Strapped or strapless ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Strapped or strapless ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi

If we look away from those racing, or aiming for race - what do you prefer then, strapped or strapless hydrofoil ?

In my eyes, a hydrofoil is perfect strapless :thumb:

Compared to all other boards, where straps makes sense, because you either jump or ride on a choppy surface, or do both.

But with hydrofoiling you ride without ANY chop or bumps at all, and you dont need to push in the straps, and you dont have an extreme kite pull either.

Perfect strapless, and feels way better too IMO.

On the other hand - for learning, or racing, or jumping or just fast starts - straps are usefull (necessary actually).

So ups and downs of both.

What do YOU prefer (when not racing), if you had to choose one or another, and can not do both ?

1. Strapless hydrofoilboard.
2. Strapped hydrofoilboard.

I've seen one downside with straps - they are quite tough on your upper ancles because it, especially starting, is a very unusual stress that the body is not used to - so inflammable tendons happens quite fast :o
You actually "lift the board with pointed toes" :roll:
Not my cup of tea :cry:
Could also just be me of course...

But as said - when not racing, do you prefer straps or not ?
Many advantages with straps, indeed :naughty:

Around here everybody use straps (at least front strap or straps) - but most, or every single hydrofoiler here, are aiming for racing, so that explains.

8) Peter

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Strapped or strapless ?

Postby Hawaiis » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Strapless for me.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 am

Strapless as soon as I can get coordinated enough to not need one to manipulate the board when trying to start,

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:12 am

First year - strapless.
Next years - it looks like straps due to jumping & kitelooping.

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:52 am

Strapless.....dont see why you would jump with a foil board....

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:47 am

OK Peter, now I understand why you don't like fast racekites for foiling.. :wink:

Indeed, for cool strapless foiling you are better with a low AR front wing and a low AR kite.

I have the Edges with the racebar on my Spotz and it's maybe related that I also feel better with three straps than with one or zero. Now it would be good to get skilled enough to ride cool with this stuff also..

TopLine
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fremantle, Western Australian Coast Line
Style: Kite Racing
Gear: Ozone Kites, TemaVento Race board, Taaroa Sword Foil and TMV foil board.
Brand Affiliation: Intheloop

Postby TopLine » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 am

Straps better - two reasons I find

1 - When positioning foot onto board before power kite up and get going. Better to have a strap to hold board to your foot and can keep it in a good position.

2 - when running off the wind and reaching a rear strap helps to support the foil under your foot so you can drive the kite and muscle it a little. I find running downwind with no straps hard to keep the board from going where ever it wants to some times, esspecially when you loop kite, ballance needs to be spot on if not in straps. And at good speed you have brown shorts moments. Overall its easier to not fall off so much when straps are used and you get use to having them.

On the downside as there always is. When in straps and the board vents or dolphins if your not concentrating it could be harsh on your ankle when bailing off and not getting foot our properly. I practice bailing and launching superman style so when it does happen its like muscle memory I can just get well clear of everything.

I have seen clips of guys using foils strapless an my mate even does it a lot but I am talking race foiling mainly - free ride you don't need to drive so hard upwind down wind and can get away with just cruising on-top the board.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 am

lezo wrote:OK Peter, now I understand why you don't like fast racekites for foiling.. :wink:

Indeed, for cool strapless foiling you are better with a low AR front wing and a low AR kite.

I have the Edges with the racebar on my Spotz and it's maybe related that I also feel better with three straps than with one or zero. Now it would be good to get skilled enough to ride cool with this stuff also..
Hmmm, you are maybe right about the racekites, as I dont like smaller kites that just continue pulling too much (so no low AR delta kites either, better with faster wave kites) - but I still dont like too low AR wings as they are too slow and not easy to ride fast downwind through waves or chop waves (which we always have).
A race foil, which besides being higher AR also is less cambered, will blast through everything much easier :thumb:

Of course also give you bigger "foil bombs" ha haa - but that is the fun :naughty:

But not necessarily giver you better VMG up or downwind though, compared to a medium wing :roll:

We are, in general terms worldwide at least, only in the early stages of being "educated" in foils - and I am pretty sure that there are so many aspects of this, and in some instances a low cambered small foil works better, in others you want the higher cambered maybe slightly bigger foil.

It is NOT either or IMO - but a balance depending on conditions also :D

8) Peter

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm

I am still amazed foot hooks are never mentioned anywhere. Only strapped or strapless. Why not enjoy all 3? All types are great depending on what you are doing. Foot hooks once modified down to give just a little bit of hold are often my favorite. They are great for when you just need a little help, but can easily move around and most importantly, not enough to trap your foot in any situation.

Tfcm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Cronulla, Kurnell, Umina Beach
Style: Race, Foil & Wave
Gear: TemaVento RC70
Custom DIY Foil
Custom wave boards
Naish Park
ASV

Postby Tfcm » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 am

Quite a few guys I've been seeing are using front footstraps only... Does that make them Semi-strapless or semi-strapped?

Return to “Hydrofoil”