A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Lmrutledge
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alpine Foil

Postby Lmrutledge » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Anyone here that learned from Day one to Foil on the Alpine XLP Setup or the Ketos Foil SO light?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Re: Alpine Foil

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Yep. Learnt on an AlpineFoil 4.5 and AlpineFoil XLP Wing starting 6 months ago. I also have the Sport Wing but not using it regularly as my focus is to continue to learn the 4 transitions. Buddy has had the XLP wing on a custom configuration for a year and raves how good the wing is so I went all in on an AlpineFoil 4.5. Still love it today and plan to stay with the brand.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Lmrutledge wrote:Anyone here that learned from Day one to Foil on the Alpine XLP Setup or the Ketos Foil SO light?
Nobody learns to foil on the first day, so have to say no, as if they say they did I will say they are lying :roll:

I got the Free Cruiser wing too by the way, perfect on marginal conditions and easy of course :thumb:

The alpinefoil seems to be similar big and easy, so you won't go wrong with either, but you will want faster wings later :naughty:

8) PF

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster

Postby Lmrutledge » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:05 am

Was not implying that someone Learned the first day. Meant from the beginning and learned on that one Foil.

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 am

I have both 4.5 and So light (When I bought it three months ago it was called So Easy). I think they changed the name because foil is never easier then twin tipping. But I found that So light gets up around 8 to 10 knots speed stable. On my alpine it was 10 to 12 knots. That's only when you learn. At intermediate level I can jump on right after water start and force stable speed (butt pumping in light wind) so either one will be excellent at beginner level. Both are the most stable at actual foiling.
If you want light wind foiling So light is best, stable at to 20 to 24 knots depending on conditions. Alpine a little more.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:24 am

Lmrutledge wrote:Was not implying that someone Learned the first day. Meant from the beginning and learned on that one Foil.
Aaah, okay sorry :wink:

I thought you meant if anyone was able to ride the first day, as both you mention are really big and "easy" - so maybe that was the question ?
As some WILL be able to ride a bit the first day, especially on those, but that is not the same as having learned to ride :roll:

Both are starting early, and the Ketos extremely early.

I got 4 different wings now for my masts, the light/cruiser being one of them and mainly used for marginal conditions 4-5 knots with an 11m2 kite, average weight.
Also great for learning new things or foiling tacks/jibes etc - or riding waves when not really experienced - easy and great fun.

As jplmain says, you can not go wrong at either of them, one starting earlier, the other can go a bit faster but starting later :D

8) PF

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:41 pm

I have had the Alpinefoil 4.5 XLP with their AFB 50 surfstyle board for a season and a half now. No complaints. I haven't had the chance to compare with any other foils yet. Quality is great and the ride is smooth.

Foilonfoil, in terms of riding and feel, what is the difference between XLP and the Sport wing? Speed? Maneuverability? Stability?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Johhnn wrote: Foilonfoil, in terms of riding and feel, what is the difference between XLP and the Sport wing? Speed? Maneuverability? Stability?
Surprised to say its a very similar feeling so not a huge change... a tad twitchier and faster... Just lose a couple of knots on the low end and gain the speed/stability on the high end. As I have said in other posts, I foil as I would sail so that means I like to go places so not trying to push 25kts+, just be comfortable at speed on the wind 17-20kts on the XLP Wing and 20+ on the Sport Wing.

I start to foil at 11.5kts+ with the XLP wing - I have the GPS on the board to confirm.

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Thank you. This is very good to know. I'm trying to decide what to do next: sport wing (easy) vs whole new foil (expensive). Thinking Ketos, Spotz, Sword or Levitaz. Maybe at the end of next season.

Seems like we have similar styles. I don't push the speed. I like going long distances and exploring the coastline, but I am working on various skills, too. I can get down to 9 knots before sinking back down into the water.

Thanks again. Fair winds.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:16 am

Very cool!

I'm going to stick with Alpine until I master all my transitions. As for higher performance (racing) foils, The Spotz seems to be the one that stands out locally but they have a funky wing mounting system and I see the guys doing some really weird things to to stabilize the wings else they "jiggle" around.

At the end of the day, the local guy that has purchased every foil out there favors the XLP wing for light conditions... He filled in the factory holes and drilled out three holes that match a fuselage he has so flys with a French front wing, a South African rear wing custom matched to a fuselage.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”