Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses Silente front wings - a guide

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 am

danbrazil wrote: I had the same experience as you, going up and down like crazy on the first runs. I tried moving both front and rear straps do the most forward position on the board (arriba arriba full carbon 142cm), but somehow I still felt like my position was way off, I had to really push down on the front foot to keep it steady.
Hi Dan, nice to hear that I am not alone. I think you posted a vid and it looked like you were doing great on the 450. I also have the Arriba Arriba board, though I'm not sure if it's the same one as yours, as mine is only 130cm. I'm sure the strap positions are the same, though. For me this doesn't matter too much as I am riding strapless. So I'll just put my feet where they need to go (once I figure out where that needs to be). If you find the answers, I'd be keen to hear it, and I'll do the same. I'm sure it's just about getting the hang of a foil with a completely different feel. Hopefully I'll get out again over the weekend.

danbrazil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Praia do futuro, Cumbuco, Prainha, Porto das Dunas - Ceará, Brazil.
Style: freestyle (oldschool TT) / Hydrofoiling
Gear: Kites: bandit VIII 11m, Bandit VII 9m
Boards: f-one TRAX, raceboard prototype, Arriba Arriba Hydrofoil 130cm carbon
Foil: Moses Silent Carbon, Wings: FR450 and HP560
Been thanked: 0

Postby danbrazil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 pm

stevez wrote: Hi Dan, nice to hear that I am not alone. I think you posted a vid and it looked like you were doing great on the 450. I also have the Arriba Arriba board, though I'm not sure if it's the same one as yours, as mine is only 130cm. I'm sure the strap positions are the same, though. For me this doesn't matter too much as I am riding strapless. So I'll just put my feet where they need to go (once I figure out where that needs to be). If you find the answers, I'd be keen to hear it, and I'll do the same. I'm sure it's just about getting the hang of a foil with a completely different feel. Hopefully I'll get out again over the weekend.
Hey Steve,

My mistake, my board is 130cm, just like yours. I went for another session today on the hp560. Second time was way better, I hope the third time is a charm.

Besides the need of extra front foot pressure, compared to the FR425/450, this high AR wing needs more speed to be stable. On the Free Ride wings we get lift at very low speeds, and it is a little bit different on the race wing.

Today I´ve reached 41 km/h (22 knots) with the hp 560, and it is scary, because it is still hard to keep the foil from jumping out of the water. Also, I was going downwind towards the beach, with high tide and waves... I think I can go faster once I get more confortable riding fast. Be prepared for a new set of bruses.... I had forgot how painful the learning stage was... I was going too fast when I crashed, but despite I've jumped away from the board, it still hit me on the back, and it is really sore now... But still, better then hitting my head. I think I will now consider using an impact vest and a helmet.

Let us now how you progress on the HP560. By the way, where are your riding spots?

Cheers.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 am

Glad to hear you got on better this time round! Hopefully I'll have some joy next time as well.
I'm in Auckland, New Zealand. My riding spots are a combination of flat water and small waves.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 pm

danbrazil wrote:
stevez wrote: Hi Dan, nice to hear that I am not alone. I think you posted a vid and it looked like you were doing great on the 450. I also have the Arriba Arriba board, though I'm not sure if it's the same one as yours, as mine is only 130cm. I'm sure the strap positions are the same, though. For me this doesn't matter too much as I am riding strapless. So I'll just put my feet where they need to go (once I figure out where that needs to be). If you find the answers, I'd be keen to hear it, and I'll do the same. I'm sure it's just about getting the hang of a foil with a completely different feel. Hopefully I'll get out again over the weekend.
Hey Steve,

My mistake, my board is 130cm, just like yours. I went for another session today on the hp560. Second time was way better, I hope the third time is a charm.

Besides the need of extra front foot pressure, compared to the FR425/450, this high AR wing needs more speed to be stable. On the Free Ride wings we get lift at very low speeds, and it is a little bit different on the race wing.

Today I´ve reached 41 km/h (22 knots) with the hp 560, and it is scary, because it is still hard to keep the foil from jumping out of the water. Also, I was going downwind towards the beach, with high tide and waves... I think I can go faster once I get more confortable riding fast. Be prepared for a new set of bruses.... I had forgot how painful the learning stage was... I was going too fast when I crashed, but despite I've jumped away from the board, it still hit me on the back, and it is really sore now... But still, better then hitting my head. I think I will now consider using an impact vest and a helmet.

Let us now how you progress on the HP560. By the way, where are your riding spots?

Cheers.
Hi danbrazil¡
I've been told by a Arriba Arriba representative that AA board don't mix well with hp560 wing, saying just what is happening to you, perhaps is due that front strap position. He told me it is not stable and need lots of front leg pressure, its a pity anyway, have the same combo AA+425, I suppose that Moses t20 or t40 work well I dont know, I'm sure Moses are going to loose lots of potencial buyers of theirs new wings.

danbrazil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Praia do futuro, Cumbuco, Prainha, Porto das Dunas - Ceará, Brazil.

Postby danbrazil » Tue May 10, 2016 9:32 pm

flaps1111 wrote: Hi danbrazil¡
I've been told by a Arriba Arriba representative that AA board don't mix well with hp560 wing, saying just what is happening to you, perhaps is due that front strap position. He told me it is not stable and need lots of front leg pressure, its a pity anyway, have the same combo AA+425, I suppose that Moses t20 or t40 work well I dont know, I'm sure Moses are going to loose lots of potencial buyers of theirs new wings.

Hi flaps,

Thanks for the info, but as it turned out, all I needed was a little bit of practice! On the third session I was already jumping, doing backrolls and riding toeside. It just needs more front foot pressure than the FR 425/450, and as I adapt to the new foil wing, I feel more and more stable on each session.

I got some footage of these last couple of sessions, and as soon as I finish editing a video, I'll post it here. On video it seems that I'm not very stable, but it is only because I had to worry about holding the camera to capture the desired angles, and it was also my third and fourth sessions on the HP 560.

Overall, I'm pleased with the setup AA + Moses, specially because it allowed me to upgrade from a learning foil to a more advanced one.

I lent my old wings (FR450) to a friend that bought a new Moses silent mast. He is adapting an old (about 14 years old) directional board from UNDERGROUND (NZ), we'll test it out this thursday. I'll keep you posted on this project.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue May 10, 2016 11:43 pm

The FR wings need a lot more back foot pressure (or different stance) than the new HP wings!
The new HP560 and HP580 are very good wings, when switching from one of the old FR wings it needs quite a bit of riding style adjustments, but it is totally worth it and there will be no way back really.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:07 am

danbrazil wrote:
flaps1111 wrote: Hi danbrazil¡

Hi flaps,

Thanks for the info, but as it turned out, all I needed was a little bit of practice! On the third session I was already jumping, doing backrolls and riding toeside. It just needs more front foot pressure than the FR 425/450, and as I adapt to the new foil wing, I feel more and more stable on each session.

I got some footage of these last couple of sessions, and as soon as I finish editing a video, I'll post it here. On video it seems that I'm not very stable, but it is only because I had to worry about holding the camera to capture the desired angles, and it was also my third and fourth sessions on the HP 560.

Overall, I'm pleased with the setup AA + Moses, specially because it allowed me to upgrade from a learning foil to a more advanced one.

I lent my old wings (FR450) to a friend that bought a new Moses silent mast. He is adapting an old (about 14 years old) directional board from UNDERGROUND (NZ), we'll test it out this thursday. I'll keep you posted on this project.
Ok then, that's good news danbrazil but that means Peter if I tray the Vorace with the same wing it will feel the same as Silent with hp650?

danbrazil
Rare Poster

Postby danbrazil » Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 am

Frank Rosin wrote:The FR wings need a lot more back foot pressure (or different stance) than the new HP wings!
The new HP560 and HP580 are very good wings, when switching from one of the old FR wings it needs quite a bit of riding style adjustments, but it is totally worth it and there will be no way back really.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil
That's correct, Frank! Today I tried going back on the FR450, and I almost couldn't lift the foil up, because my brain was already telling my legs to put lots of front foot pressure... But as you said, after a little riding adjustment, it is all good again.

jamescarlyle
Rare Poster

Postby jamescarlyle » Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 am

Hi

I'd be really interested in trying the FR450 - either by renting :) or buying second-hand. I'm not really interested in buying new since I'm just scratching an itch to see how different it feels to the FR425.

If you have an FR450 that you've outgrown, any condition, please ping me at jwgcarlyle@gmail.com. Based in UK but would obviously pay for postage.

James

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed May 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi James,

what you really should try, if you have not done yet, is the HP560 wing!!
You'll feel like having a completely new foil.

Cheers,
Frank
www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil

Return to “Hydrofoil”