Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Spotz V2 2014

Postby Kite Rider » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Back on the subject....
davesails7 wrote:
Kite Rider wrote:
Slyde wrote:So in this scenario raising the AOA of a stabiliser should cause the tail of the foil to go up and thus the front wing will go down
Mmmmm, not quite. The stabilizer (rear or tail wing) of the Spotz has a profile that generates downward lift, that is, the opposite of the front wing, which generates upward lift. If you increase the AoA of the stabilizer, the tail of the foil will want to go down, hence the front tip of the board will want to go up.
Maybe we are thinking the same things, and have our frame of reference mixed up, but I think you're off on this. Let's call positive/increasing angle of attack angles where the leading edge is higher than the trailing edge.

Even if the rear wing is profile shaped to generate downward lift, when you increase the angle of attack enough (lift the leading edge higher than the trailing edge), it's going to create upward lift.

Like a plane flying upside down: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... pside-down
I may be off on this but in an email exchange I had with a kiteboarding hydrofoil designer last summer, we touched upon the subject of the operation of the foil relative to the front wing, the stabilizer and their respective lift. Here is my English translation of it:
two opposite profiles allow a stable foil: if both wings had an upward hydrodynamic lift, their forces would added irregularly and the foil would tend to "make waves" in going forward, the lift from one of the wing would take over the other alternately, without balance. The downward lift of the stabilizer counterbalances the upward lift of the front wing, creating the pitch-up of the foil (not sure if "pitch-up" is the proper translation for "couple cabreur").
So this is where I am coming from.

Normand

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 am

After waiting for one month, I finally got my Spotz foil pitch gauge in pieces.
First class mail envelope is not for shipping foil gauges.
Attachments
image.jpg

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:46 am

Haha, seriously. I've shipped a couple of those without issues. How freakin bad did that go. No loss at least. $1 guage.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Hawaiis wrote:After waiting for one month, I finally got my Spotz foil pitch gauge in pieces.
First class mail envelope is not for shipping foil gauges.
What is that ?

A foil pitch gauge ?

Is it the thin metal strip that has to be used for something, and how ?
Or just the ruler having a side break off ?
If so, where is the pitch gauge ???

Otherwise assuming the ruler is the cheapest one could find easily for some "fill and protection" for the gauge strip.

Or maybe not just a ruler, but some specific markings ?
(although it looks like a standard one foot ruler on the photo, or is there some special markings on the back ?)

Really confused now :roll:

8) PF

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Why do they not just tell the customer to buy one of these?
image.jpg

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:00 pm

If you look closely, there is a dowel at the end of the ruler. The measurements are what we need. So it is important to use the exact same ruler. The fuselage is not square and straight, it is tapered.
Attachments
image.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks, now it makes sense, it was not a "straight" ruler :thumb:

Not even before handled in the mail :roll:

8) PF

antonell0
Rare Poster
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Hydrofoil, wave boards

Postby antonell0 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Hawaiis, I don't believe that, with your skills, you cannot build a better ruler. What is important is the measure values and sharing the knowledge about the effect of changing the pitch.
Stefaans, can you share your findings?
I tried several angles with my spotz v2, now I use the less angled configuration in all condition. Will try again when I get the new race front wing.
A.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:01 am

antonell0 wrote:Hawaiis, I don't believe that, with your skills, you cannot build a better ruler. What is important is the measure values and sharing the knowledge about the effect of changing the pitch.
Stefaans, can you share your findings?
I tried several angles with my spotz v2, now I use the less angled configuration in all condition. Will try again when I get the new race front wing.
A.
We need a standardized center at 40mm on the ruler.
Or the Abbots will be talking to Costellos

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 am

Don't have much to add. I send out these to help guys not at my local spot. each should really dial in their own setup since boards and foot placement also plays a major role. Without this when you configure your new spotz it comes out to about 43mm(by default) which is way too much help from the rear wing. what happens with this configuration is uncontrollable drops back in the water at lower speeds and of course top end lift.
I dialed mine in to 40mm with the small wing, took me a couple hours with the "allen" key in my harness back to the beach every 15 minutes but finally found my sweet spot.

I'm on the bigger wing now and figured i'll detune it even more with thinking the bigger wing has more lift so changed it to 39mm. works fine but too much on the back foot. works great actually but have found that going back to 40 gives me a bit more speed where at 39 i could still point super high but due to all the weight on the rear foot had a loss in speed. very marginal of course. adding some more on the front foot gave a bit more push which equated in a bit more speed with no angle loss and can even go a bit higher at slow speeds.
I know none of these numbers help without this tool. by default most foils i dialed in the range of motion on the rear wing is about 40mm to 45mm where mine can go to 39mm. I guess my suggestion would be to first timers on the Spotz 2 is too angle the wing with the very least amount of angle and detune from there if you find yourself too much on the rear foot.

If you do ride in very light winds it will help to give it just a tad more angle. this help getting out of the water easier and since you really wont be going much faster than 20 to 25knots you wont have too much to deal with.

Return to “Hydrofoil”