Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light LEI kites c",)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Light LEI kites c",)

Postby dylan* » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Thank you for the response. Yes the wind is 8 knots minimum, more like 8-9 or 8-10, that is very typical wind in Florida most days during the summer.

I understand that there might be a heavy "bombproof" 3-strut surf kite. Are there some good ones to look at that would be lighter than my Nitro 4, that would actually be worth buying for this wind? I am not opposed to getting something dedicated like a LF solo or similar, but since 12m is usually my go-to size and it has enough power to ride in these conditions, it would be kind of a waste (imo) to have two kites the same size, if I can get one that performs well enough for everything. I am thinking about something like the Envy or Roca. Think it would be a big difference over my current (heavy) 12m?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 am

Under 10 knots, the light weight of the kite will be helpful on 3 aspects :
- smoother and more efficient sinusoidal work
- less risk to get it ( definitely ) in the water in case of lull
- better chance to relaunch it in the sensitive range of 9-11 knots and change a swimming session into a ride session ...

I experienced Rally (3 struts) and One (1 strut) with hydrofoil, and I think i will never go back to 3 struts in light wind foil, one strut having a lot more fun, more agile and secure under 11 knots. It is also very pleasant surf strapless and even TT up to 25 knots if you are not looking for advanced freestyle;

So my "dream" quiver is now finally achieve:
-12m foilkite for extreme light wind 5-9 knots
- 1 strut LEI for 9-13 knots (or keep foilkite but with TT)
- 3 struts for 14-25 knots (or keep One but with TT)
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pierre.d » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:49 pm

I am more radical than you at removing struts, I love strutless until 15 knots

0 struts for 15 and 10 (storm 15 and trip 10)
1 strut for the 8 (notus air)
2 struts for the 6 (naish ride)
3 struts for the 4

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Flysurfer Boost I+II

Postby Nem0 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 pm

I'd like to place the flysurfer boost 1+2 in this round.
I don't foiling by myself but I've seen a lot of guys useing the boosts for foiling. It is a 5 strut L.E.I. kite.
5m - 2,30kg
7m - 2,76kg
9m - 3,14kg
and so on...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:50 am

True that the Bosst seems a very good kite with both performance and good low wind relaunch ability and an impressive weight for a 5 strut kite !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:57 pm

I compared LF Solo and Airush one One on the ground :
- one : 2,390kg and Solo 2,880kg ,i.e +20 % weight
- Solo has higher AR and flat surface : same width with but 2 x 40 cm longer
- this corresponds to approx to + 0,9 m2, hence +10 % flat surface

So it remains 10 % real weight difference on the fly ability (extrapolated at same surface), acceptable to me and mainly explained by the added big flow valve on top of a standard valve + one pump.

I expect a higher linear speed of the Solo (good for foiling), due to 10 % higher Aspect ratio and thinner leading edge. If turning ability is confirmed to be as good as the One, its higher performance could even help keeping the kite in the air in low wind if proper worked , and so compensate for the 200 gr extraplolated over-weight ; let's see next test if i still have both in hand at that time.
Pumping is far more rapid and effortless due to high flow valve and thinner LE and strutt, but not a significant argument to me.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:I compared LF Solo and Airush one One on the ground :
- one : 2,390kg and Solo 2,880kg ,i.e +20 % weight
- Solo has higher AR and flat surface : same width with but 2 x 40 cm longer
- this corresponds to approx to + 0,9 m2, hence +10 % flat surface

So it remains 10 % real weight difference on the fly ability (extrapolated at same surface), acceptable to me and mainly explained by the added big flow valve on top of a standard valve + one pump.

I expect a higher linear speed of the Solo (good for foiling), due to 10 % higher Aspect ratio and thinner leading edge. If turning ability is confirmed to be as good as the One, its higher performance could even help keeping the kite in the air in low wind if proper worked , and so compensate for the 200 gr extraplolated over-weight ; let's see next test if i still have both in hand at that time.
Pumping is far more rapid and effortless due to high flow valve and thinner LE and strutt, but not a significant argument to me.
Good info.

But dont forget, that weight and AR are only some, IMO actually often minor, parameters regarding how a kite performs, compared to the profile.

It is the profile/airfoil (and the LE diameter is part of that, agree) that is by far the most essential regarding power/low end/depower/wind range and handling :thumb:

8) PF

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:26 am

Agree , adding camber and mainly projected area in your list.
But i cannot access all these other parameters than area, AR and weigth, so a test should confirm or not ...

To me and looking at our incredible bo/one strut kite flight ability, weight per projected area should be the main parameter on ability to remain at the zenith in the air in light wind.

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:01 am

Regis, my 3-strut 10m² OR Flite is lighter than your 1-strut 9m² LF Solo ! You should give it a try ! We can switch kites next time you come in Giens ;)

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am

For winds from about 8-9 knots I really like the Airush Vantage 18m (a 3 strut kite). It is quite light and stays in the air better (in my experience) than Ozone Zephyr or North Dyno. Can't really mention any disadvantages (ok, does not have one-pump and the bridle is quite long). The wind range is quite good, still rideable at 16-18 knots.

For wind starting with 10+ knots I like Gaastra Jet 13m (a 5 strut kite; does not have one-pump but very light). Hate pumping those separate struts but it flies like a dream.

Return to “Hydrofoil”