A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

phlow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP

Repair Suggestions for Slingshot Alien Air / Lift NF2 Foil

Postby phlow » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi All

Down here in Turks & Caicos on a 2 week vacation. Awesome kiting and foiling with water so clear you cannot even see the waterline.

Unfortunately about 3 days into the trip, I was kiting at Long Bay, about a mile offshore in 8 feet of water / sand bottom when I snagged an old anchor rope at speed (22 knots). Effectively ripped the foil right out of the sliding track on the bottom of the board, and cracked one of the baseplate holes on the NF2 mast. The water is so clear that i could see the foil sitting upright on the bottom, was able to body drag over it, and catch it between my heels , lift it up and body drag in, I just let the board blow in to shore. The board took the worst of the damage, but both the foil and the board will need repairing.

Looking for advice and insights from any of you folks here on repairing either / both components.

FOIL
The foil sustained absolutely no damage to the wings, fuselage, lower mast surface, but one of the front mounting holes cracked.

I still have hole location, half the original hole intact. I was thinking to rebuild the corner ear with a slurry of epoxy resin and short chopped strand glass. The fracture surface is pretty rough so I figure if I cleaned it well I had a shot at getting decent wetout / adhesion. Any comments or suggestions?

BOARD

The board track took the worst of it. the brass mounting bolts effectively "pulled through" the track, breaking the tracks up and delaming a little bit of the outer level of glass on the board's bottom. The track boxes themselves appear to still be secure and well mounted into the board. I never move the foil forward and back anymore , leave it positioned at setting 4 cm. My thoughts were to convert the board to a direct fixed bolt through the board configuration. I was going to cut off the loose sections of fiberglass and the broken track "ear" segments, reglass, and refill the couple of areas on the walls of the tracks where a chunk of foam got pulled out by the track "ears" with epoxy resin. My repair questions:

• Should I go ahead and fill the sliding track channels with epoxy for extra rigitity / modulus? (I know this will add a bit of weight, but I figured not much)
  • What precautions / methods should I use for sealing the 4 through board holes? I had thought about putting aluminum cylindrical tube inserts epoxied to the open foam walls of the board core. Or do I not really need to worry about this as the board won't really be in the water that much? Other proven methods for sealing through holes on foam board construction?
  • I was thinking just large washers with pan head machine screws coming through from the deck with aircraft nylon insert hex lock nuts on the bottom. Alternatively I could use female threaded sex bolts like these https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_Combo_truss_head_Stainless_steel_18-8_Coarse_(standard)_thread_3_8_barrel_(5_16-18_thread).aspx coming in from the deck and epoxied into the holes to solve the through foam sealing issues from the prior bullet.

I wont get started on this repair until I get back to the US in a week , so any and all inputs appreciated between now and then.

Thanks all for your advice. Reply here or via PM.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Re: Repair Suggestions for Slingshot Alien Air / Lift NF2 Foil

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:24 pm

for the plate I would drill acouple of pins into it and stick carbon rod in them with epoxy and build around it. with chopped carbon... ( make it pretty like it was)

for the board. cut the boxes out. if you want to do the cross bolt plan I would dig out all bad foam around the boxes. get some corecell and epoxy it in. ( make sure the corecell goes all the way to the top skin) drill out your 4 bolt locations with a 1" drill bit but don't go throught the tip skin maybe just the tip of a forstner bit . tape the top hole on the top skin. mix up some epoxy and chopped carbon fill all four holes.. flush to the bottom . sand and then do a carbon patch with glass on top to support the foil plate. Sand make pretty. flip board over and drill out your 8mm bolt holes from the four marks on top .

this way the plus are watertight and strong enough to not pull through the board ( being solid carbon) with patch on bottom and skin on top

PM me if you need any more info

fixed a few foils and boards in the past year

terrie
http://www.jellyfishboards.com

Sir V
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sir V » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Best is to contact Nicholas Leason at MHLCustom and ask for advice. He madw the foils for Slingshot and has input on the boards. They are awesome at http://www.mhlcustom.com .. you'll sure get the proper way to fix it.

Cheers, V

bigwave
Frequent Poster
Style: Free ride,Freestyle, Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Cabrinha
Boards: Nobile, Aguera, Cabrinha ,Shinn
Harnesses: Dakine Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: www.silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:34 am

Sir V wrote:Best is to contact Nicholas Leason at MHLCustom and ask for advice. He madw the foils for Slingshot and has input on the boards. They are awesome at http://www.mhlcustom.com .. you'll sure get the proper way to fix it.

Cheers, V

The last place I would have anything fixed is at MHL. Your best option is with Terrie @ http://www.jellyfishboards.com . He will do an excellent Job!. He fixed one of my foils this season.
This is just my 2 cents to avoid you getting 4 cents at MHL....lol

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 am

I always suspected the rail system would that...better that than the foil though. Good luck!

ramin77
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: North Fuse 12m

Postby ramin77 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I had a very similar breakage occur with my slingshot alien air....also in turks and caicos, but it was coming down from a big jump. Hit the water just right and pulled the rails right out of the board. the foil plate is cracked in one corner but not completely broken. MHL said they could cut off the plate and mount a new one for around $200 plus shipping, it would shorten the foil by 3" but be good as new. (haven't done that yet).
With regards to the board, slingshot sold me a brand new alien air board for $400. I also ended up having a board company in San Fran cut out the broken rails and bound a new, much stronger box made from composite. This repair cost me $300. The gentleman who repaired it told me the way the board is build, the rails are not very strong and will not last with heavy use...hard landings, hitting objects, etc. :o

Good luck!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:19 pm

ramin77 wrote:I had a very similar breakage occur with my slingshot alien air....also in turks and caicos, but it was coming down from a big jump. Hit the water just right and pulled the rails right out of the board. the foil plate is cracked in one corner but not completely broken. MHL said they could cut off the plate and mount a new one for around $200 plus shipping, it would shorten the foil by 3" but be good as new. (haven't done that yet).
With regards to the board, slingshot sold me a brand new alien air board for $400. I also ended up having a board company in San Fran cut out the broken rails and bound a new, much stronger box made from composite. This repair cost me $300. The gentleman who repaired it told me the way the board is build, the rails are not very strong and will not last with heavy use...hard landings, hitting objects, etc. :o

Good luck!

Oh dear :( I was eyeing up the SS foil but I didn't like the rails before . . .

phlow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: North Rebels, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP

Postby phlow » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Terrie

Thanks much for your great advice. You mentioned PM but I decided to follow up here so that maybe others could benefit from your responses. A couple of follow up questions:

• Any advice on which grade / density of Corecell?
  • I imagine I should just try to get a small section of Thick (i.e. 1.5") sheet and put one strip in each section where the track boxes are today?

Thanks for any clarification.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-8 compact
Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Terries way of doing board thru plugs sounds good. Be careful of exothermic heat. Corecell or Divinycell or similar at 80 kg/m3 is good stuff.
For that plate would try Terries trick, but after forming corner and sanding nice, add layers of carbon and glass to flat base part, and layers of glass over entire top and fair to mast.
I would add like 3mm to flat base and 3mm on top.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:52 am

A-800 or A-1200 but remember the higher the number the heavier it will be
and yes use gorilla glue in the how where the boxes were.. make sure you put weigh ( clamp ) them in or it will push them out.

terrie
www.jellyfishboards

Return to “Hydrofoil”