Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

impact vest & helmet

Postby Scuba » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:20 am

Hi guys an gals
Thinking of buying an impact vest.
Most Foilers I see these days always wear an impact vest and helmet
How about you people? Do you wear a vest or helmet?
What would be the worst injury that you have received while Foiling?
Cheers
Steve
Last edited by Scuba on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: impact vest & helmet

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:33 am

And a thick wetsuit. The worst is probably hit on the head by the fins.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:01 am

Was hit in the ass by the foil ;) also snapped a anckle. Dont use helmet but impact vest.

Thick neoprene as it is damm cold to ride comparing to other disciplines. (You go faster and dont use the same amount of energy).

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:53 pm

I perforated an eardrum years ago kiting and have 'surfers' ear so wearing a helmet on the foil seemed like a good idea to me (I wasn't wearing one on the race board but probably would now) My vest is a Mystic pfd style thing. Kind of chunky but great when crashing with speed and height. Some people use neither though. One thing that been an issue around here is people cutting their hands, either on the foil, or on their lines if/when the foil ends up entangled in them. Something to watch out for. I ended up with a cut on the bottom of my foot on day 2 or 3 from kicking around the board without thinking it through.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:46 pm

When learning, I used a helmet and a full suit, very fast, eventhough starting in a summer shorty.

As I would otherwise cut my feet and legs on the carbon foils, and I had no idea where the board "went" when falling (as I was alone here, learning).

Also, it was stinging jellyfish season, so I was almost hurt to tears every time (could not sleep, and my body was steaming moist from the arms and legs all night) - so used a full suit for a while.

Now, I dont wear a helmet (but might do it as the board WILL continue on its own and hits you now and then), and as I ride "more" than when starting, I will also be able to foil in shorts or shorty.

And you dont get "cut" by the foil anymore - that was just in the beginning when learning and you were fumbling stupidly around sometimes...

I am lucky, to have quite "closed" ear channels (dont know the correct word), so can easily get wax that can close - but at least never perforated eardrums - so dont need anything to protect :naughty:

Having said that - I can always recommend a helmet though, as the board WILL hit you quite often.

Also, falling (MANY many times) at high speeds from almost 1 meter higher than on other boards, will make your neck really really sore for days.... Even WHEN you are used to it :roll:
You get such a power crash slam bang when you land - and when it is winter cold water like right now (I never use a hood), you (well, I) dont "relax" when hitting the water ha haa :rollgrin:

Not sure what good an impact west will do though ?

But a helmet, indeed :thumb:

8) Peter

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 pm

ozchrisb wrote:I perforated an eardrum years ago kiting and have 'surfers' ear so wearing a helmet on the foil seemed like a good idea to me . One thing that been an issue around here is people cutting their hands, either on the foil, or on their lines if/when the foil ends up entangled in them. .
The helmet is good not only to prevent the surfers ear, but, if it is light enough, can also save your neck if you slamm at high speed.

Entangled foils in lines are the worst thing for me when foiling. It may happen when your kite falls into the water and you are disconnected with the board. Foilboards drift much faster than TT and may reach the lines of your kite quite soon.
We were discussing the best solution to this situation after the regatta in Gdynia half a year ago, and foilracers came with the best solution for such a situation.
At all costs you should keep the kite in the water until you untangle the board and foil from the lines.

Just Keep flying.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:52 pm

How does a Helmet save your neck, when hitting the water ???

8) PF

Scuba
Medium Poster
Gear: Nobile 666,

Postby Scuba » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks for your replies
I was thinking if you take a whack on the head or become winded you would still be able to float with the vest on,
And if you drop the kite in light conditions it would be easier to tread water with a vest on,
I only wear a 1mm top and nitrous harness shorts so not much buoyancy,
I was looking at the NPX vest ,already have a Gath helmet it saved my life once back in the day.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 am

Peter_Frank wrote:How does a Helmet save your neck, when hitting the water ???
It was when I was speeding 23 knots and front foil ventilated. The foil went one direction and me the other.

As the kite was quite high, I was hanged underneath like a tilted pendulum, which added some knots to my speed.
I was moving backwards when I hit water with my bottocks. This gave the rotation to my body, so my head was my fastest moving part of my body.

The hit of spine and shoulders into the water slow down the rotation, but my head kept moving. I was happy my speed was only 23 knots.
The neck pain diminished after a few hours. But since then I wear a light helmet when I plan to push the limits.

The role of the helmet is to slow down your head, not to protect your scull. The best helmet for it is foamy one kickboxers are using.

Hope it is understandable.
Just Keep Flying

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:25 am

Hi,
Remember the days when no one wore a bike helmet?
As well as the days when on the ski slopes you rarely even saw one.
It seems that people are getting smarter and using a brain bucket!
Forgot mine 2 days ago and now my ears are sensitive again and sport a nice bump on the back of my head because the foil flew up and bit me, again!
IMHO when going out thru waves it is manditory even before you are even up and flying!
I know it looks so teletubies but I mount my gps on top of mine figuring that it gets the best sat view and stays out of the h20 the most.
Now to be way out there, How many people would be alive if they had a helmet on before a crash in so many activities including driving a car?
As I just previewed this post I also thought about the fact that a brightly colored helmet sure makes it easier for others to see you for many saftey reasons! :thumb:
Sometimes I think to invent the old guy foil crash neck support collar as it seems to be the point of pain. :idea:
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”