tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Boa

Postby tkettlepoint » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm

I have been lurking on here for a long long time. We build custom boards and repair boards so I have alittle insite on this and no I do not have a Carafino Foil.

Carafino is right about the turtle boxes. In the last 2 years I have seen a lot of AR sectors and different race boards not holding up to all the side stress of the large race fins and cracking around the boxes allowing water into the core of the board.

A bigger surface area and a good core would be the world of difference in foil attachments. I do like Carafino attachment box . I was thinking along the same line for building a foil. I want a board that can be used as a reg surfboard with a quad set up when the wind cranks up and a foil when the wind dies. Just put a plug into the box and away you go. Hell with all these 3d printers you could make a plug yourself if you wanted too.

Carafino has been at it a long time and has good points. But it is just like kite brands a few years ago when people were sueing others for copying a kite. When I started kiteing I think there was only 4-5 brands out back in 2000. Now look at it. Stand up paddle boards same thing if you have $20 000 in your pocket you can call up China and start your own brand and have container to your door 6 months later and sell them out of your trailer at the beach if you like. People will try to make things and try things, and then find out that it is not as easy to do as you think.

Carafino thanks for leading the way for the foils. I can't wait to see what the future brings us in the foil world

Terrie B

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:39 pm

you guys are too much. I'm glad Cariffino keeps posting because I know nothing about foils. He's my only education and all you posers bitch and moan but offer no information in return. Not having a pole board back ground, I have no direct tuttle experience, but the same concept applies to the boards on nacra cats i sailed and owned. That required tight fit gets loose, and the dagger boards slip from where you set. repairs consist of replacement only. there are other foil board mfg's for sure, but their website is a couple of pictures, no explanations. Maybe you don't agree with mr carrifino's language, spelling, fonts or whatever, but why be rude to him? run him off and we'll have no real foil mfg ever posting here again. I would love to know.... definitely the current foil business is full of innovative new concepts....what these new inovations are. post um up! don't know where Gunner is, but I THINK his new board has tuttle fitting. But there is nothing on the web that I can find about it. there's a LIFT board out of Puerto Rico, but their website is lacking and i got no answers for the email i sent--Do the Lifts still vibrate or has that been fixed? anyone know?
So whose foilboard is better than Carifino's? and why? i know BRACURU is a good foilboarder because i've seen his videos. I also know johnny Heineken is good but what is his foil? So all you well informed, highly opinionated, master of foil riding and design and manufacture, post up. It's real easy for you to pick apart someone... show some RESPECT.

don pitcher
Frequent Poster

Postby don pitcher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Carafino thanks for leading the way for the foils.
How is Carafino the leader of foils?

I don't recall Rush Randle having these problems.

http://carafinouk.com/indexcara.html

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Arcsrule wrote: ...

Maybe you don't agree with mr carrifino's language, spelling, fonts or whatever, but why be rude to him? run him off and we'll have no real foil mfg ever posting here again. I would love to know....

show some RESPECT.
:thumb: Good way to say it !! :thumb:

Mr Carafino's front-size is unreadable to me ; it takes me :4 seconds to hit , (Ctrl -)
4 times ...
and presto-desto , the front-size is Perfect for My eyes !!

It takes :1 second to hit , (Ctrl 0) to make the letters normal again , for a total
of, :5 seconds out of my life to read his valuable stuff.

If you Don't like looking at Big letters, then make them smaller, and STOP being Rude
to the guy !!!

The Reason most manufactures of Hydrofoils won't post here, because it will
take Money out of there pockets if people are told how to build them. You guys
should be Happy that Mr Carafino even bothers to take the time make a post !!

If a hydrofoil breaks, it's nice that someone will point out Why it happened ; leaving
out the name-brand would be good though, (as i pointed out in the past) !!

Bille
don pitcher wrote:

I've SEEN your Work don --- it's kind-a BAD !!

don pitcher
Frequent Poster

Postby don pitcher » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I had a genuine question. I believe Rush Randle had better reliably and is forgotten as a foil leader. Maybe I an wrong, so I asked.

I also feel other posters have valid disagreements. You are welcome to disagree, but there is no need to be hateful.
Bille wrote:
don pitcher wrote:

I've SEEN your Work don --- it's kind-a BAD !!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm

don pitcher wrote: ...
You are welcome to disagree, but there is no need to be hateful.
Hateful ?
I'm Not being Hateful ; simply pointing out that C A R A F I N O
has
a very High degree of creativity ; and You are jealous.
Why else would you post that about Carafino ?

Your work is Less than optimum , as in it ain't gonna work, and Looks like Crap !!

My work isn't a Lot better than yours --BUT :
* it worked the First time out.
** was my First try 9 years ago and it's Still my go-to light wind board , &
also the board i Learned on because i was too cheap to buy a new one.

Check it out : your work against Mr Carafino's work :
don pitcher wrote: ...

don pitcher low cost bi-directional hydrofoil attempt (2008)
Attachments
Carafino hydrofoil.JPG
Carafino hydrofoil.JPG (51.52 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Copy of Mid basin 5.JPG

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Billie, thanks for posting that about changing letter size. I didn't know. And yes Rush Randal was the first foil maker I guess. I read about him on the Carifino site I think. It was the older Carifino site, not the 2014. There is also a bit of steel vs carbon explained on his site too. By the way, has anyone noticed the increase in aluminum foils on ebay recently?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Rush Radle used the Airchair Skyski aluminum foil,
Carafino is the first one with carbon fiber, all the rest are just copies.
The Rush Randle did use a mini tuttle fin box along with snowboard binding and boots, which made kite foiling impossible.
Mr. Carafino is the pioneer who made kite hydrofoil possible. He is the father.
Now that his former dealers who stole his ideas and his business are slandering him on the forum for financial gains, maybe it's time that Mr. Carafino consider filing lawsuit against those pirates.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am

Hawaiis

I promise you that rush randle didn't use a mini tuttle box when he was foiling back in the day

A mini Tuttle box on has a depth of engagement of maybe 12-14mm,

Just think about what mango carafino has suggested and you are now repeating, a standard tuttle or more likely the deep Tuttle was used but suggestion that anyone uses or used the mini make him look daft

Boxes don't blow out on boards, they simply separate from the core when the boards are built wrong and are not bonded to the core correctly or more usually not bonded to the top and bottom laminates that would support it on all sides and stop it twisting free

don pitcher
Frequent Poster

Postby don pitcher » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 am

I don't get why people think Carafino is the "father" of hydrofoiling. So what if he was the first to use carbon.

How is his product so innovative? Like others have said this came from ski boat hydrofoils. I don't see how Carafino made much improvement from that. Others have, but Carifino?

I just don't get all the hype.

Return to “Hydrofoil”