All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Differences with different mast/strut length ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi

I've ridden many (okay, not many, around 10) different hydrofoils, and masts from 80 to 100cm on these.

What is the experience out there, from those of you having ridden the SAME board and foil, with the mast length as the only difference ?

I am not so much for hearing theoretical views on this one, but practical experiences ?

Totally impossible to compare if not the VERY exact same setup, only with the mast length as difference.

There are the obvious differences that can be felt easily of course, even on different foils:

1. Short can be ridden further into the impact zone in waves on shallower water, and you can start a bit earlier when walking out on say sand banks or similar.

2. Long can be ridden much better/safer when heeled and with power, upwind when chop/waves.

3. Short is easier, and good for beginners as the board can touch down without nosediving so to speak.

4. Long can be better for waves if choppy, and to avoid ventilation on the drop down the waveface if you dont get it perfect.

These are the direct easy differences, felt when riding different lengths, but on different foils.

But what do those of you having ridden the very same foil, different mast only, think about the feel and handling about f.ex

5. Carving tighter, as in waveriding ? Huge advantages of the short one ? Or almost the same when experienced ? Or advantages of the longer as can be heeled more without ventilating ?

6. Other input/differences you have noticed ?

8) PF

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Differences with different mast/strut length ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
but practical experiences ?

Totally impossible to compare if not the VERY exact same setup, only with the mast length as difference.

As not many have the option to have the exact same set up but with 2 different STRUT lengths, seems only Ketos and Zeeko qualify, and I just so happened to meet a guy with and remembered this thread, so I relay SECOND hand info.
Disclaimer,
Just met this guy flying, drying a 2015 Chrono 15m2 with a Ketos long 1m and short 90cm STRUTS, freeride F wing.
Did not see him foil as was late in the day.
His thoughts after several sessions on both.
Longer,
More sensitive, harder to regain control of if balance is lost a little.
As known better to keep wings in water in waves, chop
Prefers to fly 90cm, shorter when possible as he is perfecting his flying jibes and stance changes and feels it more forgiving. In flatter water he only flies the 90cm.
I do remember well last summer when I got to fly a 1m STRUT that it did seem more sensitive but it was a complete set up that I did not know so no exact comparison was possible.
From PFs last STRUT length post thread,
TKF Manta 85cm.
TKF Arrow 95cm.
Zeeko 100cm.
Zeeko short strut 80 cm.
Takoon 90cm.
Ketos 90 and 100cm.
Spotz 98cm.
Taaroa Sword2 95cm.
Magma Barracuda strut 100cm.
Horue GP 93cm
Horue H13 90cm
Delta (2014) 93 cm
Alpinefoil 4.5 90cm
Moses Silente 93cm
Moses VoRace 93cm
MHL Lift 2013 86cm.
Rush X 71cm.
LF Fun Foil 95 cm.
average 91.42cm
Interesting to note that the faster set ups (Sword, Spotz, Barracuda, Arrow,
option with Ketos and Zeeko,
seem to have slightly longer STRUTS whereas the ones targeting the average joe seem slightly shorter, seems to make sense.
R H

Post subject: Re: Differences with different mast/strut length ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

revhed wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
but practical experiences ?

As not many have the option to have the exact same set up but with 2 different STRUT lengths, seems only Ketos and Zeeko qualify, and I just so happened to meet a guy with and remembered this thread, so I relay SECOND hand info.
Disclaimer,
Just met this guy flying, drying a 2015 Chrono 15m2 with a Ketos long 1m and short 90cm STRUTS, freeride F wing.
Did not see him foil as was late in the day.
His thoughts after several sessions on both.
Longer,
More sensitive, harder to regain control of if balance is lost a little.
As known better to keep wings in water in waves, chop
Prefers to fly 90cm, shorter when possible as he is perfecting his flying jibes and stance changes and feels it more forgiving. In flatter water he only flies the 90cm.
I do remember well last summer when I got to fly a 1m STRUT that it did seem more sensitive but it was a complete set up that I did not know so no exact comparison was possible.
From PFs last STRUT length post thread,
TKF Manta 85cm.
TKF Arrow 95cm.
Zeeko 100cm.
Zeeko short strut 80 cm.
Takoon 90cm.
Ketos 90 and 100cm.
Spotz 98cm.
Taaroa Sword2 95cm.
Magma Barracuda strut 100cm.
Horue GP 93cm
Horue H13 90cm
Delta (2014) 93 cm
Alpinefoil 4.5 90cm
Moses Silente 93cm
Moses VoRace 93cm
MHL Lift 2013 86cm.
Rush X 71cm.
LF Fun Foil 95 cm.
average 91.42cm
Interesting to note that the faster set ups (Sword, Spotz, Barracuda, Arrow,
option with Ketos and Zeeko,
seem to have slightly longer STRUTS whereas the ones targeting the average joe seem slightly shorter, seems to make sense.
R H

Sword 1 100cm
F-One 88cm

[ 3 posts ]