Pros and Cons, Aluminum foil -vs- Carbon foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pros and Cons, Aluminum foil -vs- Carbon foil

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 pm

If you do not want to go strapless eventually, Aluminum is fine, it is however a first generation design.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:42 am

I have no interest in riding a surf board or foil with straps. Although I'm pretty sure the guys in the video are at least some of the time riding without straps or boots....

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 am

Riding the Aluminum foil with no straps can be done,
It is only harder when you have to tilt it at an angle to water start.

don pitcher
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby don pitcher » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I think some of the reasoning about aluminum is a bit ridiculous because aluminum has its advantages over carbon but people are not discussing this due to their extreme bias.

The simple advantage of aluminum is lower cost than carbon. Because of this, I think there is a place for aluminum as a lower cost beginner hydrofoil. As hydrofoiling continues to grow in interest, I have been surprised no-one has offered such a product to grow the sport.

The makers of boat hydrofoils have done this. For example, here is a complete hydrofoil with board for $750. This new/small manufacturer sells directly on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1139495756

An advantage with aluminum is it can be extruded, which will lower the cost even more. For example, if the riser is made of a symmetrical NACA extrusion and a wing from another un-symmetrical NACA extrusion, this would save much machining cost.

http://www.mtmscientific.com/airfoil.html

I feel for hydrofoiling to grow, there has to be a low cost beginner product. In fact, one boat hydrofoil manufacturer has realized this. As a result, if you buy a beginner hydrofoil from them, they offer a trade-in program if you want to upgrade to a more expensive model within a year from the initial purchase.

http://skyski.com/store/all-new-hydrofl ... ofoil.html

For this sport to grow, I think we need to have manufacturers that will open their mind toward using the advantages of metals and carbon. Each has its place.

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2382110&start=2

Return to “Hydrofoil”