All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2 vs 3 straps
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

After seeing how much cheaper LF is selling the foil only,Im planning to buy the Liquid Force foil only and attach it to a used board. Trying to decide between a freerace/sector54 with three strap setup or a nugget/space pickle with a 2 strap setup.

I know racers tend to like the three strap setup better. Is three strap not needed or not good for a lower aspect freeride foil like the LF?

My end goal is to race eventually when I can afford a used race foil or LF comes out with faster wings.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 2 vs 3 straps
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Either board will offer tons of stability on the water.

You'd have no problem learning to ride the thing strapless if you wanted to. To answer your question though, having the option for a third strap will be nice. Give yourself as many options as possible. That said you could always add a stick on later when you decide you need it.

Keep the board light, keep the mods to a minimum. Having just cut up a cabrinha retro fit board I build I can speak from experience.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:14 am 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
Trying to decide between a freerace/sector54 with three strap setup or a nugget/space pickle with a 2 strap setup..

None of these boards have a forgiving entry rocker at the front of the board.

If you dive your foil a bit to much you want a forgiving board to not pearl on you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

FredBGG wrote:
None of these boards have a forgiving entry rocker at the front of the board.

If you dive your foil a bit to much you want a forgiving board to not pearl on you.

Good point. The Nugget and SP are pretty flat forward. I have seen that a lot of the racers in San Francisco are using them though. Maybe the added volume and surface area up forward is enough to get the nose back up?

I've seen a few racers using the Sector 54 also. It does look like it has some rocker in the nose:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm 
Rare Poster

I prefer 2 straps for freestyle riding ( it is also much easier to learn)
Current using a 2009 race board around 5'6", good rocker,square tail ,& about 2 " thick .
for the foil drilled 1" hole through the top & to the bottom glass ,then removed more fam so the inside hole is around 1.5", filled it with a mix of epoxy/micro balloons & copped carbon fibre .
Then on the bottom put 2 layer of carbon fibre about 18" by 18", drilled the holes & it work great
However after about 2 month the board start to fracture on the bottom , under the front foot strape .
So ran 2 sheet of Carbon fibre from the back foot strap to about 4 " past the front on the bottom & all is good .
Have done same with an old surfboard last year in Baja & it worked OK , but the board needs more rocker .
on this I used Fiber Glass but only in the area of the foil mount , , to continue to used it this season , it will require 2 sheet of carbon re-enforcing as well ...on the bottom as the foil mount was distorting the bottom of the board .

[ 5 posts ]