Gear: Ozone Edges
RRD Rapida
Airush Sector 60
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What kite works in really (marginal) light wind conditio

Postby Edge19 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 am

davesails7 wrote:Edge, 2012 dyno and dyno ltd were disappointments. 2011 dyno was great and i hear the 2013 was a return to greatness.

I had the LTD for a while, but luckily held on to my 2011 18m dyno. Sold the LTD and riding the 2011.

I do want to try the 19m edge, but havent gotten a chance yet. Hoping that the market is flooded with used 19m with the racers moving to the ozone chrono and generally smaller kites for foiling
Hi Dave,

I don't think the market will be flooded with 19s as they are keepers..... Im sure they will be like rocking horse doo doo. Have a crack on one and you will see why :D . I bet the Chrono is an awesome kite but at least you know a 19 will float till the wind pics up again. I've not needed to relaunch her yet luckily, but I read they relaunch surprisingly well. I know relaunch ing in light wind can be hit or miss, but I would prefer the cards in my favour ie it will float.
Incidentally my mate caught a wing tip of his 21 shortly after.... Well that baby got caught in the out going tide.... Well lets just say that was the biggest wet duvet cover that crashed into a fishing net you have ever seen.... Got filled full of silt to boot.... Took three of us to get it back on the beach...... That was one wet muddy pig.
Other than yeah not a bad kite.

Ps.
I must admit the Ltd was a lot better than the 2012 Had good low end grunt but went all silly when the wind picked up. I was questioning myself selling it and could not make my mind up to go for a 17 edge or 19. In the end I thought it's for light wind so don't mess about go 19. My concern was being over powered when it picked up but that has never been the case.
I know foils don't need as big a kite to work but we all know the feeling of being at the beach wishing you had a bigger kite on a light wind day. You lucky guys weighing 75kg can get away with smaller kites, but us more meaty bods still need enough pull to get out of the water !!!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 am

Randahl wrote:The C2 version of the Cloud has just been released. The 17m weighs 2.74kg. They are generally considered to be powerful for their size, so the 12m or 14.5m would maybe be more suitable for a foil in light winds.
This past weekend a guy was out on a C2 17 and twin tip in 14-18 mph but gusty winds and he came in and traded down because he said he felt overpowered.[/quote]

Are you sure it was a C2 and not a C1?

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 pm

My bad, it was indeed a C1, but with the bridle modification

Randahl
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay

Postby Randahl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 pm

To anyone who has had experience with the BRM Cloud Kites,

What would be the low-end on the C1 13m if you were riding a foil?

What would be the top range for a C2 14.5m if you were riding a twin tip?

Randahl
Medium Poster

Postby Randahl » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm

So I got the C2 14.5 m from Maui Boardriding. I have to say it is a great kite and I think the right choice for those low-end days, for me anyway. I posted my review of it in another forum.

I was on the water first and off the water last, after two Fat Ladies and one Core XR2 and an ASV.

I have taken the other advice to heart about smaller kites. I took my 9m Switchblade out, which I never thought I would use in San Diego. It worked great in 14-18 mph winds. Being able to maneuver is a big benefit I did not realize.

Return to “Hydrofoil”