All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Board,
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:49 am 
Medium Poster

Happy Holidays to all of you out there:

Here is a youtube video of the Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Board for 2014, it is available in limited numbers as all new Carafino boards will feature diamond mounting. This wave board fits all pre 2014 plate mounted Hydrofoils compatible with Carafino bolt patterns for attaching the foil to the board. It also fits other brands hydrofoils that have an identical bolt attachment point as Carafino pre 2014 Carafino products. This bolt pattern will no longer be available on the production boards from Carafino in 2014 & beyond. http://youtu.be/roTNuUNnaZ4 https://vimeo.com/81353571

This is the new 2014 Freestyle Wave Board fitting all Carafino Hydrofoils and other brand hydrofoils compatible with Carafino. The boards come with a three year warranty from breaking. This board is one model in a series of three models delivered by Carafino for the year 2014. Race and Performance are the other models. These boards are in a limited number as the attachment point for the hydrofoils is converted to a diamond shape inserted into a Carafino designed box that streamlines the water and eliminates resistance caused by plate to board bottom attaching. All Carafino 2014 hydrofoils are not compatible with Tuttle box or similar construction windsurfing boxes introduced to the sport of Hydrofoil Kite Board manufacturing. The Carafino 2014 Hydrofoil is designed with diamond mounting plate that inserts into a diamond box for flush mounting on the bottom deck. It is fastened with Stainless steel bolts that are free from water flow resistance.

The new attachment point is a diamond box mount that connects the new Carafino foils to a specialized mounted system, (see pic enclosed) this new system is much tighter and does not wear down inside the modified tuttle box system used for wind surfing.

The tuttle box system eventually wears down and creates forward and aft play of the foil inside the tuttle box overtime. That is to say, where the foil shaft slides up into the board. This occurs because the box is designed to handle a fin shorter in length than a hydrofoil strut.

The tuttle box system is one of the greatest inventions by Mr. Tuttle to the sport of windsurfing, (it has been incorporated into kite surfing fin design mounting) as it was designed to eliminate windsurfing fins from pulling out of the windsurf board. Pressures associated with stress on construction to the fin box from fin loads. This was an extremely huge problem that windsurfing suffered in the early years of windsurf board construction.

One of the best windsurfers and acrobatic surfers, waterman and outstanding athlete, Rush Randle, http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?i used a tuttle box system in the early 2000 years for his foil boards, however, the two components, (foil and board) worked against each other and created play in the mounted system, a movement that deteriorated the box over a short period of time due to riding stress on the joint.

The diamond plate system keeps the stress on a flat surface same as the plate originally designed for hydrofoil sport. This design has proven to be the most successful method to attach the foil. However, in the flat plate mounting, the boards originally designed for this method created drag when the rider brought the board to the water, as the water passing the foil mounting plate slowed down the rider. The new recessed diamond box allows the water to streamline pass the foil mount without drag, same as all surfing fins and sailing designs for rudder and dagger board joins, resulting is zero loss of speed due to attachment below the hull.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/81353571[/vimeo]

Attachments:
Tuttle Box.jpg
Tuttle Box.jpg [ 29.73 KIB | Viewed 1170 times ]
Carafino 2014 foil attachment box.jpg
Carafino 2014 foil attachment box.jpg [ 415.28 KIB | Viewed 1170 times ]

Last edited by C A R A F I N O 2014 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Boa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 am 
Medium Poster

xxx

Last edited by C A R A F I N O 2014 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:02 am 
Medium Poster

xxx

Last edited by C A R A F I N O 2014 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Seems like a good idea.

The early tuttle boxes were not as deep as the new deep tuttle boxes, so that may affect the situation as regard the loosening of the foil.

It would be interesting to hear from someone like Alex Aguera who has been using (I presume) deep tuttle boxes with foils. That would give an up to date answer on the potential of deep tuttle boxes.

I would expect the loads from a 70cm formula windsurfing fin would be greater than the loads from a foil (unless you ran the foil into something solid).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The race board fin leverage is effectively much less than the hydrofoil. The foil wing span adds to the effective leverage. Each fin also normally takes only a fraction of the pressure, so the foil can exert 5 to 10 times the pressure of a single race fin. Normally the forces may be aligned so it doesn't, but in a crash it certainly could. Therefore the concern with Tuttle boxes is warranted.

The diamond box is interesting, except if it makes stress concentrations at the points. Having the front end acutely pointed seems counterproductive to me. A flat bolting surface would be better and cheaper and stronger. Most of the drag could be reduced if the plate were inset, with a few mm gap around the edges to reduce point loading of the board skin.
Sorry for the armchair engineering, everybody has an opinion, that's mine ;)

Edit: Maybe this system has a little gap around the plate?

Last edited by BWD on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
Frequent Poster

Tuttle box is enough and it does not wear out: while riding there is very little sideways pressure, much less than on a windsurfboard, and when falling, usually it's falling forward not sideways and the rider is no longer over the board when it hits the water...

Experience based on riding with the high-performance speed foil Spotz, the same as the foil of Nicolas Parlier, who beat Rob Douglas in speed-crossing this spring in Leucate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

OK, not everybody is parlier or douglas.
Try running into a sandbar, or just a shallow spot...
I still think a bigger mounting plate or a larger cavity base is a better idea.
The area of the screws of a tuttle box is small, so is the front end of it, just a few cm^2.
Even a slightly bigger cavity base would help, as Carafino has done.
I was just saying it seems like it would be better to have it flat, or at least with rounded corners.
You don't need extra stress risers in the base, or the box.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yeah, sandbars are a big problem anyway, I've tried it. :wink:

However, if something has to break, I prefer that the screws break through the Tuttle box top, it's easy to repair, than to break the foil or the board, both are much harder to repair.

In fact, I did not repair my Tuttle box top after a close encounter with a sand bar this September, I mounted the foil with plastic wishers which hold the foil nicely but will let the screwhead break through if I hit hard again something in the water (sandbar, rope, big marine animals...). I also attach the screwhead with a very short leash to the back footstrap, because if you break out the foil, it will sink...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

The image presented earlier is a bit misrepresentative of an actual modern deep tuttle box. This is what they actually look like: (R54-4561)Image

Unless the board is weak or fin head material is under specified, I'm not sure where the looseness would develop.

On contrary not much depth of interference between mounting plate and mast it's not clear how you would create a top mount to flushmount to this diamond without high loading at the interface between plate and the mast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

lezo wrote:

However, if something has to break, I prefer that the screws break through the Tuttle box top, it's easy to repair, than to break the foil or the board, both are much harder to repair.

In fact, I did not repair my Tuttle box top after a close encounter with a sand bar this September, I mounted the foil with plastic wishers which hold the foil nicely but will let the screwhead break through if I hit hard again ...

YES -- fuse-pins are a GOOD idea ; why destroy an expensive part, when
a simple strategically located fuse-pin will save it from complete obliteration ?

They use fuse-pins on those expensive carbon air-foiled shaped down-tubes
of the Atos Rigid-wing HG ; which is counter intuitive to a company that wants
to sell expensive parts after you take one out, (But they did that anyway) !!!
The fuse pin they used will cost Ya $5 , where-as a New down-tube would cost Ya
about $200 !!

Bille

Ps: C A R A F I N O

I'm "Glad" to see you back , & posting here again ; Lots of knowledge about hydrofoils
in that brain of yours !!

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next