Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How can I repair loose stitching..Please help

Postby LanBro » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 pm

the stitiching on my LE is coming loose. What is the best way to repair it? Could I put a small patch on it? Would that keep the loose stitching from spreading? I don't want to take out the bladder since its a 1 pump..

Thank you.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How can I repair loose stitching..Please help

Postby panchito » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I bought this 4 years ago ? http://www.kitefix.com/catalog/index.php .... great product and very useful , never leave my house ( when I go kiting :D ) without it .

Saludos

Franz

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 pm

panchito wrote:I bought this 4 years ago ? http://www.kitefix.com/catalog/index.php .... great product and very useful , never leave my house ( when I go kiting :D

hi Franz

i guess it is a little bit general. i think LanBro needs a little bit more specific on this.

i think stitches on LE you could repair with the stitchings with the same or slightly thicker thread in case the dacron cloth was not damaged. or may be later you can put the patches on those stitches.

winds

tunceskite415
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD Obsession 9m
Naish Cult 12m

Postby tunceskite415 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:31 pm

You need to determine if the stitching is loose due to wear or stress. If it is wear (for example, a stitch is worn and the thread is loosening down the line) you can put a patch on it to stop the spread. If it is spreading at the stress point you are better off having it re-stitched.

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM

Postby LanBro » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for the immediate feedback guys :thumb: Its generally from wear..not that bad...The dracon is showing slighlty..just a stip 3cm long and .5cm wide.

I think a patch would do it...Should I patch it before or after I inflate?...Sorry for the basic questions...reminds me of that section in Kiteworld Magazine.."All gear and no Idea"

si-fly2
Medium Poster

Postby si-fly2 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:59 am

Is it the LE closing seam? (the long seam which runs all along the LE) I have repaired a number of patches of broken stitching over the years on these seams. If you dont want to use a machine, you can just use a needle and thick polyester sail thread and restitch through the orininal stitching holes using a chain stitch.
I have never had any repaired bits come loose, but if its the short seams which join the segments together I would get a patch sewn on. it should be cheap as its an easy repair.

Si.

ps. you dont need to remove the bladder even if you have to unpick the LE main seam to fit a patch, just pull it out the way and be careful.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:55 pm

eree wrote:

hi Franz

i guess it is a little bit general. i think LanBro needs a little bit more specific on this.

i think stitches on LE you could repair with the stitchings with the same or slightly thicker thread in case the dacron cloth was not damaged. or may be later you can put the patches on those stitches.

winds

I guessed the OP has no kite repair shop is his / her neighborhood , which is the opposite case he/she would simply go there and ask ...

I have repaired everything ( Yes !! even sewing at the LE ) with urethane glue and a fiberglass patch from KR ... so if you do not have a shop near you their products do work well .

That glue is really kick ass ... I use it for almost everything , wetsuits , tents , working clothing , even to repair a leather sandal at the joint to the sole ... amazing .... it is my beloved Timberland del Fuego sandal ( No they do not sell it anymore :cry: ) and I wear it during the summer time ( 5 months every year ) since 3 years and the glue still holds , the sole is worn a bit out but if I am lucky I will still use it next summer ......

Saludos

Franz
Last edited by panchito on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey,

I had a leading edge that the thread was worn and opening up. I used a needle and thread (I think it was polyester and strongest I could find) and folded the opened part up and stitched through existing holes and about a foot or more past the bad areas. Worked great and never busted; however, the stitching on the otherside of the leading edge exploded and I sent it off to be repaired.

The repair shop had to open the stitching up to repair the leading edge and if I used glue it may have been a problem.

Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”