A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Carafino Update: Race Board Logo

Postby revhed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Hello,
I was personally at Ciotta, France for the first to my knowledge kite foil only race in 2012.
I am pretty sure I saw most all the foils there, did not see even 1 (one) carafino, period!
I have not missed the Mondial du Vent in Lucate for many years, other that seeing one around 2008, again simply not there and no way in the race in 2013.
festikite also started in 2013, again no carafs in sight and MANY foilers there.
And to finish Defi kite race between Gruissan and Port Nouvel no where to be seen.
All of the above races can be seen on youtube, but do not waste your time looking for any carafino products, they were not there. Have a look and see that these were not little gatherings but full on real organized races.
Old first generation carafino kite board hydrofoils are simply not competitive with most, if not all of the newer designs, if they have not already broken.
revhed

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rotule » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:59 pm

james wrote:Cavitation in the true sense is when the pressure gets too high and the water begins to boil,

So what do you really mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

Cavitation has nothing to do with high pressure, its exactly the opposite

He must have ment the place where the flow goes from laminar to turbulent perhaps?

intheloop
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pallarenda
Favorite Beaches: Alva Beach, lizard Island Mangrove Beach, PNG, Lucinda
Style: Freestyle, Freeride, Race, Speed
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: International Teamrider at Ozone, Patagonia, Temavento

Postby intheloop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Mango you do claim a lot and your inappropriate and unprofessional way of responding to people on here underlines what type of claimer you are. The fastest Hydrofoil on the market, yea right. Lets see how your foils hold up against Spotz, Sword, Kitefoil Australia and Aguera at the event next week in Mexico.

Also your website claims that your foils are made in Germany. That factory doesn't look like a German factory at all, just another claim?

Good luck to you and your $1000 board and foil packages I'm sure you can sustainably maintain producing high quality foils and boards at that price.

Taaroa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Frejus
Gear: sword 2 - elf kite
Brand Affiliation: Taaroa

Postby Taaroa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 am

Hi

This new revolution Tbar is only a tbar who was tested in 2011, nothing new

Last edited by Taaroa on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Arcsrule wrote:i could stand to lose 10 lbs myself. So, no more cheeseburgers until my carrifino package arrives :)

Gunner offered up some very good advise/info of foils. his take was the foil shape in racing was not that big a deal as he uses both. or that's the way i remember it.
I am not sure where you got that from, but let me clarify. I assume you are talking about the Wing and Profiles when you meant Foil.

In racing you will need a compromise between speed and control. It is very easy to make super high AR super fast wings, but they are super hard to control so you will not be able to get them to top speed and hold them there for long unless you are extremely good.

I am noticing that now as I am experimenting with wings of AR 12 and higher. These are so fast, but they demand so much more skill.

If you are racing it will almost make sense to use a foil which you can go fast on and still make every tack and gybe on instead of something that is faster, but you cannot control.

If you meant the Board, then you are right. To a good racer the size of the board will not make a performance difference as with air tacks and air gybes the board does not factor in.

--
Gunnar

lodwik
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island CA
La Ventana Baja Mexico
Favorite Beaches: both
Style: foiling
Gear: North kits
Carifino foil (2010 foil)
Lift foil (2013)
Zeeko foil (2013)

Postby lodwik » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

You are worrying about carafino's warranty .
I find this amusing as you are neglecting other manufacturers .
so far this year I have seen , broken Spots /swords /Zeeko/Lift :( (Lift was the only one that stood 100% behind his product ) :jump:
usage from 2 hours on the water to a max of 600mile all condition (8 to 34 mph) sailing .
Some manufacturers are good & other try to turn it around to user error . :cry: & if you are lucky the manufacturer may help .
from what I see , so far there is no foil out there that has stood up to 100Kg riders doing large amounts of free style wave sailing .
the average foils are used in light wing & race wing which is low stress , free style , Swell ,20mph plus & high up wind angles is extremely High stress ,
My original Carafino foil still has the longest life of anything I have so far seen .2,000 mile before fatigue cracks appeared , but the boards where not good & Carafino admitted this .

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:53 pm

at Gunnar...

I'm remember you stating 5% difference between race and cruise...i'll have to do some research..

Still, you have the most knowledgeable poster on this forum, or at least that's the impression i get. If i miss quote you again, plese feel free to correct me. i am not an enginner or mfg, just an old guy trying to learn new tricks :) I'm still flying Arcs and flysurfers---QUITTER :)

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:41 pm

We have the kick off of the 2014 foil cup in a week and with all this talk I am sure Mr. Carafino is going to back it all up with his best racers on the line.
What results are you expecting Mr. Carafino?

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 pm

I don't know what all the pissing match is about... if you want to buy brand A buy it if you want brand B buy it.

if you want a full on race foil by a sword. if you want a easy learning foil buy a carafino or a lift.

there are a lot of players coming on the market coming out... There has been a lot of players oversea for the last 4-8 years. now they are starting to come to America. Prices are high , but to order a sword you need to prepay for it and wait a couple month also to get it. Small shops are HAND building these things.

Carafino is trying to get them into the general public hands . the CNC machine behind him in the picture is 100 000 USD plus alone not counting the aku shapper at 45 000 USD. time will tell if he gets these prepaid board and foils out... it has to cost a shit load just to ship them to the states. a box load on a ship is the cheapest way and I know full box is 100SUP so that would be like 200+ board and foils to make it cost effective in shipping.

if you can do better step up and buy the high end equipment and start mass producing foil for the general pubic also. Then there will be two types of foils on the market... the cost point and the high end point.

I have been looking at all the French brand at $1990.00 euro that is almost 4000 USD plus shipping and duties ( no free trade with the French that I know of) So the time you are done that is $5000.00 to ship it to my door. Yes there are some dealers in the states popping up here and there but this just started. so the cost is starting to drop...

this is just my 2 cents.
Terrie

intheloop
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pallarenda
Favorite Beaches: Alva Beach, lizard Island Mangrove Beach, PNG, Lucinda
Style: Freestyle, Freeride, Race, Speed
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: International Teamrider at Ozone, Patagonia, Temavento

Postby intheloop » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Taaroa wrote:Hi

This new revolution Tbar is only a tbar who was tested in 2011, nothing new

The flex is to important that is why everybody has leaved this shape, except mister carafino who have find this picture in an old file of his computer. It was easier to build that old tbar than create a new one.

And the front wing was create by Francky in France, we have send this wing to carafino, to see if he can produce it.

Otherwise, at this price it will be a good thing for people you want to buy a cheap foil. Just take care with warranty.

for memories : http://www.carafinouk.com/indexcara.html

Ludovic

he also told us that he designed the Sword for you

Return to “Hydrofoil”