Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Edge vs boost vs screamer vs rebel feed back

Postby Oldpeople » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 am

I am having to replace my 2011 north dynos. 90 % of my riding is on a 13m or larger kite.I have narrowed down my choices to those kites. I have been reading all the various posts about those kites. They seem to be pretty similar. I am looking for slow turning, stronger bar pressure and good direct bar feel when the kite is overhead. Really what ever is closest to my old dynos. Anyone familar with those kites for airstyle have any feed back? Good depower range is a plus because it makes going out with the larger sizes a bit less nerve racking. All thoughts much appreciated.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Edge vs boost vs screamer vs rebel feed back

Postby matth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:52 am

I'm also looking for a new light wind boosting kite. I am leaning towards the Edge because several of my big boosting buddies absolutely love them. From what I see and hear about the Edge is boosting and hang time are excellent, light bar pressure, and excellent upwind. My second choice is a Core xr4 15m.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 am

I don't think Edge v8 or Boost v2 is close to Dyno. Sorry.
None of this two kites have stronger bar pressure.

I also think Boost 2 is better than Edge. I ride Boost v1 and Edge 2014 (v7?) 11m. The Edge does not loop well, also v8 in 13m is, well, hmmmm...Look for reviews here.

Screamer is like a hens teeth...It's heavy as I understand, mucho more than other two (don't have 14m to compare). As I see it every day, Screamer screams upwind much more. It might be a board/rider combo as well.

Boost will out jump both. Absolutely will. Boost relaunching is top notch, not comparable with two. Reverse launch, and self launch is unmatched (and not advertised enough).

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:54 am

downunder wrote: I also think Boost 2 is better than Edge. I ride Boost v1 and Edge 2014 (v7?) 11m. The Edge does not loop well, also v8 in 13m is, well, hmmmm...Look for reviews here.
I've looked for 13m v8 reviews, what's wrong with it?

I replaced my Dyno 18 2011 with a v7 17m and I love it.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:15 am

fat blokes can fly wrote:
downunder wrote: I also think Boost 2 is better than Edge. I ride Boost v1 and Edge 2014 (v7?) 11m. The Edge does not loop well, also v8 in 13m is, well, hmmmm...Look for reviews here.
I've looked for 13m v8 reviews, what's wrong with it?

I replaced my Dyno 18 2011 with a v7 17m and I love it.
Nothing, only heard great things. I just ordered a 15m yesterday, good deals on V8 right now because v9 is coming out soon.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Really?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392089

12 pages of bashing otherwise a sick kite, but with some issues...

teabaggin is one of most influential kiters I know in Oz.

As said, I ride Ozone, have Edge and C4, great kites, the only kite on my local that can out jump me is Draft (but 12m, me 11m, about the same rider weight), on the same wind ( up to 20ish kn). Above 25kn, many kites will jump bigger, but this are smaller kites.

Lets put it this way, the Edge needs hard pressure to keep the tips not flapping. So does Boost. Screamer and rebel duno.

D.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

downunder wrote:Really?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392089

12 pages of bashing otherwise a sick kite, but with some issues...

teabaggin is one of most influential kiters I know in Oz.

As said, I ride Ozone, have Edge and C4, great kites, the only kite on my local that can out jump me is Draft (but 12m, me 11m, about the same rider weight), on the same wind ( up to 20ish kn). Above 25kn, many kites will jump bigger, but this are smaller kites.

Lets put it this way, the Edge needs hard pressure to keep the tips not flapping. So does Boost. Screamer and rebel duno.

D.
I have several friends who fly Edges and none have reported any problems after several years of hard riding.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Mate,

they can't ride a v8 for several years... ;) We need to be specific with the versioning to get the right facts.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 pm

That thread is just a couple of people shouting loudly.
Nothing like a higher percentage of kites.
Anyway I think you will find that ozone have listened to the customer and built strengthening on the leading edge seems on the V9.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:49 pm

downunder wrote:Mate,

they can't ride a v8 for several years... ;) We need to be specific with the versioning to get the right facts.
Both have V8s . I think they were released in spring 2015, now 2017 three seasons? several?

I read those thread before and asked all the edge riders about any issue and they all said none with V8.

Return to “Airstyle”