Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

WindFoil - KiteFoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: WindFoil - KiteFoil

Postby ronnie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Zeeko are moving into windfoiling.

It doesn't show what the mounting system is, but it looks like it may be similar to the normal Zeeko system.
The mast is in the normal kitefoil position in relation to the front wing, and that should reduce the mounting forces compared to many windfoils which have the mast mounted more to the rear from the front wing.
It would be useful if the board could also work well with fins fitted, as it's not always that tide etc might suit a foil.
It's likely to be in competition with the F-One Papenoo and the AHD Sealion Wings boards, and they also work as SUP boards too. Both have a flush finish box system.

Zeeko windfoil details.
https://www.facebook.com/zeeko.kites/ph ... =3&theater
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 pm

So cool, now I am getting closer to going windfoiling !

I love that Zeeko dont compromise and make a "weirdo" twisted foil to fit existing windsurf box positions, but go for the clean and "right" way instead - eventhough it requires a board that fits :naughty:

8) Peter

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:47 am

Have to agree, Peter, simple is the go and being able to have one foil with a choice of front wings and do both kite and windfoiling is a big plus.
The video shows the std.plate mount that by my limited experience needs to be 100mm forward of a std. Tuttle box position.(this is why windfoils so far have longer fuselage to move wing that 100mm )
The windfoil boards just need good inserts and Tuttle box can be left alone without fear of ripping it out.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Nicolas explains the advantage of windfoiling when the wind drops.
https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

That is a key issue for me. I'd like to be able to just sail in if the wind drops. So I've bought one of these.
http://cdn.jp-australia.com/2016/action ... -indra.jpg
and will get used to it as a windsup then decide when and if, to get a foil and fit it to it. (I'm hoping a windfoilable size of the canard works, but whatever wins, wins). Probably use this modified pad type when I get inserts for straps added.
halfpad.jpg
halfpad.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
This is a smaller version of the board, with a GoFoil.
Last edited by ronnie on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:15 pm

3InletsWindsports wrote:Have to agree, Peter, simple is the go and being able to have one foil with a choice of front wings and do both kite and windfoiling is a big plus.
The video shows the std.plate mount that by my limited experience needs to be 100mm forward of a std. Tuttle box position.(this is why windfoils so far have longer fuselage to move wing that 100mm )
The windfoil boards just need good inserts and Tuttle box can be left alone without fear of ripping it out.
The kitefoil mast position (relative to the wings) should reduce the stress on the fuselage and box, but for windfoiling, the more forward position of the 'mast' could then raise issues of the lateral resistance (like a fin) changing the relative balance with regard to the sail and footstraps.
AHD and F-One have kitefoil-type 'mast' positions and seem to have it sorted, so it does work, but the F-One only has front straps and the Sealion Wings doesn't have any, so the footstrap positions may need to be different for windfoil and windSUP.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Deleted.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:22 pm

ronnie wrote:
3InletsWindsports wrote:Have to agree, Peter, simple is the go and being able to have one foil with a choice of front wings and do both kite and windfoiling is a big plus.
The kitefoil mast position (relative to the wings) should reduce the stress on the fuselage and box, but for windfoiling, the more forward position of the 'mast' could then raise issues of the lateral resistance (like a fin) changing the relative balance with regard to the sail and footstraps.
AHD and F-One have kitefoil-type 'mast' positions and seem to have it sorted, so it does work, but the F-One only has front straps and the Sealion Wings doesn't have any, so the footstrap positions may need to be different for windfoil and windSUP.
My attempt at fitting my Zeeko black&white to my old slalom board showed no noticeable issue with mast position effecting anything in regards sail balance. My big problem was the board being too narrow and my deck pad glue seemed to be water soluble.
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:41 pm

What's the volume of that board would you say 3inlets?

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:56 am

Was about 100L but I cut 300mm off back so maybe 95 now.
Not a problem with volume and I don't use an uphaul rope so it was 4.7m2 enough power to waterstart but the speed the speed to get foiling was almost planning speed and when it did get up I instantly felt the need to get my feet outboard further so ended up having my brain over focusing on this to enjoy those first few seconds before the deck pad started sliding away.
I need some time to make a board and by the time that happens it will be march and the new Zeeko windfoils will be available.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:22 am

So you had enough wind to waterstart a 4.7? What sort of windspeed did you have?

Return to “Hydrofoil”