Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

board rescue while foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: board rescue while foiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 pm

Johhnn wrote:@johnm: But if you CRASH with the board like that? Ouch. Seems way too sketchy to me. Chance of crashing maybe low, but still...
Hmmm, I would say the risk of crashing is quite high doing this on a hydrofoil, and you are also a little meter up higher than on a TT :-?

8) PF

johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby johnm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:47 pm

gotta say it's a pretty easy technique on a twintip - both your hands are on the bar :thumb:

no idea about foilboards though - would love to try it sometime :D is it a really steep learning curve then?

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Has thanked: 0

Postby Johhnn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes, pretty steep. They say 5-10 hours until you can ride some distance on the foil. That's been true for me. It may be easier for those who have been riding surfboards in the past. I have only been on twin tips.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Disagree...

The learning curve is actually really flat, more like windsurfing :naughty:

Takes years to master things well, for most riders I think.

Can not see any advantages being used to directionals though - when learning.

Of course, the initial task of getting "up" and being able to foil for a longer distance and faster - this is a really steep learning curve yes agree :thumb:

But from being a beginner (able to ride for longer distances), to being good, it takes a lot of hours and time, just like windsurfing IMO, where it takes many years to get "good".

It is fine though, that the initial "getting up and ride" is okay fast, so you get totally hooked really fast, and feel like you can ride forever and a great feeling !

But, especially if used to directionals (as they turn in a completely different way) I think, the next learning curve takes a huge amount of time (at least for me, and many others).

The next stages is being able to turn, make turns on a wave, ride confident toeside, jibe, foiling jibe, tacks, 360s (and if strapped, jumping and spins/board offs etc)

This is the stage that takes time, unless you are extremely skilled and fast learning (the best are + they use a LOT of time on the water)

I love this gradually learning curve - because every single hour you put into it, will make you better - and you can slowly but clearly feel and see this over a long time - AWESOME :rollgrin:

At least my view on things from personal experience, and when I talk to fellow hydrofoilers.

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”