Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

my learning progession on a hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 878
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm
Gear: what works for the day

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Learned to ride by going progressively 6 days in a row then got bored...the end

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5566
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 pm

PullStrings wrote:Learned to ride by going progressively 6 days in a row then got bored...the end
So your saying you didn't spend enough time learning and gave up before you came proficient.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5566
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby plummet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Time for an update.

4.5 months in. I'm now at a stage where I can call myself competent at the foiling basics. I can foil anywhere in the wind window from hard upwind to direct down wind. I can also fly the kite anywhere in the window too at the same time. I can ride conditions up to 30 knots (need a smaller kite for higher) and have been out in a range of conditions up to 3m swell. I can ride wind swells and have the process sorted to tackle bigger waves (now I need bigger waves to try the process out more). I can jump both directions but need to sort smoother landings. My surface jybes are all but sorted. Now i'm moving into foiling jybes, tacks and 360's

Essentially I can go out on any given day that's not too extreme, ride around and have fun without profuse or random crashes unless i'm practicing a new skill.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8081
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:52 pm

plummet wrote:
PullStrings wrote:Learned to ride by going progressively 6 days in a row then got bored...the end
So your saying you didn't spend enough time learning and gave up before you came proficient.
Ha haa, spot on Plummet :thumb:

It is just like if you as an engineer make some research and tests where you expect, well WANT to find one specific result, then you have utterly failed your mission beforehand and results might be worthless, just like in this case where it was bound NOT to happen, so just to be able to say "I have tried it" :x :roll: :rollgrin:

One has to keep an open mind for new things to happen :D

8) PF

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3155
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby Bille » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:36 pm

plummet wrote:Time for an update.

4.5 months in. I'm now at a stage where I can call myself competent at the foiling basics. I can foil anywhere in the wind window from hard upwind to direct down wind. I can also fly the kite anywhere in the window too at the same time. I can ride conditions up to 30 knots (need a smaller kite for higher) and have been out in a range of conditions up to 3m swell. I can ride wind swells and have the process sorted to tackle bigger waves (now I need bigger waves to try the process out more). I can jump both directions but need to sort smoother landings. My surface jybes are all but sorted. Now i'm moving into foiling jybes, tacks and 360's

Essentially I can go out on any given day that's not too extreme, ride around and have fun without profuse or random crashes unless i'm practicing a new skill.
(And) -- he BUILT his own hydrofoil !! :thumb:

Bille

User avatar
meteo
Medium Poster
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:54 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Bozo Beach, pointe du lac, Québec, canada
Sunset Beach, tarpon springs, Florida
Style: old school, Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Trois-rivieres, quebec, canada
Contact:

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby meteo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Here’s an update on my progression. My last entry was after 293 hours of foiling… Now, as of the 22 October 2017 I am up to 423 hours of foiling since April 11 2015.

I went through a long drought of progression; almost regression… tried different foils, and different kites, played around and then, yesterday way a major improvement day.

I decided to go foiling at Lassing park here in St Petersburg and the tide was low so not much water, and I did not feel like carrying my foil all the way to the deep water… So I put my short mast on, about 60cm and was barely able to start… so this meant that I had NO CHOICE but to practice my aerial foot changes on my jibes. At first I was getting 50% of my aerial jibes, and then all of a sudden by “mistake” I used the kite to hold my up as I was changing my feet… I use to just change my feet very fast and hope that I could kept my equilibrium after the feet change, but doing it while using the kite the hold my up was much more easier… all of a sudden foot changes became much more stable and easier… I had more than 80% success… When I told that to my wife… she said right away… told you so a long time ago… and she added; it's the same thing with your duck tacks… your not using the lift of the kite when you do them!!! Oh well!!! she’s hard to impress…

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5566
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby plummet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:17 pm

meteo wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm
Here’s an update on my progression. My last entry was after 293 hours of foiling… Now, as of the 22 October 2017 I am up to 423 hours of foiling since April 11 2015.

I went through a long drought of progression; almost regression… tried different foils, and different kites, played around and then, yesterday way a major improvement day.

I decided to go foiling at Lassing park here in St Petersburg and the tide was low so not much water, and I did not feel like carrying my foil all the way to the deep water… So I put my short mast on, about 60cm and was barely able to start… so this meant that I had NO CHOICE but to practice my aerial foot changes on my jibes. At first I was getting 50% of my aerial jibes, and then all of a sudden by “mistake” I used the kite to hold my up as I was changing my feet… I use to just change my feet very fast and hope that I could kept my equilibrium after the feet change, but doing it while using the kite the hold my up was much more easier… all of a sudden foot changes became much more stable and easier… I had more than 80% success… When I told that to my wife… she said right away… told you so a long time ago… and she added; it's the same thing with your duck tacks… your not using the lift of the kite when you do them!!! Oh well!!! she’s hard to impress…
Ha! I had something very similar. Since March the board I was using delaminated to I made a pocket board. No foiling for 3 months. The pocket board has no floatation and very little glide when surface ridinmg. Combine that with a job change and winter I got very little foiling in. So regressed back to struggling with surface jybes. Basically id have an occasional session over wind and spend than entire session relearning to get back to the same point I finished at the last session.

Enter into spring an i'm getting a bit more water time and starting to slowly progress again. I'm more comfortable at speed and waves. Jybes still suck but i'm slowly improving. If I had a larger board I recon id be sorted on the jybing. I have about 2 seconds of surface riding on this board before it sinks in.

The other thing that is hampering me is my water conditions. Swell combined with wind chop make for challenging foot switches as theres hardly ever a patch of smooth water. When ever I find myself on flatter water (hardly ever) I marvel at how much easier it is.

Side note. The pocket board is stiff and responsive when on the foil. Its great. Just sucks for jybes.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am

In foil jibes i feel that speed is actually more important then using your kite to "hang in the air", in tacks yes, it makes everything much easier when you get the correct timming with the kite.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8081
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am
In foil jibes i feel that speed is actually more important then using your kite to "hang in the air", in tacks yes, it makes everything much easier when you get the correct timming with the kite.

This is something many says - but I have the opposite experience, keeping the speed moderate and the timing spot on works much better for me - speed is NOT good as you will fail much easier now for many reasons.

I am talking about "surf" jibes, meaning carving around first, and then switching your feet just before or when you are headed up on the new tack, just like on a waveboard or windsurfer :rollgrin:

Maybe we are not talking about the same kind of jibe, and if doing a racejibe switching feet first going into the carve, speed is good ?

8) PF

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby Pedro Marcos » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am
In foil jibes i feel that speed is actually more important then using your kite to "hang in the air", in tacks yes, it makes everything much easier when you get the correct timming with the kite.

This is something many says - but I have the opposite experience, keeping the speed moderate and the timing spot on works much better for me - speed is NOT good as you will fail much easier now for many reasons.

I am talking about "surf" jibes, meaning carving around first, and then switching your feet just before or when you are headed up on the new tack, just like on a waveboard or windsurfer :rollgrin:

Maybe we are not talking about the same kind of jibe, and if doing a racejibe switching feet first going into the carve, speed is good ?

8) PF
Funny, i never do that jibes, i actually cant do them, because i barely pratice those. I was talking about going heelside, changing feet going in the same direction and then changing direction when you find appropriate.

I feel that speed gives me more stability, abit like going on the bicycle or motorcycle.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MMac22 and 11 guests

cron