Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Seaweed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

rofer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: None :(
Gear: Anything I can get my hands on.
Kites include fixed bridles, nasa wings, closed foils, and arcs.
I've got a snowboard, mountainboard, and two kiteboards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Seaweed

Postby rofer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:09 pm

How big of a problem is it? Googling didn't turn up a whole lot and searching here gets some his, but it's hard to tell how much of a problem it is. I have a liquid force foil arriving soon and I figure I should know a bit more about potential hazards before I head out.

When you hit it do you usually crash, or do you just slow down and get less efficient?

Is there a risk of damaging the foil from seaweed alone?

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft
LFSolo
Moses HF.

Re: Seaweed

Postby Wielandt » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Yes to your first two qustions. Slow you Down and if thick enough turn you over. Never had any damages. If to much seaweed I switch to my shinnster soo I still can pratice jibes and tacks. :D

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 pm

In deep water seaweed around here is often in clumps and sometime strung along in long lines on the surface Most times you can cut right through the long thin stuff. I avoid the clumps and they are easier to see from up there. I don't think you could cut through those. I didn't have any real issue last year until I tried to foil in a spot that was too shallow to get going without the foil fowling up in the weeds that were still growing on the bottom as apposed to loose and floating. I think a better foiler would have been fine.

3InletsWindsports
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:52 am

Seaweed is good and bad.
It's bad when you collect it on foil and go all wonky.
Good when you just have a wonky day and can blame the weed. :jump:

rofer
Medium Poster

Postby rofer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:54 am

Just what I was hoping to hear. It's something to avoid, but it's not a big deal like shallow rocks or partially submerged logs.

I know at least one spot I'm hoping to eventually foil can get some long seaweed from time to time and I'm glad to know it's not a big deal.

juandesooka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS & Ocean Rodeo

Postby juandesooka » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:38 am

bull kelp can range from a pain to a bit of a nightmare. If loose, they will grab on and slow you down, but can usually shake it off with some speed. But if you hit a big clump, you'll come to a stop quick, and it can be challenging to get out ... the foil is anchored in it, you are being pulled downwind, so you can be like that cartoon guy streeeetttttching.

To get out past it, I find best way is to lay on board upside down, with foil over back shoulder and skim over it

Being stuck in a big patch of kelp can be a little claustrophobic....or possibly even dangerous if you got tied up badly.

rofer
Medium Poster

Postby rofer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:41 am

juandesooka wrote:bull kelp can range from a pain to a bit of a nightmare. If loose, they will grab on and slow you down, but can usually shake it off with some speed. But if you hit a big clump, you'll come to a stop quick, and it can be challenging to get out ... the foil is anchored in it, you are being pulled downwind, so you can be like that cartoon guy streeeetttttching.

To get out past it, I find best way is to lay on board upside down, with foil over back shoulder and skim over it

Being stuck in a big patch of kelp can be a little claustrophobic....or possibly even dangerous if you got tied up badly.

Huh, I hadn't considered that, but it totally makes sense. I've found myself stretched out a bit just with the twintip, I can only imagine what it would be like with a foil that's stuck. Thanks for the heads up and the way to get around it!

logsdon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 10m
Flysurfer Sonic 11m, 18m
Flysurfer Psycho 6m

Postby logsdon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm just starting out learning and the winds been pretty weak so I've been using my hoverglide behind a boat on a lake. You can tell as soon as you start picking up weeds. Gets harder to foil, needs more back foot pressure, to the point where it nose dives and you're off. Now I just use the 24" behind the boat, picks up less weeds.

=J-

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:15 am

A single blade of long grass around the mast is enough to notice the extra drag, and has an annoying habit of sucking air down and venting the foil.

Have hit a dead bass at speed and it knocked me off too.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 am

yes, weed is an issue. If you cut through it you just get a wobble.

If it is thick enough to stick to the foil you're probably going in. Sometimes you can just about carry on until it falls off.

all in all it sucks but doesn't do any damage.

Return to “Hydrofoil”