Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shorten your frontlines

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Shorten your frontlines

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 pm

I know this might be basic knowledge for most, yes, but maybe some can use this tip ?

Assuming many of us also ride other boards and not hydrofoils only, then we got a bar(s) with standard line lenght 20-23m for these, freestyle or wave.

When hydrofoiling, the standard line length is 25-27meter or something like that, it seems we all agree is the best, obtained by having 4-7m extension lines, most of us :naughty:

Having one set of lines and no extensions would of course be the best - but I think many of us of practical reasons use extensions - especially because in marginal condition even longer extensions are used :thumb:

I have one set of "standard" 7m extensions, but my other 3 sets are made either from thinner Dyneema line or similar, OR, from old worn out bars or lines where one end is already sewn and sleeved perfectly.
Cost you nothing and you can make the extensions you need.

BUT, dont make the lines equal lenght :o

I have made my front extensions about 8-10cm (3-4 inch) shorter than the rear ones.

This way, you can keep your normal trim strap positions (give or take a little but you all understand what I mean), instead of pulling your trim down to 2/3 depower or something like that :rollgrin:

Maybe a stupid little thing, but believe me, a small detail that is really nice :naughty:

So if you take the extensions off to use your TT or Waveboard, or if you put the extensions on to use your hydrofoil - the default trim is the same and you have max range too :D

Even if only hydrofoiling, like many of us do as everything else becomes "boring" compared - the extensions has to be of unequal lenght to give you a good neutral trim :remybussi:

8) PF

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Shorten your frontlines

Postby irwe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Peter your spot on!

I did this exact thing yesterday. I have 27 m lines for foiling with Switch 5 inch extensions pigtails, I only used the extensions on my rear lines and my 14.5 m OR Flite flew perfectly and not alot of dangling depower line :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Shorten your frontlin

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 am

If the extensions are the same lengths, why would trim change when you add them?

KristianE86
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SVP
Style: Free Riding
Gear: FS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KristianE86 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:03 am

Because of uneven loading. PF failed to mention that he assumes equal diameter lines. IMO different diameter lines are a better fix.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 am

KristianE86 wrote:Because of uneven loading. PF failed to mention that he assumes equal diameter lines. IMO different diameter lines are a better fix.
I still don't get it -- uneven loading between front and rear lines?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:34 am

Your front lines are loaded more than the steering lines so they travel a straighter line where the steering lines are more bowed. The longer the lines the bigger the difference between the two and the need to correct with the trim strap.

Is this more of an issue for foil kites?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Starsky wrote:Your front lines are loaded more than the steering lines so they travel a straighter line where the steering lines are more bowed. The longer the lines the bigger the difference between the two and the need to correct with the trim strap.

Is this more of an issue for foil kites?
Ah, gotcha. I've not noticed this the few occasions I've played with extensions on tubes; 6m is the longest I've used though... and for a few sessions only. My Speeds have extensions full-time, and when I tune the lines I allow an inch or two anyway, for my knots to tighten up.

Is it that much of a difference?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 pm

I use short pigtail extenders with several knots on the rear lines for fine-tuning the proper front to rear lines ratio, depending on the kite I use with the same bar and lines.

This way you don't have to trim longer lines. Just keep them equal.

my 2c

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 pm

No no no, you are all wrong - except Irwe who gets my point :wink:

When hydrofoiling using the same kites as with non-hydrofoil boards, we never use the same line lengths but 4-7 meter longer, and even longer in marginal winds.
But most uses the same bar for both, just with line extensions for hydrofoiling.

BUT, when hydrofoiling, the "perfect" trim is with a lot lower AOA (aka kite depowered a lot more than when on a TT or Waveboard)

So using extensions of equal length is not good, as then you have to pull your depower and have it dangling all around, and maybe you can not use the upper end nomore :(

Pigtails on the kite is also not that good, as you got lots of dangling pigtails on either your front or rear connection points, depending on what board you use :roll:

So my simple point is: When you make extension lines for hydrofoiling, make the front lines 3-5 inch shorter than the rear ones and the trim will be just perfect when you use the same kites for hydrofoiling and other boards :rollgrin:

Of course, if dedicated and one bar for hydrofoil only - you can get one with say 27m lines, and then shorten your frontlines these approximately 4 inches :D
They should not be of equal length that's for sure :naughty:

So my little tip was simply to make extensions with rear lines a bit longer than the front for your standard bar - and its a win-win as you can still use the bar with perfect trim for other boards (without extensions), and you dont have to modify neither the bar nor the kite at all - clean and simple :thumb:

8) PF

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:30 pm

I use Q-power lines.
When the front lines get more than 25.4mm longer than the Back
lines ; i switch the Back to front, and stretch them , until there now
25.4mm longer than the back. I do this about every 10 sessions, when
the lines are new. Older lines don't stretch as much.

With Q-power ; i also have the ability, to re-do the knot , to make
my lines even.

I , ((HATE)) extensions ; the knots always snag, and tangle the lines !! :angryfire:

Bille

Return to “Hydrofoil”