Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New kite for hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
(as I don't believe you can ever ride in less than 7)

8) PF


I agree with that
In less that 7kn (6.5kn or less) i have not witnessed yet anyone getting up on their foils at my beach
They lift off and get going with minimum of 7kn or 8mph no matter how big their kites are

At our beach i get planing / track a bit upwind at 8kn using a Nugget at 75kg w/19m2
At 8kn the foilboards will travel on the water at a much higher speed rate than me
At 7kn the foilboards are going and i am not
At a " true" 6kn in kite (very steady wind speed sea breeze) nobody is going anywhere
Different scenario if the wind lulls to 6kn at times and gust to 8kn..the foils keep going in lulls

I am not totally sold on them (yet :wink: ) since i seemingly will only gain 1kn of LW low end

Tone
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tone wrote:15m Chrono.

Done :)


Can you really ride pleasantly powered (not powered too much) in 16 knots with a 15m2 Chrono, around medium weight ?

Without having tried one, I know for sure I can not, not even close :o

8) PF


Yeah, for sure :)

16 knots and a little bit of trim is easy in 16 knots.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 7072
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:21 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
(as I don't believe you can ever ride in less than 7)

8) PF


I agree with that
In less that 7kn (6.5kn or less) i have not witnessed yet anyone getting up on their foils at my beach
They lift off and get going with minimum of 7kn or 8mph no matter how big their kites are

At our beach i get planing / track a bit upwind at 8kn using a Nugget at 75kg w/19m2
At 8kn the foilboards will travel on the water at a much higher speed rate than me
At 7kn the foilboards are going and i am not
At a " true" 6kn in kite (very steady wind speed sea breeze) nobody is going anywhere
Different scenario if the wind lulls to 6kn at times and gust to 8kn..the foils keep going in lulls

I am not totally sold on them (yet :wink: ) since i seemingly will only gain 1kn of LW low end


Ha haa, totally understandable.

BUT, when you have tried one, and get some experience so it works a bit for you, let me hear what you think then :naughty:

Cause, I have NEVER heard about anyone NOT liking it, when they succeed riding on a newer foil type (not the old super low AR ones)

It opens up a totally new way of BLASTING upwind no matter how light the wind is - and BLASTING downwind too, and doing carves and turns and having fun - besides the obvious challenge to learn something new VERY different from what you are used to.

So no, dont ever get a hydrofoil because of the slight low end advantage.

Get it because YOU WILL LOVE riding one Supa :thumb:

8) PF

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 7072
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Tone wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Tone wrote:15m Chrono.

Done :)


Can you really ride pleasantly powered (not powered too much) in 16 knots with a 15m2 Chrono, around medium weight ?

Without having tried one, I know for sure I can not, not even close :o

8) PF


Yeah, for sure :)

16 knots and a little bit of trim is easy in 16 knots.


Amazing if true ?

Still cant believe it, so you are actually saying that this kite has the double amount of depower ( a quantum leap more at least) compared to an 18m2 LEI kite, and still turns fine and fast (an 18m2 might have about the same pull as a 15m2 foil kite)

Dont really believe it I must say, but might be proven wrong as I have never tried one.

I just cant see how this is physically possible, honestly, does not make sense to me :roll:

8) PF

Tone
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:34 pm

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Peter, have a go :)

james
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby james » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 pm

I think things are a bit different on a foil as far as comfortable wind ranges

I was racing on a 13 Dyno, at times massively lit and needing my 10

A competitor was on a 15 chrono and a formula race board and could only just hang on

We both stayed on our respective kites , I know that there was no way I could have held onto the chrono

I weigh 95 kg

She didn't.

For me the 15 chrono worked in real minimum wind that I just wouldn't normally bother with, the 12 would be good from 12 kts I recon then a 9 m then a 7 m

That's on the 2014 Zeeko with the freeride wing

Randahl
Medium Poster
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Randahl » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Aummm wrote:I agree all the advices above are great about the high aspect ratio kite. :thumb:
So what it boils down however strutless are NOT suggested Any Kind, mainly because of the range
and on & off power attribute
caused by bastardized limited canopy support, :!:
Those kind of limitations are not desirable in foil riding since as soon as you start planing, already riding in apparent wind,
therefore becoming overpowered with limited range :alarm:


Aummm, the Chrono is a strutless kite. Is it bastardized too?

You honestly say the same exact thing in all of your posts, usually off topic and unsolicited. So why don't you be transparent about why you have such a specific agenda against strutless kites to promote on here?

Is it money? Because it seems like there is maybe $100-200k of strutless kites sold worldwide in a given year, and I think that's generous. But they certainly aren't threatening any business or stealing huge sums through patent infringement.

Did your old business partner steal your strutless idea for his own?

If it isn't money or vengeance, then all I can think of is that it's your pure passion to warn others away from bastardized canopies that left the house without their struts. The carnage these kites have left on the beach is astounding! The nerve of them to fly in the same air as legitimate supported canopy kites! It's a real menace. Luckily we have you to warn us away.

Being someone who has actually flown a strutless kite with a hydrofoil, may I offer that I DO suggest a strutless such as a Cloud or a Trip (two that I have flown) for light wind foiling. As far as inflatable leading edge kites go, they are among the lightest and fastest turning. You can find a few recommendations to this effect elsewhere on the forum... with Aummm's nonsense sprinkled throughout.

User avatar
Sir V
Medium Poster
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Palm Beach and general Gold Coast, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Palm Beach QLD
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Lift, from MHL Custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Sir V » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
(as I don't believe you can ever ride in less than 7)

8) PF


I agree with that
In less that 7kn (6.5kn or less) i have not witnessed yet anyone getting up on their foils at my beach
They lift off and get going with minimum of 7kn or 8mph no matter how big their kites are

At our beach i get planing / track a bit upwind at 8kn using a Nugget at 75kg w/19m2
At 8kn the foilboards will travel on the water at a much higher speed rate than me
At 7kn the foilboards are going and i am not
At a " true" 6kn in kite (very steady wind speed sea breeze) nobody is going anywhere
Different scenario if the wind lulls to 6kn at times and gust to 8kn..the foils keep going in lulls

I am not totally sold on them (yet :wink: ) since i seemingly will only gain 1kn of LW low end


Ha haa, totally understandable.

BUT, when you have tried one, and get some experience so it works a bit for you, let me hear what you think then :naughty:

Cause, I have NEVER heard about anyone NOT liking it, when they succeed riding on a newer foil type (not the old super low AR ones)

It opens up a totally new way of BLASTING upwind no matter how light the wind is - and BLASTING downwind too, and doing carves and turns and having fun - besides the obvious challenge to learn something new VERY different from what you are used to.

So no, dont ever get a hydrofoil because of the slight low end advantage.

Get it because YOU WILL LOVE riding one Supa :thumb:

8) PF


Totally with you on that :lol: :thumb:

User avatar
Aummm
Medium Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 am
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Location: Soul Riding

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Aummm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 am

Randahl wrote:Aummm, the Chrono is a strutless kite. Is it bastardized too?

You honestly say the same exact thing in all of your posts, usually off topic and unsolicited. So why don't you be transparent about why you have such a specific agenda against strutless kites to promote on here?

Is it money? Because it seems like there is maybe $100-200k of strutless kites sold worldwide in a given year, and I think that's generous. But they certainly aren't threatening any business or stealing huge sums through patent infringement.

Did your old business partner steal your strutless idea for his own?

If it isn't money or vengeance, then all I can think of is that it's your pure passion to warn others away from bastardized canopies that left the house without their struts. The carnage these kites have left on the beach is astounding! The nerve of them to fly in the same air as legitimate supported canopy kites! It's a real menace. Luckily we have you to warn us away.

Being someone who has actually flown a strutless kite with a hydrofoil, may I offer that I DO suggest a strutless such as a Cloud or a Trip (two that I have flown) for light wind foiling. As far as inflatable leading edge kites go, they are among the lightest and fastest turning. You can find a few recommendations to this effect elsewhere on the forum... with Aummm's nonsense sprinkled throughout.
I disagree with those who are using nonsense "weight" of strutless design and creating a false philosophy to justify their idea here on KF.
Especially there are only couple of maniacs who are trying to change the law of physics.
Their theory & reality of perception borrowed from other fields not related at all to kiting.
Only a pure passion to warn others because the strutless Lover's threads are hijacked with fantasies & violating the technological rules.
Bruno did the R&D and found the necessity of struts for a reason when patented the L.E.I. kites..
My 2 cents worth, feel free to disagree :wink:

Randahl
Medium Poster
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New kite for hydrofoiling

Postby Randahl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 am

Aummm wrote:
Randahl wrote:Aummm, the Chrono is a strutless kite. Is it bastardized too?

You honestly say the same exact thing in all of your posts, usually off topic and unsolicited. So why don't you be transparent about why you have such a specific agenda against strutless kites to promote on here?

Is it money? Because it seems like there is maybe $100-200k of strutless kites sold worldwide in a given year, and I think that's generous. But they certainly aren't threatening any business or stealing huge sums through patent infringement.

Did your old business partner steal your strutless idea for his own?

If it isn't money or vengeance, then all I can think of is that it's your pure passion to warn others away from bastardized canopies that left the house without their struts. The carnage these kites have left on the beach is astounding! The nerve of them to fly in the same air as legitimate supported canopy kites! It's a real menace. Luckily we have you to warn us away.

Being someone who has actually flown a strutless kite with a hydrofoil, may I offer that I DO suggest a strutless such as a Cloud or a Trip (two that I have flown) for light wind foiling. As far as inflatable leading edge kites go, they are among the lightest and fastest turning. You can find a few recommendations to this effect elsewhere on the forum... with Aummm's nonsense sprinkled throughout.
I disagree with those who are using nonsense "weight" of strutless design and creating a false philosophy to justify their idea here on KF.
Especially there are only couple of maniacs who are trying to change the law of physics.
Their theory & reality of perception borrowed from other fields not related at all to kiting.
Only a pure passion to warn others because the strutless Lover's threads are hijacked with fantasies & violating the technological rules.
Bruno did the R&D and found the necessity of struts for a reason when patented the L.E.I. kites..
My 2 cents worth, feel free to disagree :wink:


So posted videos and testimonials from actual users (maniacs) is nothing more than a delusional philosophy?
It seems like you will deny to the grave that there are many who happily own and fly these kites as well as their experiences on how the kites work.
Your 2 cents worth is exactly that. With each post you further undermine your credibility on this forum and choke it with useless noise.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests