Forum for kitesurfers
airbag
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dominican - Playa Dorada

Postby airbag » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm going to the dominican Jul 30 - Aug 6 and am looking for the best price/value hotel where I can kite every day. I know that Cabarete is the place to be but I found some good 4 star all in deals at Playa Dorada. Apparently there is a kite school there - KitExcite - which means that it's rideable. However, according to windresorts
Playa Dorada beaches have lots of scattered sharp corals and rocks. No rental shops or schools are available in that area. Also due to the low flying helicopter tours which are based in the area kitesurfing is not allowed.
Does anyone have any experience with Playa Dorada? Is it as windy as kite beach at cabarete?

(posted this in Travel forum without much success. Re-posting in the main forum)

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Re: Dominican - Playa Dorada

Postby Galeltic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:58 pm

it seems to be about no soical nite life at Playa Dorada
than cabarete but watch out for local whores need your $$$$$
never bring lots cash in your pocket
dont use credit card cause tax charge 36%
so atm at cabarete

airbag
Rare Poster

Postby airbag » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks. I'm more interested in whether you can kite at Playa Dorada and if it is better/worse than kite beach cabarete.

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:05 pm

@airbag, in the link you posted I read the following:
Beaches NOT to go:

Playa Dorada beaches have lots of scattered sharp corals and rocks. No rental shops or schools are available in that area. Also due to the low flying helicopter tours which are based in the area kitesurfing is not allowed.

k12urf
Medium Poster

Postby k12urf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Was there last week and loved it.

Stayed at the grand Ventana which was basic but for what we paid was very good value for money although the drinks where watered down and we couldnt get pissed know matter how much we drank.

The beach in front of the hotel was big enough to launch from and there was some nice waves out the back of the reef but it is shallow and with lots of urchins which isnt to good to be crashing into but does make good snorkeling with lots of fish.

In the bay where the school is its a lot better and there is usually someone out but it wasn't busy the 2 weeks we was there.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Galeltic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:06 am

at video u can see lots white swell caps where there 's sharp rock reefs as same as cabarete
so if low tide then be careful so no different between cabarete and playa dorada but playa dorada is near puerto plata as no safe so better at cabarete also lots kiters from world whom u would meet at cabarete than playa dorada also lots different resturants so good chinese resturant with reasonable prices and they are good cooks as u wont be sorry , also u would meet new faces than 4/5 stars hotel of cafe cost more and obixonus people is not good.
kiters are more freindly at cabarete
i met new faces with warm hearts , also toby was cool dude

airbag
Rare Poster

Postby airbag » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:09 am

Thanks for the advice guys!
So you are saying that the wind and the conditions at Playa Dorada is the same as at Cabarete?

Could you show me exactly where to kite at Playa Dorada? Perhaps on a google map.. you can start here.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Galeltic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:34 am

sorry i never been at playa dorada cuz i avoid high crime at puerto plata and kited at cabarete
no idea about same wind conditions between dorada and cabarete
have fun but be careful

k12urf
Medium Poster

Postby k12urf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:15 pm

On that map i launched between the Grand Ventana and the occidental Grand just to the right of a small river. The kite school is at the south end of that bay at the end hotel and its all good inbetween the two.
Dont know about high crime i never left the hotel for 2 weeks apart from going on a boat trip and kitesurfing, why go out spending money when there's all the food and drink you need to have a good couple of weeks unwinding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”