neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

any downsides to shimming stabiliser and big wing mast length

Postby neilhapgood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

hi all,

are there any down sides to shimming a foil? It seems counter intuitive to have the wings working against each other but I presume its such a subtle thing you don't notice, and also done with big wings so not looking to go fast?

I am looking to get a bigger wing working on a moses T40 which apparently requires a shim so wondering if anyone has shimmed and not liked it and ended up getting a board with a track instead?

Also most big wing packages come with a shorter mast, is this important or will a 90cm mast be ok?

a very boring post after just reading the rubber duck one I am afraid!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: any downsides to shimming stabiliser and big wing mast length

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Shims are great, and the best part is that if you don't like it, you can usually go back the way it was by loosening one or two screws. I've shimmed both foils I've owned at this point and felt like it helped. I'm about to get a brand new foil that has a fixed tail, but even that can be shimmed at the fuselage-to-strut junction.

Try it, report back. I use the thin plastic that milk jugs are made from, or an old hotel room key if I need more width.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:28 pm

I have the Moses T40 and have used the Onda 633 on it on a variety of mast Lenghs 70/90/101

I’ve found that shimming the Mast to fueselage works best as there’s no cavitation and as Mossy says
It’s easy to do and if you don’t like it it’s easy to undo .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Yes, there are downsides when shimming...

No downsides of longer mast combined with the big wings.
But IMO loads of downsides of a shorter mast, but we can never agree on this one, I know.
It is a reminiscence from SUP that does not make sense in waves with a kite I would say, but some like the short ones for whatever reason.

When you shim the stabilizer, I have found the complete setup to feel bad when carving - you can shim the trim to be spot on to where you stand, but when you carve the dynamics seems to suffer if you shim the rear too much, both ways are wrong in fact, but at least if you shim to be able to stand further rear (like with the Moses, and another board I had) meaning rear stab not pulling down much or at all, the turning becomes stiff and odd.

In my experience - I dont know what others think?

Mast to fuselage shim will not alter turning abilities in this very respect at least, so a safer option if I am right you will alter the turning often to a worse state if too much.
But it has been a while since I experiemented with stab trim, as when I found out it didnt work well to change, I stopped and used the same trim always, just moved my feet instead, or mast position, to keep the "good feel" when carving :D

Small rear wing shim changes no problems though, for finetuning :thumb:

8) PF

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:00 pm

to shim the fuselage do you simply put something in the fuselage cavity, towards the front (?!), before dropping it onto the mast?

Brizair10
Medium Poster
Gear: Onda 633, Old Tube kites, soul10

Postby Brizair10 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:36 pm

I like both,
with the shim the onda seems to glide a bit better through jibes an is more stable at Speed, shimless is a more lifty, pumpy feeling and probably better for slow waves....
it´s nice to play with tuning options...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:00 pm
to shim the fuselage do you simply put something in the fuselage cavity, towards the front (?!), before dropping it onto the mast?
Yup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVdSx5eNdUA

Return to “Hydrofoil”