When failure is the only option...

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

When failure is the only option...

Postby shawn13 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Thought Id post about my board that when horribly wrong in every way.

So while I wait for some parts to arrive to finish my custom free race build, i thought I would quickly pop out a new twintip. I am familiar with using foam core construction, and decided to give my hand at a wood core. Seemed easy enough, requiring less work than shaping foam. Kind of a 'press and go' solution.

I picked up a sheet of 1/4" marine plywood. First mistake.
20140919_172634.jpg
1. Notice the massive gap between the table and the center of the core. What you cant tell in the picture is that the springback of the core is very strong, not remotely close to a 1" foam core. Will come back to this issue later.

2. After prepping the table and cutting my glass and vacuum plys, i change ppe and get the resin out. The west system pumps weren't closed correctly and half my container of resin has crystallized making it unusable. (this can be reversed using a hot plate or bucket of hot water and time, but I wanted to get done quickly) I rush to the store to grab another resin.

3. I lay the glass on the table and begin to wet it out. I use two layer on the bottom, cut oversized to wrap the rails. I place the core on the table, press it down and begin to wrap the glass over the edge. Immediately the core springs back to flat and my edge wont hold. To counter the spring back I weight the core (this works with foam) and finish the wrap with difficultly. At this point Ive realized that I should have cut the fibres to shape, and not wrapped. After I would be able to trim the excess. Cannot do this now as the two top sheets have been cut smaller than the core for the overlap.

4. I decide to press on and deal with the edge clean up afterwards. Using cabosil maybe ill be able to cure the rail and the fibres together. I add the release film and peel ply, add the breather and place the vacuum film over the table.

5. An hour goes by and I am still trying to find the leak to the vacuum. ive double tacky-taped the edge, tried the valve, but no luck. Has to be a slow leak in the bag. Most likely a defect (Have had pitted film before). I tear off the bag, retape the edges and go to get a new piece of film. My roll ends and Im 6 inches too short. Now i have no other option but to wet lay. Its possible to weight the board to the rocker, but ive have a concave trim as well and cannot remove it once the sheet is in use. I flatten the rocker and leave it for 24 hours.
20140920_192320.jpg
I basically have a half fibred wood panel. The concave line raised the centre so the edges didn't hold.

Things to change for the next one:

- Use 1/8" ply and sandwich together with fiber between
- Cut glass to shape
- Check vacuum supplied, verify film for defects

After a very frustrating 5 hours, the next morning we got 25 kts of sunny warm wind and I wasnt so pissed. Hopefully this weekend Ill have a decent photo to post of a proper wood core board :thumb:

BRAINSOLD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2012
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: When failure is the only option...

Postby BRAINSOLD » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:14 pm

The import was: You tried! And learned with your mistakes! Just for that you deserve my Respect :thumb:
I´m also building my own board. But for my first one, I will just use Two pieces of plywood (4mm each), wood glue, vacuum pump, rocker table, vacuum bagging and breather (windows bug screen ), I want to keep it simple and cheap. The point of this board it´s to familiarize with vacuum, board rocker and concave! If she works I will pass to next level.
I guess it´s a good starting point for your Kite Board! So this is my advice for your first board: Simple and cheap!

Best regards,
Brainsold

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 pm

You could change to mechanical press. That way there is no chance of failed vacuum destroying your work.

For my last build i used a mechanical press combined with vacuum. The vacuum conforms the complex shapes of the top skin and removes excess resin. Once the resin has go green there is no more need for vacuum and the mechanic pressure holds the board in shape for the desired duration of cure.

Check it out here

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2385345

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 am

Commiseration man, hope you can reclaim it...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I made about 300 boards - my first load were total disasters - every time i f4334ed up tho - more experience - you dont forget wasting expensive materials a second time with same problem!

Tefff
Rare Poster

Postby Tefff » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:50 am

It's not a big sicret and pretty obvious just looking at the pictures.
and yes, same thing hapened to everybody that did it like you.

You have got ensure air flow from the board to the hose of vacum system.
When pvc bag gets vacuumed to your rocker board no more sucking and bending honey :nono:

you need a breather, best something home made (not from pro shop),
like multiple layers of felt

The vacum setup must be able to pres the board in thicknesses you described.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Tefff wrote:It's not a big sicret and pretty obvious just looking at the pictures.
and yes, same thing hapened to everybody that did it like you.

You have got ensure air flow from the board to the hose of vacum system.
When pvc bag gets vacuumed to your rocker board no more sucking and bending honey :nono:

you need a breather, best something home made (not from pro shop),
like multiple layers of felt

The vacum setup must be able to pres the board in thicknesses you described.
The photo shows my board after the film failed and I decide to just leave it flat. I use a vacuum setup with peel ply, release, breather and then the film. The venturi had enough vacuum to pull down the board, I just couldnt find the void in the film that wasnt allowing it to seal. Ive had this issue before with pitted film. My technique wasnt wrong, i just had faulty vacuum film.

Heres the same setup with a foam board with good film.
20130907_125002.jpg

Tefff
Rare Poster

Postby Tefff » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 am

Ok I see

Let me see if I understand U correct
U use ventury valve connected to compressor.
You pull out air from the bag and disconnect. The bag mentains the vacum for the time
that resin needs to cure (lets say 12h)?

If Yes, than I would consider building setup without ventury valve for the future projects.
(vacum + gauge + vacum tank,...)
If No, than sorry for my blah blah.

Return to “Gear Builders”