Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: best way to attach a baseplate hydrofoil on regular surf

Postby davesails7 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Mitaka wrote:There must be some theory behind this widely used combination in windsurfing. Any ideas why?
My understanding is that the brass is supposed to strip out if you hit a submerged object or run aground. This makes sense to save your windsurf board that costs about 10x as much as your fin. There's a chance you can find the fin, but if not, you can just buy a new one for a lot less then destroying your board.

With a kite foil though, the foil is typically 2x the price of the board. I'd rather damage my board than risk my foil being lost at sea

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Fri May 15, 2015 11:17 pm

davesails7 wrote:My understanding is that the brass is supposed to strip out if you hit a submerged object or run aground.
I believe that your theory is definitely used in many other cases but I find it very unlikely the brass windsurf fin insert to strip/break. The fin will break or the fin box will be damaged (ripped off) in case of collision.

To lose a foil because all four 2 cm long brass inserts stripped/breaked seems to me totally impossible!

The windsurf fins remain installed often for very long time and could "weld itself together" (as described by zfennell) which will make their removal very difficult. I think that this is the primary reason for the brass inserts - easier removal of the fins after extensive usage.

Back on topic, I think that we should choose the inserts depending on how often we will install/remove the plate.
1. Stanless steel inserts if you plan to remove the plate after every session for transportation and storage.
2. Brass inserts, if you will remove rarely the plate.

I ordered a KETOS foil and I plan to remove the mast after every session by unscrewing only the mast centre screw (through the board) and the plate will remain attached to the board for long periods of time.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:56 am

Mitaka wrote:To lose a foil because all four 2 cm long brass inserts stripped/breaked seems to me totally impossible!
I should have specified, I was talking about the powerbox you showed in your picture which only has a single brass barrel nut which is <1 cm worth of threads.

4x 2 cm should be plenty!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39 pm

This thread got the ball rolling for me, so I thought I'd share how I went about it. Pretty decent approach for any regular surfboard construction with a plate attachment, although I would think that foil conversion is best suited to rather tough built boards that are some kind of sandwich construction like mine. This is basically done on an outdoor deck space with no tools beyond an electric sander, a drill, and a digital scale for measuring epoxy. Dust masks and gloves of course, but I have no shop, or garage and did it in spare moments when the kids were out. Took just over a week, but could probably be done in 3-4 days.

Basically its a glass patch on the deck (6 layers of 6 oz), a patch of glass on the bottom (9 layers of 6oz) with 1" solid rolled 6 oz glass inserts bonded to both deck and bottom patch. This is a bolt through method with a washer on the deck as to eliminate traction forces within the inserts and fully capitalize on the strength of the " I beam " structure.
IMG_2806.jpg
board with deck sanded
IMG_2801.jpg
the bottom sanded... I ended up going a little further up the board than that, but you get the idea.
IMG_2805.jpg
The inserts were made in a mould made from 1" PVC pipe with end caps. The bolt hole is a small gauge PVC pipe that I wrapped in about 10-12 layers of wet glass before placing in the mould.
IMG_2810.jpg
Glass then sand
IMG_2811.jpg
Epoxy with light filler for fairing
IMG_2813.jpg
sand
IMG_2814.jpg
and paint
IMG_2815.jpg
I made sure to use plenty of mechanical bonding filler in the mix to insert the inserts that were mounted on a jig to ensure alignment. Also important to do the inserts when the deck has gelled but not fully cured to get a good chemical bond. All glass is layered in progressively bigger patches in order to properly taper the strength and flex. All tolled, it added about a pound to an already heavy board. It now weighs 9.4 lbs or 4.25 kg.

Turned out well, and killed some time while waiting for the foil!

Much thanks to Bigdog and Tkettlepoint for advice and guidance.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:29 am

Awesome stuff Starsky! very impressive work

Terrie- that is one sexy foil!!

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Starsky glad to help out. Hope to foil with you on the water

Darippah thanks soon to be at a beach near you.

Terrie

Return to “Hydrofoil”