Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitefoil skills progression question

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slyde
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitefoil skills progression question

Postby Slyde » Thu May 08, 2014 4:48 am

Hi, I'm increasingly intrigued by the foil concept. A little pricey to jump in so a few question if I may.
I can see the appeal of the challenge of learning to ride a foil and then master transitions and a few tricks etc, but once you have these dialed if there is no local racing scene does the foil become just another method of lawn mowing for when the wind is light, only to be shelved as soon as the breeze picks up in favour of you TT or surfboard? May be I am showing my ignorance of what foils have to offer? How many of you choose to ride your foil in high winds in preference to your other boards?
From what I have read most seem to learn on a lower aspect foil then move to a higher aspect foil.
Given the outlay and maybe limited opportunities to move a second hand foil what is the reality of just leaping in with a higher aspect foil to begin with? I know that I regret buying a beginner paddle board for example and would have been better sucking up the extra learning curve to go straight to a smaller board.
I have been kiting 10+ years the last 7 totally strapless skimboard and surfboard oriented.
Do you get a good workout foilboarding?
cheers

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Kitefoil skills progression question

Postby Hawaiis » Thu May 08, 2014 7:34 am

Hydrofoil is the ultimate low wind board, I prefer to do hydrofoil only when the wind is too light for my surfboard. Anyone can start with a high aspect foil, it just depends on each individual. some will learn faster than the other. It is quite a workout when you are learning, once you can relax , it takes very little effort to ride.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 am

Yes anyone can begin with a high performance foil. It is not much more difficult than an old slow one.

When I started ktieboarding years ago I thought I would just do it in light wind. Of course I found it works well in all kinds of conditions. Similarly I foil now in all conditions. When the wind and chop get strong the foil is the fastest and smoothest ride. The only time I don't foil is when I wave ride but a recent video by Alex Aguera shows that with skill even that is fun.

Whatever level you are at you can be learning something new foiling. Here is a progression of some of the moves that I am working on. I have not yet mastered the foiling tack and jibe and perhaps I should spend more time working on them than these other moves... but I'm having fun. :D

Learning progression in order of difficulty:

- foiling ride comfortably
- foiling downwind fast
- toeside riding
- surface jibe (while board is on the water)
- surface tack (while board is on the water)
- foiling small jump and landing
- foiling backroll with landing
- foiling frontroll with landing
- foiling 360 spin with kiteloop
- foiling bigger jumps
- foiling tack
- foiling jibe

:wink: CG

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 am

12 years kiteboarding. All styles. 7 years unstrap. Racing 4 years. Started foiling in Feb 2013. Once learned foiling I gave up with racing (too heavy) or wave (poor conditions in Poland :( ). I am trying to do it on the foil. Amazing feeling and still so much to discover.
The best feeling so far: crazy winds in Essaouira with kiteloop downwind riding with mad speeds and riding waves at Lanzarote.
The light wind riding is considered by the most as the main advantage of foilboarding. In my opinion is not full picture. This sensation is not new to me and is not anymore so attractive as for others. As I said - the best to me was foiling in strong winds.

Crusing, jumping, kitelooping, wave, racing on the foil - this is the best of part of my kiteboarding experience so far. Ultimate kiteboarding.
Living in Hawaii - I would be more focused on the waves than foiling. Unfortunately or fortunately I live at Baltic Sea. Cannot complain :D

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Thu May 08, 2014 9:35 am

I find foiling gybe pretty easy. Tacking is hard.

Return to “Hydrofoil”