Forum for kitesurfers
Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2008 Flyradical M 133x39.5

Postby Skooner Jr. » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm looking for a similar board but one size bigger to plane a tad sooner? Maybe 136x42? I'm hoping for a board with similar properties, easy upwind, early planning, cuts through chop. Maybe something from the "Shinn" line of boards but open to suggestions.

I also have a rockered up wakestyle board with boots to cover the load and pop tricks when powered up. This board would be for when the wind is kinda crappy and I want to try new tricks without boots.

Suggestions

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: 2008 Flyradical M 133x39.5

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:29 am

If you're specifically after the shape, there's nothing like them that I've seen, and I've been looking.

The new ones stick to the same sizing so there's an L at 138x42....

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Agree if you after that shape..... they are the only game in town.

I have a 2009 128 its all I use. Great board. I"m going to need new pads soon. Not sure where to order them from.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Skooner Jr. wrote:easy upwind, early planning, cuts through chop. Maybe something from the "Shinn" line of boards but open to suggestions.
If easy upwind and early planing is what you are after, the Shinn line is not what you're looking for, at least the Monk and Street that I have owned. Most agree that they are great when well powered, but not very good on the low end.

I've also owned a Crazy Fly Raptor Pro LTD board, and I think that is closer to what you are looking for compared to the Shinn boards. The LTD goes through chop well and good upwind on the low end. There are hundreds of boards to choose from though and its really a personal preference thing, so best to demo as many as possible.

Also, early planing and good upwind (flat with square tips) tend to be at odds with good in chop (more rocker rounded tips), so tough to find a board that does both

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:52 pm

s1buell_wl wrote:Agree if you after that shape..... they are the only game in town.

I have a 2009 128 its all I use. Great board. I"m going to need new pads soon. Not sure where to order them from.
Axis. Best straps n' pads bar none.

Skooner Jr.
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Skooner Jr. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

How is the Vanguard board? The Limited looks nice but probably out of my price range. I've done more research and added the Xenon Laluz and Axis Vanguard to the mix and possibly the BEST Admiral?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 am

I rode the 138x42 Vanguard in NZ for a few weeks and loved it.

The Limited is better. Lighter board too, which might not be to the liking of the airstylers. IIRC the squarer Flyboards go upwind on the edge easier; the Vanguard/Limited need more rear foot pressure. The V/L both have the channels so are faster and smoother boards I reckon, especially on landings and riding with speed. I suspect the channels improve the bottom end too, with nice glide once planing... but Adrian says that's nonsense :D for sure, the 138 was a good all-rounder, although I went for the 140x43 because the lake is choppier than the estuary in NZ. I don't think the additional rocker compared to the Flyradical is problematic for me... but for sure they feel different.

I'd love another Flyradical to demo though, cos I loved my FR3 L...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 am

I looked at the Laluz but my carbon fetish won me over on the Limited. And the pads and straps are brilliant. Better than the Flyboards and I'm a fan of those too.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:20 am

all good boards. if there was a spectrum from freeride to freestyle lets just say it would go..

Vangurad, limited, laluz (2014). We liked the limited, but was still too far on the soft side for us. Prefer the squarer tips, longer rail, more bite for load and pop.

Agreed pads and straps on the 2014 limited exceptional.

You need to work out honestly what you are after.

ps My brother has the crazy fly raptor pro limited..now that sits kind of just in front of the vanguard in that spectrum but only just. Hence my brother liked the axis best as it gave him a little more softer freeride/ride but had more 'bite' than his raptor.

As I said all those options are great...you need to sit down and be honest about the water conditions you will ride in, what kite you will pair with it and what style...

i think the admiral will sit closer to the laluz on that spectrum but most of us are still waiting on some non bias, customer driven reviews...hence that would be my board to demo, but I know what I need and have been through the wringer with boards.

I use the small radical to hold down a big 18m kite for 'airstyle' the laluz to on lighter days (it can hold a huge edge) and smaller kites. the radical has that really long square heelside edge, lots of rail in the water to load against but stuff all rocker. Likes flat water more.

Return to “Kitesurfing”