Style: Airstyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 12m
Cabrinha Apollo 2017 14m
North Jaime board 133cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Kite size for 30+ knots

Postby podiatanapraia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:31 am

Hi everyone. I´m primarily an airstyle rider and I ride an Apollo 14 pretty much from no wind to 25 knots. Since I can´t really start doing anything interesting below 15 knots airstyle wise, when it´s light winds I´ll usually just play around with unhooked tricks or low kiteloop tricks. However, the Apollo 14 isn´t really manageable above 30 kts. I´ve been thinking of getting another kite to play around with unhooked tricks and maybe mega loops when the wind gets that strong. They´re not disciplines I´d like to go really deep into, but it would be nice to have this extra option. For that purpose, I´m considering a Cabrinha FX, but I´m not sure what the ideal size would be. I weigh 68 kg and ride a 133 North Jaime. Would really appreciate any guidance I can get.

Cheers,

Giovani

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Kite size for 30+ knots

Postby edt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:07 am

why would you do unhooked tricks at 30+ knots? That's big air/megaloop wind. Just seems a bit of a waste of wind to be unhooking when it is blowing that hard. Save the unhooked stuff for 25 knots and below. I would guess a 5 meter for unhooked and a 7 meter for big air at your weight. 14 to 7 is a pretty big jump so you probably want to buy two kites, maybe a 10 and a 7.

Return to “Kitesurfing”