Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Padre
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Manta foiling in South Padre

Postby Mike Warn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 pm

I just received my new Manta from THEKITEFOIL.com the board and foil seams very well built so I’m happy with my purchase. Renaud cut the mask down at no extra charge to 30” so it can be used on the bayside at South Padre Island and its working. I also did buy a standard length mast for the Oceanside this foil board great because everything is interchangeable
It was shipped by DHL and only took about 1 weeks after shipping to arrive and no extra charges like duty
This is my first 4 days on foil board and holly shit foiling is hard to learn but I think every day I’m making progress but it’s like starting all over again. I’m still doing a lot of kangarooing I think foilers call it. I can ride a little bit with my left foot forward before falling in but my right foot forward it’s much harder to ride.
I think the board is making the learning curve easier sense it’s very buoyant and wide.
Renaud has also been very helpful with any questions about the board or how to start foiling.
If anybody in South Padre and would like to try I’m always at the N flats driving a blue 4runner

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Re: Manta foiling in South Padre

Postby Denisesewa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:42 pm

We will be down there April first, I'll be bringing 2 DIY foils ( one short and one long), It would be really nice to compare notes. we normally hang out at the "inlet" just north of the north flats when there is no surf, white chevy astrovan.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Mike Warn wrote: If anybody in South Padre and would like to try I’m always at the N flats driving a blue 4runner
That`s what I`m talkin `bout!
May I mention,
When you fly your own KBHF you take care to not run aground.
When you test fly someones else`s KBHF, you simply NEVER even risk it, deep water ONLY!
Good on ya MW!
R H

Mike Warn
Rare Poster

Postby Mike Warn » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:12 am

The Manta with the aluminum mast and fiber glass wings is built very sturdy so I’m not really worried about it.
Hay Denisesewa that inlet is very swallow for a very long ways out I think the north flats drops off faster also the further north you go the bay gets swallower.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster

Postby Denisesewa » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:42 pm

It seems to me the area just south of the bridge on the Port Isabel side would be good for foiling, we used to be able to park and walk out near the old bridge but I think they shut that off, still, there should be a launch just to the north of the channel inlet, I seem to recall a small park visible from the bridge in that area although it may be private, anyway when the wind is bad at the coast but good at
Holly beach it will also be good south of the bridge, certainly not a begginer area but maybe worth checking out?

Mike Warn
Rare Poster

Postby Mike Warn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 am

People also kite dolphin cove the launch is sketchy because of a light tower. But a better place besides Holly beach is called the ditch in the shipping channel flat water and usually blowing 5 to 10 mph more than South Padre. One thing about the bitch there’s always dolphins and I hear about people hitting fish on foils and one of my friends hit a shark on the ocean side in Padre so I’m just wandering if it could be a problem I would hate to hit a dolphin.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster

Postby Denisesewa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:18 pm

I've kited the Ditch, fun kiting but the water quality was really bad ( polluted with diesel fuel and trash, broken glass on shore etc), not that many years ago Dolphin cove actually had a beach, after hurricane dolly and dredging the channel the beach slowly dissapeared.
The flats is the place to learn ( with a short mast) and the jetty for days when there is no real waves but enough wind, at least thats my plan.

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:11 pm

MW- congrats on your new foil. SPI seems like a great place to learn foiling. Hopefully the sea grass isn't too bad yet. Can you give me an opinion on the build quality of the TKF board? Sounds like glass with carbon reinforced areas? Do you know how many layers, weight? S glass I'm sure? I would assume that at that price it does not have a high density sandwich construction? Does it dent easily? Any sign of finbox weakness? Really interested in this product but just want to get a little more info. Thanks!!

Mike Warn
Rare Poster

Postby Mike Warn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:58 pm

The foil and board are built very sturdy I believe the wings are solid fiberglass It seems to me this board is very well designed.

I do have a few very small chips in the front wing from hitting the bottom and I’m sure it will sand out easily.

Mike Warn
Rare Poster

Postby Mike Warn » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 am

Hay Denisesewa
Are you in Padre? I’ve been trying to foil at the N flats the water level is finally up I think I’m making progress but it’s not easy.
Maybe give me a call 720-635-774 zero
Mike

Return to “Hydrofoil”