Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do the wings even need to be aerofoil shaped?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Do the wings even need to be aerofoil shaped?

Postby edt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

dlprince69 amazing! Do you have a blog post somewhere that summarizes your experiments? (or youtube video)

I know a lot of us home gamers are reinventing the wheel with these hydrofoils and I'd like to see your opinions in more detail.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:02 pm

ditto what edt wrote!
I am most curious what method you used to shape the cores, templates and lots of measuring? CNC?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Hello,
Only speaking of my first hand experience having built 4 different complete foils and several front and rear wings,
I offer thoughts for consideration.
I and a good friend learned on a wood core strut, alu fuse and 4mm aircraft grade alu wings in 2009.
It was loosely based on the AIR CHAIR design.
They wings were arc shaped and had very little air foil profile.
The l e of the front wing had flat bottom but a streamlined top like most naca shapes. curved tips down.
The t e also had a flat bottom but very tapered top again like most streamlined naca or similar profiles.
Same with the rear wing but of course the top was flat and the bottom was like the front top curved tips up.
For learning and low to med speed this worked just fine and is still very flyable although now with f glass wings.
Low aspect ratio used for both.
Both wings did eventually die due to LOTS of use, I believe they "work hardened" from flex and simply would not hold their curve anymore.
I would bet that 5mm or thicker aircraft alu wings, curved or bent correctly, profiled, could be made to work well and last!
For a SAME WING curved vs flat test I carefully made them very flat, they were unstable in pitch and roll, as compared
to when they were curved and yes they were still strong enough for minimal testing.
From this test I will never make flat wings, maybe a rear but then it would need a tt like fin.
I see guys and some companies using flat wings (because they are easier to make?) But as said, ,just in my flying ,curved , bent ,is notably better.
I have been lucky to have also tested other flat winged foils but have yet to ride one I like.
I see a kiteboardhydrofoil as a SYSTEM, and for it to fly well the elements need to work together, and we know so little now in my humble thinking, although the past few years have seen GREAT innovation.
It will be so fun to see what is thought of for the future!!
revhed
Just my thoughts here in early 2014.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 pm

Post subject: Re: Do the wings even need to be aerofoil shaped?

yes
Last edited by Bille on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm

In terms of coming up with a cheap easy to make foil suitable for learning on, it may be that we have to find ready made products that can do the job as part of an assembly.

This aluminium extrusion has that blunt leading edge which may be more tolerant of changes of direction in water. I notice that windsurf fins with blunt leading edges are less likely to stall or spin-out and easier to recover from spin-out with.

http://www.fractal.be/profiles.asp?id=67

This one would be suitable for putting a 20mm diameter stainless steel rod or tube inside. Seems to be made in Belgium.
Its an example of another product that might be of interest.
If we could find aluminium extrusions of the right shape and materials, it could be that they could be welded together to produce a cheap working foil.
There may also be a possibility of using epoxy and glass fibre inside the aluminium extrusions for strengthening and bonding to other components.
Attachments
superwing_profielond_r_pix(1).jpg
superwing_profielond_r_pix(1).jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:43 pm

You can see here some prices for aluminium aerofoil sections from Vortech International. Seems to put these ones outside the price bracket we would be looking for.

http://www.vortechinternational.com/

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:49 pm

This seems a more affordable aerofoil.

http://www.weiku.com/products/5824247/E ... Blade.html

Return to “Hydrofoil”