All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nice read
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Saw this on kitesurfing thread and thought it merited being here, thanks Hugh2 for posting.
http://stevebodner.blogspot.com/2015/03
I love this line,
"This just might be the best thing that ever happened to me."
RH

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Nice read
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
A great read of a beginners account of learning to foil.
I had to laugh at the video.

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:52 am 
Rare Poster

Nice read, indeed :) Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Haha, my progress followed that pretty much exactly as well. Is that a Spotz1 in both the video and in the pictures/description?

I learned on a Delta foil which is a small racing wing as well. After talking to someone who owned both the Delta foil and the Spotz1, he said that the Delta would be a bit easier to learn on than the Spotz. I haven't gotten a chance to try any other foil yet, so can't really compare, but I see some reports from Liquid Force riders saying that they were foiling significant distances (over 100m) after an hour on the first session? Is that typical? For me, it was more like Steve Bodner's experience in the link, more like 5 sessions to be going any significant distance.

I'm sure a lot of people were/are in the same position as me. I wanted to be on a race foil, but didn't know if I should start out on a freeride foil. Some said it would be crazy to start on a race foil. Some said it didn't matter because going to the race foil was like going back to day 1 anyway. What's everybody's thoughts on this? If your end goal is a race foil, do you go straight to the race foil?

I was very luck to have an experienced foil rider go out on my foil on day 1 and show me it was possible and give me some advice on where to adjust the footstrap positions. As stated in the link, my thought after day 1 was "How is it even possible to ride this thing!? This thing must be broken." Without my buddy riding it to show it was possible I might have sent it back after day 1 :lol:

[ 4 posts ]