harness advice for foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: harness advice for foiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Agree 100% with ozchrisb :thumb:

Harnesses are extremely individual, so recommendations dont make sense :-?

Only one way to go, TRY !

Sometimes even hanging in the shop for a long time, wont tell you if it works or not - only after many hours or days on the water, can you tell if a harness is horrible or perfect or something in between for you, IMO and experience (from windsurfing and kitesurfing).

8) Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm

I have some back problems and I find kiteboarding usually makes my back feel better :D

So like harnesses, back problems are very individual.

:wink:

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
kazi wrote::o

...ask Peter

I'm done here
Sorry, not my meaning to offend anyone :roll:

Sincerely apologize if that was the case :wink:

I think I better start a new thread instead, so I wont confuse things more...

8) Peter

No need to apologize Peter. :remybussi:

Both myself and cglazier gave him some specifics which he either missed or ignored. Translation issues perhaps?

I yield to you because I personally don't have hfoil experience which I believe you do.

Respect and Cheers

Sir V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Drifter, from Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sir V » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:01 am

kazi wrote:I use the JAY Dynabar with Dakine Nitrous shorts.

I can't and won't use anything else at this point. I had major back problems and can kite all day with this.
This is also my combo - Nitrous + Dynabar - I've used it for years and I recently started foiling. I don't switch, I ride toeside which I find much more comfortable (?) Yep, I do :lol: strange, huh..

But I must add - No pain => No pain.. that's all it comes down to :thumb:

V

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:13 am

Hey revhead,

Take a look at the Dynabar Harness. They worked on this for many years before making it available for sale. It combines both the features of a waist and seat harness, a little similar to the Dakine Nitrous but with more adjustment for personalizing the fit and distribution of loads with the waist belt...you can use it with the leg loops or alone as a waist harness. It is hard to find this product on their website (hopefully they are still making it) but you can see something on the facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JayXtHarness and then maybe contact them for more details if you are interested. They now have a forged spreader bar as an update to their welded dynabars, which looks pretty nice as well.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanx for all the info! :thumb:
It will be interesting to see how foilers respond to P F post, seat vs waist for foiling?
Funny that in searching for a harness I found a spreader bar, I will buy a jay dynabar for sue!
As I only foiled today I concentrated on my posture, heel side just fine, but toeside sure twists my back.
I think this can not be good?
Looks like d jay bar has a nice answer for this, I and my back hope!
As for harness still shopping but leaning O R convertible for that reason. Thanx Kazi!
Really thanx again!
R H

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:31 pm

That is some super relevant information. The Dynabar may make a lot of harnesses more comfortable. I've never really found a waist harness I like but the bar is probably a big part of the issue. That and my gut sticking out a bit too.....

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 pm

revhed wrote: As I only foiled today I concentrated on my posture, heel side just fine, but toeside sure twists my back.
R H
Hey RH,
I've been using the Dynabar for 5-6 years now. I am still using one of the prototypes, which still works great but not quite as slick as the newer spreader bar. I ride directional boards 90% of the time and this has been a great piece of equipment for me.

Not everyone likes the articulating hook, but it sounds like it will be an epiphany for you. I don't think I could ever go back to a fixed hook. I use the dynabar for snowkiting too (I use skis 95% of the time) and for snowkiting it is great too.

It is so much easier to be in the proper stance when the hook is not trying to pull you in the wrong direction. Also, the spreader bar does not torque and twist into your body if the kite is high, since the hook rotates in every direction. I use my dynabar with the hook sliding on dyneema. Some people still like the hook sliding on the metal rod, but the rope works best for me.

Sir V
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Drifter, from Cabrinha

Postby Sir V » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53 pm

robertovillate wrote:
revhed wrote: As I only foiled today I concentrated on my posture, heel side just fine, but toeside sure twists my back.
R H
Hey RH,
I've been using the Dynabar for 5-6 years now. I am still using one of the prototypes, which still works great but not quite as slick as the newer spreader bar. I ride directional boards 90% of the time and this has been a great piece of equipment for me.

Not everyone likes the articulating hook, but it sounds like it will be an epiphany for you. I don't think I could ever go back to a fixed hook. I use the dynabar for snowkiting too (I use skis 95% of the time) and for snowkiting it is great too.

It is so much easier to be in the proper stance when the hook is not trying to pull you in the wrong direction. Also, the spreader bar does not torque and twist into your body if the kite is high, since the hook rotates in every direction. I use my dynabar with the hook sliding on dyneema. Some people still like the hook sliding on the metal rod, but the rope works best for me.
You just gave something to think about. I've also used the Dynabar for years, had first the v2 now I have V5. I've never tried the rope, always used the steel slider bar. I will now try the Dyneema and will report back.

Cheers, R :D

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:30 am

haha...Here is a photo of my original Dynabar prototype...still working great. I have had and used the V3 and V5, but someone buys those sooner or later and I always come back around to "old faithful". At the time the prototype was developed they did not have one with a rope, so I experimented a little and then they developed models with rope option. I had a length of Dyneema that happened to be long enough to go "double" across the span, which is way over-kill, but certainly bomb-proof, and spreads the chafing out a little bit (which is not significant at all). I thin that Dyneema pictured has lasted over 3 years of hard use (150+ sessions/year water and snow)

I think this was the V1 from 2010

One nice think about the later versions was the rod slide is completely removable (whereas on my prototype, V1 and V2 they were welded). If you are riding a directional board (which is more fragile) it is sort of nice just having the rope in case you need to paddle your board in - because the hook and bar will not grind into your board like a fixed hook. The other nice thing is they pack easily without a fixed hook.

I'm drooling over the new forged bar...that looks nice and super strong!

But anyway the Dynabar really lets you crank your hips however you want and reduces the effort on your back for sure. So since I ride toeside almost half the time this is also really nice!

Return to “Hydrofoil”