All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Best relaunch in marginal conditions?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 pm 
Rare Poster

Just did my first real foiling today, and I'm pretty stoked about it. We had about 10 knots of wind, and I was on the old trustworthy 15m 2007 Waroo. It was all fine, and the kite did the job good. Could have done with a bit more grunt. Mainly because of my lack of foiling experience and my fat ass. Newer the less, I had to wait on the beach for an hour or two while others on bigger kites could get going.
Finally the wind picked up and I was able to get on the board. Got some nice riding in, and I learned a lot. -until I dropped the kite when quite far out. BUMMER! The old Waroos are quite good for a lot of things, but light wind relaunch is not one of them. So while getting dragged in with the kite in the water, leading edge down, I got to think about what kites relaunch super good in big sizes. I don't need a prober racekite yet, but what is the easiest relaunchable 17m on the market?
Any suggestions?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Best relaunch in marginal conditions?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:56 am 
Medium Poster

I allways found my Naish Fly relaunched really easy in marginal wind and im kinda annoyed i sold it.. Try and get a demo of a 15/18 Chrono, they are suprisingly not that bad ti relaunch, but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tfcm wrote:
I allways found my Naish Fly relaunched really easy in marginal wind and im kinda annoyed i sold it.. Try and get a demo of a 15/18 Chrono, they are suprisingly not that bad ti relaunch, but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong..

Yes, you wont find any LEI in these sizes that you can relaunch in the marginal wind, unless you get a gust to help you, but of course, if heavier there COULD be sufficient wind for a "good one".

A foil kite is the answer, pops up right away or backwards, but as Tfcm says, when it goes bad (and it will now and then), it can go REALLY bad :o

You have to expect days/situations where you can not relaunch even the very best "relauncher", no matter how light it is...

But some are better than others, indeed. Naish Fly, LF One and such types are quite light, also the Cloud, eventhough I dont know how it behaves if you get it TE down ?
Not many or any uses 5 line kites nowadays, but wouldnt they be easier to get turned on its back and maybe tilted TE down so they can be pulled up through the powerzone ?
I would think so, but dont know...

As I am medium weight, it is only when I ride a 7m2 I am able to relaunch such a std LEI (not a light one) most often, but again, not always, it could be too light and you are still foiling with a 7, till you might drop it and then it could be over...
With my 9m2 on the lower side, it is most often not possible - sometimes in gust yes, and only if I have my board :wink:

8) PF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tfcm wrote:

Yes, you wont find any LEI in these sizes that you can relaunch in the marginal wind, unless you get a gust to help you, but of course, if heavier there COULD be sufficient wind for a "good one".

A foil kite is the answer, pops up right away or backwards, but as Tfcm says, when it goes bad (and it will now and then), it can go REALLY bad :o

You have to expect days/situations where you can not relaunch even the very best "relauncher", no matter how light it is...

But some are better than others, indeed. Naish Fly, LF One and such types are quite light, also the Cloud, eventhough I dont know how it behaves if you get it TE down ?
Not many or any uses 5 line kites nowadays, but wouldnt they be easier to get turned on its back and maybe tilted TE down so they can be pulled up through the powerzone ?

As I am medium weight, it is only when I ride a 7m2 I am able to relaunch such a std LEI (not a light one) most often, but again, not always, it could be too light and you are still foiling with a 7, till you might drop it and then it could be over...
With my 9m2 on the lower side, it is most often not possible - sometimes in gust yes, and only if I have my board :wink:

8) PF

This is a video of someone without the board and in deep water, learning to relaunch the heavier (3.2kg) C1 17m Cloud (the C2 17m weighs 2.74kg).
At 28 minutes in, the wind has dropped to marginal for even keeping the canopy up, but he does reverse launch it and maybe could have kept it flying with the right sheeting at 28:45. It drops on it's back, but he is still able to get it to flip over into the nose down position ready for another reverse launch, but the wind must have not got to enough to try it again.
Greg (the Cloud designer) recommends just reaching up the front lines when the C2 kite is on it's back in very light wind and pulling in the right amount of tension and waiting for enough wind and it will take off.
I don't know which of the two methods works in the least wind.

Last edited by ronnie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:

I've ridden the 18m North Dyno 2011 with 5 lines quite a bit on my raceboard in marginal winds, and I don't think the 5th line helped much in trailing edge down relaunches. If it was light enough for that kite to backstall and wind up trailing edge down, there was pretty much no chance of relaunching. Also, I didn't think pulling on the fifth line really made much of a difference compared to pulling the two front lines when trailing edge down.

With leading edge down though, the fifth line definitely helped with relaunch. The race kites being high aspect ratio and flat don't roll up on their wingtip in light wind, so the fifth line really helped. Not sure the fifth line would make much of a difference for the freeride style lightwind kites that have a more swept back wingtip and curved leading edge to make it roll up on a wingtip by just pulling a rear line.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

I've ridden the 18m North Dyno 2011 with 5 lines quite a bit on my raceboard in marginal winds, and I don't think the 5th line helped much in trailing edge down relaunches. If it was light enough for that kite to backstall and wind up trailing edge down, there was pretty much no chance of relaunching. Also, I didn't think pulling on the fifth line really made much of a difference compared to pulling the two front lines when trailing edge down.

With leading edge down though, the fifth line definitely helped with relaunch. The race kites being high aspect ratio and flat don't roll up on their wingtip in light wind, so the fifth line really helped. Not sure the fifth line would make much of a difference for the freeride style lightwind kites that have a more swept back wingtip and curved leading edge to make it roll up on a wingtip by just pulling a rear line.

The fifth line method can easily be adapted to 4 line kites simply by pulling one of the inside lines while feathering the opposite outside line. I use this method in light winds all the time and it works very well to get the kite to roll over. There's a video but I was unable to locate it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

Last year I rode a bunch of large light-wind kites in marginal conditions - If I remember it was basically 9-11kts on the beach. Some mushy waves going out then just a small swell. They were pretty much all lightwind specific LEI and in those conditions they universally relaunched well. They were NOT race kites. OR Flite-2 17m, Core XR3 19m, Cabrinha Contra 17m, Slingshot Turbine 17m. All rolled up onto a wingtip and relaunched pretty reliably at those wind speeds. Turbine rolls over very easily but is a bit heavier so it was the stickiest as I remember.
I have a 13m Cab Velocity from last year and while I hear people saying it is finicky, I have never had much trouble getting it to roll up and relaunch (but I don't fly it below about 12-13 kts). Don't know if this helps ...

Foilers will have to respond but I think in 10kts a 17m will be too much on a foil. Was out a couple weeks ago on my sector with 17m Turbine and foiler was out on 12m and he was pretty powered up once he got going. Don't know the wind, but suspect it was 9-10kts. Very weak sea-breeze with perfectly flat water

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Laughingman wrote:
The fifth line method can easily be adapted to 4 line kites simply by pulling one of the inside lines while feathering the opposite outside line. I use this method in light winds all the time and it works very well to get the kite to roll over.

Yes, very good advice. Anyone who wants to relaunch a 4 line LEI kite in light wind (from the leading edge down position) should know this.

1. Pull on an outside (rear) line.
2. Reach up and grab and pull on the opposite inside (front line) which will roll the kite partially (but not fully) onto its back.
3. Work the two lines carefully and the kite will drift to the edge of the window and relaunch.

This technique is very similar to a five line kite relaunch procedure but without a fifth line.

:wink: CG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Foil kite all the way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I had the same issue with my 17m waroo. I bought an OR flite. It relaunches in about 6 mph. Very easy to reverse launch as well.

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next