Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kite works in really (marginal) light wind conditions

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What kite works in really (marginal) light wind conditions

Postby Randahl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 am

I gather some of us are attracted to foils in part by the light wind possibilities. I was wondering what big kites you all have had success with when its really borderline light. And I'm talking inflatables only.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What kite works in really (marginal) light wind conditio

Postby robertovillate » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 am

Randahl wrote:I gather some of us are attracted to foils in part by the light wind possibilities. I was wondering what big kites you all have had success with when its really borderline light. And I'm talking inflatables only.
a few vintage kites come to mind:
2006 BEST 20m Waroo...kills it in super light wind...almost as good as a FS 21 Speed

probably hard to find though.

I have a 2007 16m BEST Bularoo that does really well also...but not as well as the 20m Waroo. Both of these kites were built with light construction and a re super stable in light wind.

I've recently been flying my 15m CORE XR2LW side by side with the 20 Waroo and 21 Speed mentioned above. the 15m Core is a little better and a little faster upwind until I hit the critical wind speed, which I would say at around 8-9 kts the other 2 kites have the advantage. I would love to compare the 17m and 19m Core XR3LW to these other big kites.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:52 am

Of all the kites I have tested
Ozone Edge 19
Ozone Edge 17
flysurfer speed 3 deluxe 21
ocean Rodeo 17.5
Cabrinha crossbow 16
Cabrinha switch blade 14

In marginal conditions, the kite barely flies, a high aspect ratio race kite will work better than a low aspect ratio kite. So any modern race kite that is light and flies more into the wind will work better. A high depower travel race bar is also important once the board lifts off the water.
Last edited by Hawaiis on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:05 am

Try longer lines.
30, 40 ,50 m, +?
Maybe a wider bar for more control ratio.
Kite loops to water start.
Maybe you are not getting the full performance from the kites you already have?
An understanding of apparent wind helps.
Knowing that DOWN kite loops at the wind window edge can save a swim.
Flying close enough to shore, but SAFE, just in case.
just some thoughts?
R H

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I am also asking what kites have been good at staying in the air in these conditions. The saying goes, "if you can fly your kite, you can foil." So what have been the kites that you don't have to constantly manage in the light conditions while you are negotiating all the other aspects of getting started on the foil, like traversing to deep water or setting your feet in the straps. It's nice to have a kite that parks and waits for you to get your show together.

Anyone tried a strutless like the cloud 17? If so, how did they perform while riding? Pushing the upwind envelope?

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Randahl wrote:I am also asking what kites have been good at staying in the air in these conditions. The saying goes, "if you can fly your kite, you can foil."
I think this is a good question and clarification of the discussion. I have not learned how to ride a foil board yet but I see how much more efficient they are (using a smaller kite). So this opens up a lot of possibilities. Light weight is the key and I think you could probably use a good 12m kite with the foil board. I know you only asked for "inflatables" but the single skin foils are super light weight and fly in the lightest wind from my experience, and fantastic power/size ratio....just sayin. Unless they come up with some new super light weight bladder material and sail cloth it's going to be hard for an LEI to beat the weight issue.
Last edited by robertovillate on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:55 pm

For really marginal wind, the biggest foilkites is hard to beat, but for a tubekite the Edge 19 with its extremely low weight and made for light wind racing is for sure among the very best
:thumb:

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:58 pm

The foil kites will stay in the air in lower wind than most LEIs, but I have been at time unable to go up wind or even hold the ground and can only go down wind with both type of kites. So the limiting factor for me, I weight 145 right now, is not the lightness of the kite, but the power it will generate to get it going. Hydrofoils do require more power to get going, so a fast moving kite is more suitable than the slow moving 21m foil kite.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Guttorm wrote:For really marginal wind, the biggest foilkites is hard to beat, but for a tubekite the Edge 19 with its extremely low weight and made for light wind racing is for sure among the very best
Yes, nothing matches the Edge 19m in light wind perfoprmance.

However I am finding that I need less kite with my foilboard so I am looking for a smaller kite, like a 13m perhaps, that would stay in the air in very light wind. (My Edge 13m does not). Perhaps a foil kite will be the answer. I am curious about the new Ozone foil kite. We shall see.

And in light wind I find that getting my board up foiling is easy.. I just do a quick kiteloop to generate a surge of power. Obviously the kite has to be small and responsive enough to loop.

:wink: CG

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:25 pm

cglazier wrote:
Guttorm wrote:For really marginal wind, the biggest foilkites is hard to beat, but for a tubekite the Edge 19 with its extremely low weight and made for light wind racing is for sure among the very best
Yes, nothing matches the Edge 19m in light wind perfoprmance.
Not entirely sure this is correct.

FS 21m has a better low end. Not top end, but low end.

Return to “Hydrofoil”