Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The predator Surf Straps

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Europ2
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

The predator Surf Straps

Postby Europ2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:06 pm

tkettlepoint wrote: ok found my horns from OZ... you can take off the round button or leave it on. Hell I know even know where I seen them to order them it has been that long ago. have had them for a lot of years and never used them now I have a reason to use them to learn
terrie
2 picts.jpg
2 picts.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Following tkettlepoint above post, just wanted to focus on this very clever foot straps that, IMHO, would be ideal for Kitefoilers, for both beginners and experts

Does somebody know if they have been exported outside Australia ? Are they still available somewhere ?

It can be mounted semi closed (black part at the rear of your foot) or totally open as on the picture bellow

Image ImageImage

Here is the original product description (Jan 2007 to Dec 2008)
predatorsurf.com wrote: Predator Surf Straps have been designed out of necessity to surf waves better. Tow-in surfers, kiteboarders, windsurfers, skimboarders and landboarders, will be able to use more of the surface area of the board to control their speed and maneuverability, rather than being strapped into one position.

Predator Surf Straps have been developed to change the future of water based board sports, especially in the waves. Predator Surf Straps allow you to generate speed from the firmness of the strap, stall and do carving turns when the foot is on the tail, and boost big air when your feet are in the straps.

Riders can use their board either goofy or natural without removing the straps to adjust them - by using the bridge of their foot to push the strap into position they can change their stance.

Predators are the safest surf strap available. The Predator Surf Strap is forward mounted and the back of the strap is completely open. Easy to escape from, the rigid yet flexible form reduces the amount of foot ankle and knee injuries that can be caused by being locked into fixed foot straps. Predator Lock Blocks can be installed to give a more traditional strapped in feel. The optional Lock Block is fixed to the underside of the strap - not to the board. It holds your foot in position, but allows for a quick exit when wiping out in most situations.

Predator Surf Straps are made from a semi flexible plastic inner, surrounded by a soft spongy rubber. A wedge kit is also provided to adjust the tilt of the strap, that will either tighten or loosen the arch support, and give added comfort.

Two years of research and development have gone into the Predator Surf Strap. Board riders can now experience the best of both worlds - strapped or unstrapped. Enjoy!!!!!!!

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The predator Surf Straps

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:59 pm

I have been looking around online for them and they are no where to be found now. I asked a couple of friends that had a set too and they don't know were theirs got off too...

I got mine shipped right from OZ to Canada when I got them back when they first came out.

maybe someone will have to bring a set out something like it for the foilers now.

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:41 pm

some one could re-invent and make a few bucks :) I don't even have my foilboard yet but I'm already thinking of ways to make the 'horn' as pictured on another thread.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:52 pm

once I get my other project done... I might try to do some kind of horn too for a foil. a little cnc work and some injection foam .

terrie

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:09 pm

I think the easiest make would be to get some 1/4" aluminum plate by 1" wide. Shape your 's' in a vise, round all the edges with a file, then wrap with some old neoprene. (everyone's got an old sacrificial wetsuit)
I've had luck using the 3m spray adhesive #77, would probably do great for wrapping the neoprene.

wdric
Frequent Poster

Postby wdric » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Arcsrule wrote:some one could re-invent and make a few bucks :)
If there was a few bucks in it they might still be available :o

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tkettlepoint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:06 am

wdric are you the invertor of them? or know who made them? I am sure with all the new foil people that are coming out this year they might sell

terrie

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:10 am

wdric wrote:
Arcsrule wrote:some one could re-invent and make a few bucks :)
If there was a few bucks in it they might still be available :o
Actually, at the time when he decided to give the business up (2008 according to his web site):
- IMHO, the surf market was not his ideal target,
- the windsurf practice had already found its ideal footstrap model ala Dakine
- strapless kiteboarding had foot hooks since 2006 but also stopped circa 2008 (Airush ? 2 years like the Predator)
... so their wasn't a proper or sustainable market IMHO.

I remember circa 2009 to 2011 that many foilboarders on the Kitefoil forum where crying out for an on/off device but foot hooks had disappeared from Europe (had to be ordered from NSI) and Predators where so local to Australia that nobody had even heard about them.

Now that there is this new market arriving with many people anxious to preserve their ankles and looking for a true ON/OFF comfy solution, wdric, if you can have a word with Sean about it, keep us posted please :) :)

Wdric, if you have a spare pair, since you are from Oz, I am sure Marvin and the KFA team would be happy to test/adapt/improve and maybe advert them ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

The Townsville GoldCup event is coming ... it's time to wake up the injection press in the garage :jump: :jump:

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:07 am

Maybe NSI can be convinced to make something like the Predator. They make a nice looking foot hook, so it would probably be easy for them to make the longer "horn".

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:29 am

All you would need would be some sheet thermoform plastic, a heat gun, some EVA, 2 socks, and a drill.

Might try it out as I have all those things laying around

Return to “Hydrofoil”