Learning to ride kitesurf hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Learning to ride kitesurf hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi

BraCuru has made some awesome posts about his first times.

Would tell you about my learning:

I started here in september, and have been out 7 times now, half an hour to an hour each time.

The first two times was basically learning how to handle the board, getting in/out and bodydragging, and to avoid getting cut (too much).

And a LOT of chrashes after riding a few meters only.

It most often ended in a "foil bomb" like this:

Almost like new years eve !

Later, on the 3rd day, longer rides were possible - but still ended in the "long jump foil bombs" like this, almost every time:

Those who have learned, will know exactly what I am talking about, right ?

Here is a youtube video of day 6, when I could finally ride comfortable and long distances, and also get back downwind again:

As the most difficult part is getting DOWNWIND at first, because upwind is easy, even in sub 10 knots with a small kite not bigger than 10m2, you BLAST upwind and at high speeds !

You have to learn riding, and it is not intuitive and easy IMO, because you have to learn in muscle memory, and nothing can be used from riding other boards - except for kitehandling of course.

But WHEN you master, it feels like you are weightless in space, and with insane speed across the world - an AMAZING feeling :rollgrin:

I can not jibe nor turn really, and can not master even the simple tack yet - and the long jump foil bomb is still a move used very often (not on purpose) when trying new things or when going faster.

Still love the feeling, and to learn :D

8) Peter

Using this board:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Learning to ride kitesurf hydrofoil

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Wow, i can't imagine learning straight on a high aspect ratio foil. I started in April with an Aluminum Rush Randle foil, and just by switching to a different brand of low AR foil was a brand new learning experience.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 pm

I saw someone doing this in France when I was taking lessons, looked awesome, something I want to do! And I come into kiting from surfing, where Laird Hamilton has made an impression doing tow in foil boarding. I picked up a carafino from a guy who figured it would be fun, but never got around to learning....and now I know why, harder than it looks!

I tried only 1 day behind a boat, could get up and going pretty easily, but even a slight turn and over you go. The wipeouts were kind of harsh....with a lot of pressure on ankles that gave me some concern. As well, that foil most is sharp...I wouldn't try this without a wetsuit. I kinda chickened out after my initial wipeouts, hurt and fear of injury....but I want to get on this, committed to getting it *next year* :-)

Anyways, question for the experienced....better to learn behind a boat, with its consistent pull, to first get a feel for mechanics of the board? Or does the upward lift of the kite make it easier, making up for the less consistent power?

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ozchrisb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 pm

That board and foil look cool. The board isn't on their site, is it a Zeeko or something else? It looks similar to the one Johnny is riding.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

juandesooka wrote:I saw someone doing this in France when I was taking lessons, looked awesome, something I want to do! And I come into kiting from surfing, where Laird Hamilton has made an impression doing tow in foil boarding. I picked up a carafino from a guy who figured it would be fun, but never got around to learning....and now I know why, harder than it looks!

I tried only 1 day behind a boat, could get up and going pretty easily, but even a slight turn and over you go. The wipeouts were kind of harsh....with a lot of pressure on ankles that gave me some concern. As well, that foil most is sharp...I wouldn't try this without a wetsuit. I kinda chickened out after my initial wipeouts, hurt and fear of injury....but I want to get on this, committed to getting it *next year* :-)

Anyways, question for the experienced....better to learn behind a boat, with its consistent pull, to first get a feel for mechanics of the board? Or does the upward lift of the kite make it easier, making up for the less consistent power?
I have tried three different Hydrofoil boards. The Carafino is the easiest to learn and the safest. the fins are all rounded off and oval shaped. Try to ride it like a surfboard first, try not to pop off the water yet, keep the boat speed at or below 10 mph, My carafino will pop up at around 8mph from my Suunto GPS.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 pm

ozchrisb wrote:That board and foil look cool. The board isn't on their site, is it a Zeeko or something else? It looks similar to the one Johnny is riding.
Johny was riding the MHL Lift, he is riding the Taaroa Sword.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 am

Hawaiis wrote:
juandesooka wrote:I saw someone doing this in France when I was taking lessons, looked awesome, something I want to do! And I come into kiting from surfing, where Laird Hamilton has made an impression doing tow in foil boarding. I picked up a carafino from a guy who figured it would be fun, but never got around to learning....and now I know why, harder than it looks!

I have tried three different Hydrofoil boards. The Carafino is the easiest to learn and the safest. the fins are all rounded off and oval shaped. Try to ride it like a surfboard first, try not to pop off the water yet, keep the boat speed at or below 10 mph, My carafino will pop up at around 8mph from my Suunto GPS.
Cool, thanks. So you're recommend mastering it with boat first, rather than jumping right to kite?

And for sure we were going too fast! :cry:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:55 am

If you are able to control the kite, kiting gives you more control over the speed. Rather than relying on the boat or Jetski operator.
Kite hydrofoil evolved from Air Chair/ Sky Ski. With boat/Jetski, your pull is toward the boat/jetski, it is more like downwind. With a kite, the more upwind angle will keep the foil more stable.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 am

ozchrisb wrote:That board and foil look cool. The board isn't on their site, is it a Zeeko or something else? It looks similar to the one Johnny is riding.
The board is Zeeko's "race" board, stiffer and aimed for speed and not on the site in pictures.

You can also get a waveboard with inserts for the foil (my foil is the 2014 model as they call it - the picture in the thread of manufacturers is the 2013)
That board is the one listed on their website :D

8) Peter

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:02 am

Alex Aguera is using a deep Tuttle box to attach the foil on his boards, which seems like a particularly neat system and will have less resistance than some other systems when trying to get the board up to speed to lift on the foil.
The screw heads look flush on the production board, so my guess is that the blue board was a prototype.

http://alexaguera.com/foil-board/

Return to “Hydrofoil”