All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why can't us foil manufacturers be civil with each other?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am at the World Cup in Germany, which also features the biggest Testival in Germany.

I am here with Peter Lynn and representing my Foils. There are a few other Foil manufacturers here.

I would have loved to test the foils of the other brands to see how they compare to each other, but it does not seem that they can get over themselves. I have no problem with letting other guys test my foils, and I also have no major problems with them taking some pics and measurements. In theory they can buy one, or borrow one from someone who has one.

Zeeko and Liquid Force where downright rude about it. Liquid Force actually tried lying to me saying that the foil had some problems and that they could not let it out. 30 minuted later, someone else with a Flysurfer Kite was out trying to learn on it. :cry:

I spent a large part of of my time here talking to all sorts of people about foils and how to build them, tune them and how to design them. To me there are a lot of well educated people out there who have some pretty cool ideas and by helping them out, I can learn a few things myself. We all win. In the end it will just get more people out there on a foil.

I would have found it civil of them to let me have a go and maybe get some useful feedback.

On another point:

Adrian Roper and me where also trying talking to them about standardising the width of the hole placement of the plate systems so that Board manufacturers could just produce one track system that fits all foils, but even this was met with stiff resistance.

I am really disappointed in the attitude of my fellow Foil Manufacturers or at least their Reps at the Event.

What is the problem with letting other brands try your product at a test event. Are you so afraid of what we might think?

And what is the problem with coming up with a standard mounting width? We should be just be able to sit down and vote and choose one width. At the moment we have a full range from 64mm to 100mm. Why not just say 100mm and be done with it and let the customers have some choice in boards?

I think we will sell a lot more foils if we went to a standard system and let Board brands concentrate on making boards, which will let us concentrate on making good foils.

--
Gunnar

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Why can't us foil manufacturers be civil with each other
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 pm 
Frequent Poster

Gunnar in a month or so you are more then welcome to try mine.. I see nothing wrong with it... then everyone will have a better base line to aim for... I was once a REP for a kite brand and I tried everything on the market to see what was better and worst. All the other reps ( different brands) Switched it up every now and then...

I only think that there is still too big of a pissing match on who is better then others. I would put money on that LF bought a couple of different foils already made and tooks some spec off each one to make theirs.

I didn't copy anyone I just did what I thought was right and went from there..

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey Gunnar, Gary here from Liquid Force. Sorry if we were rude..that foil that we have there is a proto and we had some issues encountered that deemed that we could not just let anyone use it...i am sorry if you talked to someone that was rude, for sure this in not our style..we did let the foil out with a couple of riders...the guy that you saw on the flysurfer and the foil was Julien our kite designer! i will tell you this much he is not learning! he can pretty much hand anyone a lesson on the foil... I wish you would have tracked down Julien or myself and we would have gladly let you run it knowing that you have some experience and know the ropes. again..not trying to be rude here..but as you know the conditions that day were beyond light and the water shallow..not the best conditions for some guy or gal that just wants to give it a go for the first time on a proto..if we had more there we would of let everyone give it a go..run it into the sand..drop them on the beach..drag it though the lappers..etc!!!!!!!

anyway! love for you to try ours..you have an open invitation...head on over there and talk to Michael..give it a whirl! they are there through the weekend...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Gary.

I will pop by on Sunday. Today is a bit windy.

I did make it clear to the guy I spoke to that I can foil well and know
The beach here well. I actually had my foil with me at the time.

Bygones ;-)

I look forward to trying it on Sunday. Yesterday evening would have been
great.

--
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:22 pm 
Medium Poster

So did you see anything else interesting there in the way of foils?
Is Adrian going to start making foilboards?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yes.

The liquid force foil has a few things that I find interesting and would not have thought could work, so really looking forward to see how it rides.

Zeekos new.foil looks very interesting and uses a symmetrical tail wing profile. So definitely would like to see if they got that to work.

Adrian (axis kiteboards) will be bringing out 2 foilboards for 2015. One raceboard and one surfstyle board.

Attachment:
IMG_680759575727144.jpeg
IMG_680759575727144.jpeg [ 103.02 KIB | Viewed 982 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_680759575727144.jpeg
IMG_680759575727144.jpeg [ 103.02 KIB | Viewed 982 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

might be the angle but that foil looks like it has a super thick front wing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:47 am 
Medium Poster

Good to see we'll be able to get quality boards down under. Its expensive to source them from US or Europe. (on the assumption they wont be made in Asia)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi.

LOL.
There are covers on the front wing :-)

Went to the LF stand today to test. Was told to send greetings to Gary from Tom and told that there is no way in hell that they would let me test it.

--
GUNNAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

gmb13 wrote:
Hi.

LOL.
There are covers on the front wing :-)

Went to the LF stand today to test. Was told to send greetings to Gary from Tom and told that there is no way in hell that they would let me test it.

--
GUNNAR

v disappointing..... sounds like their PR is an omnishambles

Looking forward to hear more on the boards & foils :D

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next