Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Amazing the difference a day can make...

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Amazing the difference a day can make...

Postby Tone » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Yesterday started out 5-9 knots and ended up at 10-12 knots. water was flat and I was on the Spotz2 and Sonic 15. It was perfect. Many fully foiling tacks and a top speed of 28 knots.

today, 15-20 knots, went on the 10 Edge. Horrible session. Crashed more than I have in months. Got so wound up I went and took the 15 Sonic, Fully overpowered on the foil but at least made some turns. the only real difference was the wind blown chop. 24" of chop is hard to deal with.

I can see why the guys at the Gold Cup are on longer masts.

I got worked today...really hard.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Amazing the difference a day can make...

Postby tkettlepoint » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:55 am

in a week I'll be on vaca for 2 weeks in the Hatteras... hope to get a few great sessions there too

Terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 am

Same here... Different conditions and very different mind set and skills. Big swell and wind and I focus more on surfing the swells.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:52 pm

15-20 knots? Yuck! Who needs it... :wink: How things have changed with the hydrofoil :lol:

We had similar conditions this weekend, gusty 15-20 kts with short 2 ft chop and the occaisional 3-4 ft sets rolling through. I tried to go out on my 9m Sonic and ride fast like I usually do, but it was a disaster. Came in and pumped my 6m Dice instead and had a much better time just cruising around between and over the waves.

Been following the gold cup and saw Peter Muller post he was great on his 15m Sonic in 15-19 kts! The other day, it was blowing mid-upper 20's and guys were on 11m foil kites. That's WAY too much power for me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:10 pm

davesails7 wrote:15-20 knots? Yuck! Who needs it... :wink: How things have changed with the hydrofoil :lol:

We had similar conditions this weekend, gusty 15-20 kts with short 2 ft chop and the occaisional 3-4 ft sets rolling through. I tried to go out on my 9m Sonic and ride fast like I usually do, but it was a disaster. Came in and pumped my 6m Dice instead and had a much better time just cruising around between and over the waves.

Been following the gold cup and saw Peter Muller post he was great on his 15m Sonic in 15-19 kts! The other day, it was blowing mid-upper 20's and guys were on 11m foil kites. That's WAY too much power for me.
Indeed, but two different things that can not be compared.

In say 16 knots, I am on my 7m2 wavekite for freeride/tricks/waves, where some of the racers are on 15m2 foilkites, well at least 11-12m2 and a lot more power for their size (but also more depower/windrange than tubes, okay) :naughty:

Meaning a factor 2 in "power" difference is often seen :rollgrin:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”