Canard Foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Canard Foil

Postby Starsky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:07 am

No, no I wasn't there. Pretty sure you weren't either, so who is your arrogant ass calling ignorant?

The fact remains, the folks at Crazyfoil.com have it up and running and are going into production. French, just not your type.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Very interesting to read this in their own words on their website.
F A Q
Last line starting with
What is the difference....
"Crazy Foil is specially designed to be towed by a boat."
I have absolutely nothing against them just would like to see some strapless flying with a kite so they can prove their statement that,
"Crazy Foil is the only hydrofoil that is forgiving with user mistakes."
R H

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Yeah I'm with you there.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:53 am

I nearly jumped in, but after that cuntofino fiasco, which I luckily just missed, I am now doubly cautious. Some videos and reviews would be needed before I am convinced. Perhaps they should send a free one to Starsky :-)

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 am

Wouldn't be much on shipping.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 am

From this graph, it looks like the area to operate in is around the upper lift areas of the airfoils.

As the angle of attack increases, the front (canard) wing lift starts to drop off, as the rear wing is still increasing.

It does suggest that the canard can work in the high efficiency area of airfoils, but the front wing would have to also have a steady slower drop off in lift for a big enough range of AOA.

Canard RC Glider made in 1986. You can get an idea of where the centre of gravity/lift is, from where he is holding it.

Interesting switch of a glider to Canard.

TPink
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:16 pm

ronnie wrote:From this graph, it looks like the area to operate in is around the upper lift areas of the airfoils.

As the angle of attack increases, the front (canard) wing lift starts to drop off, as the rear wing is still increasing.

It does suggest that the canard can work in the high efficiency area of airfoils, but the front wing would have to also have a steady slower drop off in lift for a big enough range of AOA.

Canard RC Glider made in 1986. You can get an idea of where the centre of gravity/lift is, from where he is holding it.

Interesting switch of a glider to Canard.

cool vids,

if I'm understanding the canard concept, you could take advantage of the double surface lift by creating a HF with smaller area generating the same lift as a bigger standard HF. Less area = lower drag = higher speed?

The canard concept is worth further experimentation!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 pm

TPink wrote:
ronnie wrote:From this graph, it looks like the area to operate in is around the upper lift areas of the airfoils.

cool vids,

if I'm understanding the canard concept, you could take advantage of the double surface lift by creating a HF with smaller area generating the same lift as a bigger standard HF. Less area = lower drag = higher speed?

The canard concept is worth further experimentation!
Yes - that seems to be one possible advantage, but the airfoils used have to work together to control the centre of lift from moving while the AOA changes, so that might reduce the efficiency.

My understanding of it is that the Canard tends to sink instead of nose dive. Sinking tail first is bad on a plane but good on a kitefoil. Nose diving on stall is a good thing on a plane, but a bad thing on a kitefoil.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:52 am

A short clip to show how this canard foil reacts to breaching the surface.
2 wings, both lifting, and it just sinks back down onto the surface.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

BWD wrote:
>100 HP - Boot to pull.
No.
The videos show it working behind a dinghy with a moderate size outboard -probably 25hp. The boat makes a wake, therefore planing. One person is aboard the boat. Therefore it is likely using 6-7hp to do this as is normal
How much extra horsepower is the boat using to pull the rider? This is the amount needed for the foil to work. My guess is that it is 3-6 hp but it could be 8 or so. Based on the boat wake I say it's taking 6 or less "extra" hp. If it's <5, ideally 2-4, it could be quite acceptable for kiting.
I agree sounds reasonable. :thumb:
But would never need more than 8-10 hp,
since in the example with 2 people onboard on a 14-ft row boat
and 10-hp Mercury outboard they had 32 mph top speed.

My opinion if the crazy foil was made for higher speeds for towing,
for KB the surface area can be increased to get it down to the mentioned 6 - 8 mph range.
Somebody still could try the crazy foil concept how it feels at least with a KB. :idea:
:jump:
DrLW
Attachments
Hydrofoil 10Hp.png
Hydrofoil 10Hp.png (109.28 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

Return to “Hydrofoil”