All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Well, that's twin tips ruined for me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

First decent session today, noodling around and trying to control the beast. Life is much easier when you can get upwind some, and away from the shallows.

Wind got unmanageably strong, so I jumped on the twin tip. Man, that felt so wrong! Ignore the fact that my brain thought that every time the board pushed my front foot, I expected it to jump out of the water: what I used to think was a light, responsive, and agile board now felt like a dull and dead lump of wood :o

Weird feeling, eh...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Well, that's twin tips ruined for me
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I know the feeling. I only ride surf strapless and hydrofoils. Twin tips if you are not jumping or doing tricks feels completely wrong and inefficient. Haven't rode one since 2006 and probably wont ever again...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Let the conditions dictate and your going to be having fun. We finally have the variety of tools needed to make the most of the variety of conditions we see. Back when we only had twin tips, It's a wonder we didn't all quit! Windy slicks, shallows and good bump and jump, there is nothing like a twin tip! Spend a season on a foil and you will see when that good day comes. So nice to get that big air fix from time to time, and the power, the kite loops, inverts, getting laid out, grabs, rails, kickers, passes etc. In any kind of decent wind/waves..... surfboard please. In almost everything else that used to be sub optimal; light wind, choppy conditions, gusty inconsistent winds......you know, like 70% of the time... foils take lemons and make champagne.

Last edited by Starsky on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Under 15knots, foil only, unable to boost and loop, strapless paipo,...nuked out winds, white water everywhere, able to go massive is the only time the twin comes out now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm 
Medium Poster

Starsky...you are so right. Even as just an advanced beginner now on foilboards, 70% of the time I have more fun on a foilboard. As I improve over time, that percentage has been progressively increasing. For example, at first I wanted no waves on the foil. Later I preferred the foil for very small waves. But gradually the size of the wave for which I prefer the foil is increasing. And in the beginning, I would switch back to twintip or traditional surfboards..strapped or strapless or the BRM Paipo surfboard. Eventually, switching back was less often so fun unless the conditions were absolutely perfect for a given board. Now it is to the point such that the only board I can go back to and be pretty guaranteed a fun session is the Paipo. I think it is due to the low drag. The foil's low drag just spoils you in a way that can ruin the higher drag options. I even put my foil on a Paipo, so had to get an extra Paipo so I don't have to unbolt the foil....and they are the only two things I bring with me to the beach every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah I can see myself going that way too: foil for light wind, surfboard some of the time and a TT when it's worth actually boosting.

... but the TT felt SO bad! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It happens in all the sports I do.
If you ride once piece of equipment long enough without using the others when you get back on that thing it feels weird and strange.
Swap regularly and you can do it without the weird transition feel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just to play devil's advocate.

When learning a new type of board, especially foiling. Commit

Use it exclusively and you will shorten your learning curve. Once you actually have it pretty dialled in, you can swap all you like.

Going back to a foilboard from another board, or just a week or so of no wind will find you flailing for 15 min or so before it begins to click again.

The guys I see taking way too long to get decent on a surfboard are the guys that continually pull out the twin tip when they think its the better option.

Commitment pays off. Only after the pay off are your options open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Precisely - dont try to swap when learning, particularly not the same day !!!

Later you can change easily, just jump from one type to another.

But Kami has a point that hits many of us - the boards we loved earlier somewhat changes because of hydrofoiling :thumb:

From the day I got my first Hydrofoil, I have never ridden my raceboard since, not once :wink:

I have not ridden my TT at all in 2015, and only one short session in 14 :rollgrin:
Whereas earlier it was maybe 30 times per year (and before that in the good ol' days, much more)

It has influenced my way of riding waves too, at least the gear - as now I prefer boards with a less curved rockerline, so the waveboards goes upwind without needing an "overpowered" kite.
Definitely because of hydrofoiling it feels wrong riding with so much power in the waves, on bananas, just to be able to go (still slowly) upwind :cry:

I just went through the last 5 years from the logs, and the "evolution" has been like this:

Apparently the TT's (and Banana Surfboards) just dont make the cut anymore, but still ride waves almost the same amount.
A little less as I dont drive quarter of a day to find more wind/waves, but goes hydrofoiling locally instead - only difference.
So hydrofoiling simply added a huge number of extra sessions possible that are way more fun than a raceboard, and just as fun sometimes better than a waveboard in good waves - AWESOME :thumb:

So for me, TT's feel and look wrong now too, eventhough I can switch easy if I want to - but I dont... :naughty:

8) Peter

Changed order 20160201 06:44 local DK time

Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Dude. Who goes right to left with a time axis?

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next