Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner video....looking for advice.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner video....looking for advice.

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 am

irwe wrote:My kitebuddie and I tried a MSL Lift ("cruising foil") on the weekend behind a jet ski.
With straps on I was able to get up but the foil would Kangaroo. Falls were bad for the ankles if falling backwards. Next time I tried strapless again I was able to get up but would fall forwards and one time landed almost face first on the foil luckily had time to put my arms in front of my face but ended up with nice cuts on my elbows.
I have 10 years kiting experience and ride on a surfboard. I also wakesurf and skateboard.
Is it easier to foil with a kite to give you added lift. How much more heal pressure do you need compared to kiting with a surfboard. Any tips appreciated. Great respect for all you foilers.
Try to ride with the foil completely submerged on your first session. it will come up slowly by itself. You will be able to ride it longer and longer each time.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beginner video....looking for advice.

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm

I've had 2 more days on the foil in perfect conditions finally. If I was riding a twin tip, I would have been on a 14m 2015 Rally, but since on the foil, I went 12m 2015 Rally and could have even went with a 10m 2015 Rally at times. 12m was perfect most of the time.

1st day I had really good progress and was able to ride about 100-150 yards a few times and a bunch of 30-40 yard rides and of course a bunch of kangaroo'ing. Man those suck when you get endo'd over the front. A ton of loud woo hoo's when foiling finally for any kind of distance.

I was also able to go upwind better, but not foiling upwind, but it finally gave me the time to actually really practice instead of having to walk upwind to get away from shallow waters.

Really fun day.

2nd day was yesterday and I had a HUGE breakthrough day. I was expecting small progress again, but it was huge. I'm now foiling more than not foiling and at times for very long distances. Started working on foiling upwind and it just clicked. Man, these things absolutely rip upwind when on the foil.

The guys and girls could hear me hooting and hollering and they were giving me thumbs up on the water. It's still work though...Don't get me wrong, but when things are in perfect balance, it's calm and smooth, but that's only about 5-10% of the time. The rest is still figuring things out, but now it's while on the foil instead of slogging and kangaroo'ing. Still having some kangaroo affect, but able to control better.

Peter...I was experimenting with the turning and it seems I can do it both ways. Heel/toe pressure to change directions and shimmy'ing to change the yaw angles. Kind of cool, but different on how it changes.

Really stoked guys and thanks a ton for all the advice.

Today and tomorrow look good for more practice after some teaching of others.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”