Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Biggest kite for freestyle.

Forum for kitesurfers
funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Biggest kite for freestyle.

Postby funalex » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 am

What is the biggest kite for wake-style/freestyle, my skills are 313, blind judge, the 4 main mobes...

My biggest main kite was a 9m, but I can't really freestyle under 15 knots. Could a 16m do it ? or is it too much power ?

alex267
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Biggest kite for freestyle.

Postby alex267 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:15 pm

I used alot a 13 m C kite for my big one and its fun in light winds for freestyle but good power start from 15 knots for my 73kg . If the winds is less sometimes is fun and power but the broblem is that you go to much downwind to get nice speed and power and not so easy upwind because of ligh winds conditions if in this conditions i used a 16 m C kite i belive that it will be like that , a litle bit more power but more hard to go upwind.
Know for my big kite i use a 11 m C kite and have the same low end of use with my 13m and is a lilte more easy to go upwind in light wind conditions. I use 132X42 board.

besttaste
Frequent Poster
Style: pull power foreward
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby besttaste » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Earlier on I used a lot a 14m Torch 07. But the last 1,5 year I didn't use anything bigger than 11m.

It also depends on your quiver, the gaps between kites and your budget ;) ex. 13-9-7 or 11-9-7

On some light wind days a 12, 13, 14 or bigger will definitely be useful just how many days a year or sessions do you have like this? It depends on the place where you kite. HP freestyle with a 15m kite, boots or straps & nice steady breeze is definitely sweet! :wink:

doggy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands, Greatstone
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Hayling Island, Majanicho
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle, Surf
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby doggy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:36 pm

It really does depend on your weight, Im 65kg and rarely have to use a 12m.

Compared to a 9m a 16m is massive, I dont need anything bigger than a 12m, if a 12m is flying nicely then I can trick.
Unless you are really heavy a 16m is way to big and you will get overpowered really easily, look for a 12/13m instead.

kitesurfing south coast

Return to “Kitesurfing”