat blokes can fly wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 pm
That thread is just a couple of people shouting loudly.
Nothing like a higher percentage of kites.
Anyway I think you will find that ozone have listened to the customer and built strengthening on the leading edge seems on the V9.
Right.

So, to conclude, there were no problems with v8, people were just whinging, but Ozone "listened to the customer and built strengthening on the leading edge seems on the V9." ???

Says it all.

I did try Screamer (2012-14?) and it does have a high bar pressure. Nothing like that on Ozone or Boost.

High depower comes from a bar, and the bar can be customised to anyone's needs with of bit of tweaking.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:55 pm

That is correct.
Attachments
received_10158233493135363.jpeg

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Oldpeople wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 pm
Thanks for the feed back. Anyone have any feed back about bar pressure and direct feeling? I like a heavy bar pressure and direct feel. I think all these kites are good jumping/hang time kites and differences are mostly personal preferences but unfortunately I have no chance to demo them. I rode a epic screamer 14m that i bought used to try screamers for a couple of months. Seemed pretty similar to my old dynos. I have a friend with an edge that loves it but I haven't ridden it. Boosts are pretty rare where I am but what I've read they seem to have great depower so a big wind range. I'm usually in 15 to 20kts, rarely over 20kts. 128cm board 75 kg and like to be on 13m or 14m kite. With good depower I might want to try 15m but would want a lot of depower available. I've been caught out in 30kts squall on my 14m and it was not fun. Could barely stay touching the water.
Try out the 2017 Rebel and you will make your decision right then and there. The kite is absolutely amazing. Effortless boosting, screams upwind. Relaunch easy with 5th line, hangtime is incredible but most notably the new rebel is fast. It loops so smooth and fast!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello Oldpeople or should I say "Yongpeople"?
Both of these kites you mention are great kites. The best thing for you will be to demo them in order to see what these kites are all about and this is the reason why we send our demos world wide because I know the end results.
This is also the reason why we have this warning on all our ads: "WARNING. DO NOT BUY ANY ANOTHER KITE UNTIL YOU EXPERIENCE AN EPIC KITE" because we know what happens once you try one of the EpicKites.

Again since I have tried all these kites the Rebel will be my second choice, then the Boost and then the Edge. You can always email me at: dimitri@epickites.com so I can give you more info on what ever you need. But again try the kites before you buy.
Attachments
Kitemag april 2016 final.jpg

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 am

My quiver of V7s have been superb - personally over 13m is a bit of a waste of time for height, but better for hangtime in light wind. That said if you want hangtime in light winds, very little beats a Chrono2.

My V8 9m has had v limited use - but the hangtime when properly lit (35/38knots) was v good.

I am sure that EPIC kites are great, but I have yet to see anyone make them work to get high jumps (>18m), whereas the edge & rebel does this. Personally Edge or Rebel is the choice - if you want a more freestyle kite, I'd go for a Rebel, if you want something that will frighten you every now & again, plus can be used nicely hydrofoiling the Edge is my choice.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Oldpeople wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 pm

If you are looking for direct feeling and medium bar pressure, the Rebel is the only way to go. No bridal lets you feel the kite where it is at all times.
The Ozone, is super slow. The new V9 might be faster, but i personally dont like the feeling of the slow truck. The new Rebel is very quick for its style.
I have tried the Screamer as well. The Screamer has power, it boosts big and is really quick, its not great in gusty conditions in my opinion. But if you can handle a kite in gusty, the screamer is f***ing awesome.

Return to “Airstyle”