Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best way not to injure yourself : go strapless !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

PointOmega
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Surboard, hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best way not to injure yourself : go strapless !

Postby PointOmega » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:08 am

Well ... I severed my left ACL using straps after rotating the board with one foot in a strap after a bailed jibe ... incredibly painful. Never used straps again!

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 am

You can hurt yourself kiteboarding many ways. Actually hydrofoiling is not much different from regular kiteboarding in terms of hazards.

Most of us use straps hydrofoiling because it is much easier to learn and to ride. But strapless is a lot of fun and some tricks are great strapless. Do whatever you want but don't be afraid. Strapless certainly will result in more crashes but is not really hazardous. It is very free and fun.
But when you want to jump or go fast or do many tricks you will want straps and that's great too.

Whichever you prefer, with straps or without, don't be afraid to try both. Around here almost everybody rides with straps... at least that is my experience with probably a few hundred hydrofoilers who I have had the pleasure of riding with on the west coast of North America (Vancouver, Squamish. Oregon, California, La Ventana, Los Barriles, Maui).

:-) CG

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board

Postby Johhnn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:45 am

Strapless, for sure.

I started learning with one strap in front, but soon got rid of it. I had some falls that were not bad, but my foot was caught and I could feel the pressure on my knee. Without the strap it was like I had taken 2 steps back in the progression after having taken 3 forward. But the first day I tried strapless it was terribly gusty wind. After a couple more sessions, I was going great strapless. When you fall the board generally goes away from you or you away from it. I haven't had any problems hitting the foil during falls. Still, I always wear a helmet. I've never hit my head, but if something crazy happened and I got knocked out...that would probably be the end.

When you get cranking in smooth water and your feet are barely touching the board...the feeling is like flying. :jump:

SparD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Elf Joker 5 15 and 18m²
Ozone Chrono 12m²
Elf Joker 7 8m²
Ocean Rodeo Flite Gen5 8, 10 and 12m²
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy Gen4 5m² and 7m²
Airush DNA 2015 4m²
Slingshot Z 2016 3m²

Spotz Tuna (102cm)
RSC Supreme 2011 133x39.5
Old beatup surfboards

Postby SparD » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Here's what I've been up to since my last video.

PS : I'm still convinced strapless is the way to go !

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Just finished my fourth hour on my hydrofoil!
Still learning, but strapless from the start. The waterstart is not that hard.

I am so stoked with this. Never thought after 15 years of kiteboarding doing tacks is so much fun!

Today I managed to go downwind, which prevented me from the walk of shame downwind from yesterday :lol:

The most bruises and pain I have after the first two sessions are caused by hitting the foil under water with my legs, while retrieving the board, or after a failed water start!

The only bad thing so far concerning strapless for me is I had the board between my kitelines.
Do not ask me how I managed to do that, but I heard from others it is not that uncommon...

joyrider1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites

Postby joyrider1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi SparD, just curious, what kitemodel and size is the one in your video?
Many thanks.....

SparD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Elf Joker 5 15 and 18m²
Ozone Chrono 12m²
Elf Joker 7 8m²
Ocean Rodeo Flite Gen5 8, 10 and 12m²
Ocean Rodeo Prodigy Gen4 5m² and 7m²
Airush DNA 2015 4m²
Slingshot Z 2016 3m²

Spotz Tuna (102cm)
RSC Supreme 2011 133x39.5
Old beatup surfboards

Postby SparD » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:11 pm

@mig27 : At first, you can ride downwind with the board on the water. That's what I did when I began because when it's onshore and you went far upwind, you can't walk downwind, you have to figure a way to come back to shore !
Yup, foil hanging in the line is a scary situation, happened to me to during my learning ! Hopefully it was light wind...
PS : Rijswijk is a really nice place, I lived there for 4 months !

@joyrider1 : In the first video, wind was offshore very gusty 11-17 knots and I was using a Switch Nitro 4 10m². I was a little underpowered sometimes...

In the second one, wind was 10-12 knots thermal onshore and I was using a Cabrinha Contra 2014 15m². I was pretty powered but not overpowered.

When I'm foiling, I use with these kites an ASV bar with a race trim that I customized with some Switch parts (Swivel and CL). The race trim really is a plus when foiling because you can adjust the power of your kite a lot more than with a traditionnal trim and you can do it without changing your position thanks to the longer rope.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 am

Purely freeride, but I've been running a 12m, 9m, and 6m, on a bar with no trim strap. Works great.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board

Postby Johhnn » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:30 am

Strapless is definitely the way to go. I started with a single front strap, but after a couple of falls during which my foot got trapped (thankfully w/o injury), I decided to take it off. It was like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in the learning progression, but once I figured out what to do when starting, it was great. Sometimes I think about putting 3 straps on the board to try it out, now that I have better skills, but I don't think I'll gain very much. Also the clean deck is just aesthetically nicer and makes it easier to move your feet around.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm

SparD wrote:@mig27 : At first, you can ride downwind with the board on the water. That's what I did when I began because when it's onshore and you went far upwind, you can't walk downwind, you have to figure a way to come back to shore !
Yup, foil hanging in the line is a scary situation, happened to me to during my learning ! Hopefully it was light wind...
PS : Rijswijk is a really nice place, I lived there for 4 months !
Thanks for the tip! :thumb:
I figured that out myself in the third hour ;)
And than give a little kick to get on the foil is just a small step further, but the speed you can reach....sick! 8)

My guess: you worked for the patent office or ESA?

Johhnn wrote:Strapless is definitely the way to go. I started with a single front strap, but after a couple of falls during which my foot got trapped (thankfully w/o injury), I decided to take it off. It was like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in the learning progression, but once I figured out what to do when starting, it was great. Sometimes I think about putting 3 straps on the board to try it out, now that I have better skills, but I don't think I'll gain very much. Also the clean deck is just aesthetically nicer and makes it easier to move your feet around.
I did not like straps on my surfboard as well, so for me it was a natural thing.
In despite most experienced foilers said add a front strap only. And they have a good point: it is easier to make the water start. But after an hour that was not the problem for me anymore ;)

Return to “Hydrofoil”