L2L foil vs slalomboard

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

L2L foil vs slalomboard

Postby lander » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:37 am

At the L2L the slalomboard won the long distance race and the best foil finished as no. 5. At the O2O the first 3 places was foils. Alex C. was no. 2 on foil at both events - does anybody have info why the slalomboard did better at the L2L ? Was it the angle to the wind or bigger waves, stronger wind ?
Just curious
Last edited by lander on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: L2L foil vs slalomboard

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Good question, curious as well.

Is a slalom or race board faster than a hydro in not wavy conditions?

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:33 pm

There was a lot of talk on seabreeze.com.au about the weed conditions. There are years when it's an issue for race boards so I image it wouldn't be god for a foil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Correct, sea weed is a pita...
For some reason it seems to be even worse for the raceboards than the foilboards.
According to those who does both.
Can others confirm this, or not true ?
I just hate seaweed on my freerace but as said, just as bad almost, on the foil I think and feel.

- Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm

weeds :lol:
(not my best day)
Attachments
boundary.pic2 (Small).jpg
boundary.pic2 (Small).jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Ha haa - cool Chris !

And how would a 3 x 43cm straight finned raceboard do in the same conditions - thats the question ?

I have no idea, as those who has told about the pros and cons, might be a bit biased because foilboarding is so much more fun :naughty:

8) Peter

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Weeds are just as bad for both boards unless the slalom boards use very swept back, weed specific fins or really small fins.

Riding a foil downwind is much trickier than upwind. It takes lots of skill and time to get good at downwind with speed on the foil. Maybe the foil riders either need more time working on the downwind or foils just aren't as fast downwind.

- Stafford

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:02 am

That temavento board typically is ridden with 35-37 cm fins with 0 cant. I think the weeds would affect it for sure but you can do
Little jumps easily and knock them off.

Jimmy the builder told me he made it to be as fast and easy to ride as possible. I almost bought one but opted to get a lab70.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:23 am

First hand info would be apreciated. But what I hear you asume is that it was because of the angle to the wind (where O2O were up and down) L2L must have been close to downwind. And a lot of seaweed. Hmmm make sense to me since normally the courseboard would beat the slalom board even on a slalom course (when looking on PKRA results). I have had both the Temavento slalomboard and courseboard and also ride foil. And to answer Peter, yes - seaweed is a pain in the ass on all of them, and the rumor that foil handle it better is false imo.

Just a single straw of seaweed destroys the airflow on the wing/fins. And since you are depending on the lift with both a foil and a raceboard, you are very mutch depending on the right airflow. The consequence of seaweed leads to not lifting. On the raceboard this means spinout and on the foil to stalling. In both situations this is very disturbing and could lead to crash :-?

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .

Postby Mako » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Comment from the winner of the 2013 L2L from Marvin B...

Quoted from Seabreeze.com.au http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... -Leighton/

"hey guys,

thanks for the kind words and especially a massive thanks to Tim for organising another epic event and looking after myself, Rikki, Flo and Alejandro like he did!

It was mostly his effort that guys like Alex C, Rikki and Flo came to Perth to race and they will all come back 100%.

After travelling the whole world for racing and freestyle the L2L is still the funnest and most challenging comp I have done especially with 3 major racing regattas in my legs the 4 weeks prior to this race.

The days before the L2L must have been nerve wrecking for Tim and his team as forecast was very unpredictable.

On the day it looked ok. On the ferry over to Rotto it looked liked no seaweed at all and we were all relived hoping for a fast race without crashing.

We had 13-15knts on Rotto and us guys on directional pumped 13m kites, the foilers 10/11m and the twintips 17-19m.

I had my 13m Ozone edge on short lines rigged and my slalom with 32cm fins as it was light and I didn't want to take smaller fins.

Florian and Alejandro did same. 10mins prior to start I went out and there was seaweed everywhere. I crashed few times before start.

At the start lined up with the foilers as I expected them to have a good start. However, there was so much weed I crashed 3 times in the first 2km and I just cldnt get going. I saw the field getting away from me 500m ahead.

I got frustrated trying to jump of the weed on my fins, trying to slalom around it. Then the water cleared up and I started to find my groove. I caught up to the group passing Jordan, Alex, Olly and Torvar.

My backleg was already cramping up so I took it easy once I had a good lead on this group. One more big crash next to boats in heavy seaweed line. I tried to get going but too much weed on fins so I had to stop swing board around and take weed of fins.

I started following the lead boat which was a mistakes since it did not go in straight line. A few others behind me told me I was going zigzag.. I also tried to go in the 'smooth' water behind boat but felt like my fins didn't grip in the wash so I went out of it. When I checked my watch and I saw the beach coming closer with 19mins on my watch I went from cruising mode to full speed and put the hammer down.

Stoked to win and set a new record but I reckon with less weed, more wind (lit on 10m or 7m kites) and fresh legs im sure we will go faster next year foiling or on slaloms ;)

gear is used: Ozone Edge 13m 21m lines
Temavento Sl 63 Slalom
Tectonics T43 32cm
weight 80kg
Congrats to all racers that did the race"

Return to “Hydrofoil”