Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peru/Mancora quickee?

Forum for kitesurfers
Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Peru/Mancora quickee?

Postby Eduardo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:09 am

I have some frequent flier miles that I'm thinking of burning in the next month. As I am severely goofy, I'm thinking Mancora, Peru is my best spot. A few questions.

- I can be there only 3-4 kiting days, has anyone found a forecast that is good about 7-10 days out? I'll book last minute & I can easily decide a few days before if it's looking extra good/bad.

- Does anyone rent surf boards? I can bring a TT easily but bringing a surf board is a bigger risk for airline fees that would not be worth it for a very short trip. A rental would be great. If a package deal, I'd be happy to also rent any wave oriented kite too. Any brand strapped/strapless, whatever, I can make it work.

- Any favorite hotels right on the water?

- Other tips?

sisky
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Peru/Mancora quickee?

Postby sisky » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Eduardo, you will be jazzed in mancora and the surrounding area as a goofy footer!!

As for the forecast for wind there is really no definite computer models to look at. The only way to forecast wind in Mancora is to be there. If it is sunny in the morning and no thick clouds the chances are it will blow. If the clouds are thick and don't burn off, chances are the wind will be soft. The wind is created by a thermal inland and the cold ocean currents so it can vary day to day. But, if you are looking to go in the next 2 months you are pretty much going to get wind everyday in mancora or in the close area. I have lived in Mancora for the past 4 years (part time for the past year). and i have looked at all the computer forecast..and they could not be more off. there are days that it is blowing 25knts while the forecasts say 5 to 10knts. and there are day it is the opposite where it says 15 to 20 knts and there is no wind!!

as for renting boards. you can talk to Paulo at Geko's. he is an Fone rider and has equipment to rent. He can also provide guide service to other spots such as Lobitos, Tres Cruces, cabo blanquillo, etc....you can also talk to John in the Birdhouse center. They rent gear there also and can help organize trips out of mancora to the other spots. both places has TT and surfboards...

as for a place to stay on the beach...first i will tell you about my place..Samana Chakra is right on the beach just north of the main point in Mancora. I launch right out front and then take two tacks to get to the main point. nice large sandy beach to launch from..we have some great deals going right now on multiple day rates. If you are interested please ask. check out http://www.samanachakra.com. There are other places also. you can check out Las Olas. That is directly on the beach also at the point. They are great people also, with a nice place. another great resource to check out is vivamancora.com. all the hotels are on that site!

have a good time!!!!!

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Re: Peru/Mancora quickee?

Postby Eduardo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Sisky - that is extremely helpful. Thanks for the tips. It always scares me to get on a plane when the forecast says it'll be bad, but I know some places you just have to pray to the wind gods.

At least, the swell is predictable...

I'll be in touch about your place.

Return to “Kitesurfing”