Light LEI kites c",)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light LEI kites c",)

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Peert wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Anyone who has ridden the strutless Naish Trip 2016/17 ?

Problem with the Cloud and Mono and Solo and Notus Air is the sizing, there is a step and nothing around 10m2 it is either a really big one like 12 or 13.5 and then 9 or even 8.5 :roll:

Naish seems to be the only one with smaller steps so you can choose either 8 or 10 or 12 :thumb:

Assume it will flutter like the Solo and others when looped, but anyone who has ridden this one and can tell more ?

The sound must be accepted with these kites - they will turn way better than a noiseless foil kite, on the cost of particularly marginal wind peak power of course.

8) PF
Hi Peter Frank, do you still think so after seeing this?

Can you explain why? I will start foiling shortly (coming week I hope) and now use a trip 10m and wondering if I will need anyting else than my OR cypher 9 and 7 and OR prodigy 5 below that.
I dont understand your question Peert ?

You got loads of kites, and the 10 trip can be used in maybe 9 knots if medium weight and not a racewing I would think :rollgrin:

Or are you asking if you need a smaller kite than your 5 ?

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 am

Yes you're right Peter, it is discontinued, but there are some second hands here and here ; I think most of its behaviour will be the same for other brand single struuts, hence my feedback.

Mono from North however should be very close to the Airush One (large LE and compact AR) looking at it design.

Video from Liquid Force Solo makes me think it should be quite the same, certainly a bit more hydrofoil orientated "but less waveriding" (thinner leading edge) ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgcyAjrJRA

Certainly similar philosophy for Notus Air.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:05 am

Regis-de-giens wrote: Mono from North however should be very close to the Airush One (large LE and compact AR) looking at it design.
I would like to know the weight of those North kites.
If you check the wind range (TT and 75kg Joe Average rider) stated by North, there is no gain in low-end what you would expect.
And solely judged from the product pictures (and that can be quite wrong of course :wink: ) I notice a lot of Dacron used, thus giving the impression that they are not that light.

Nevertheless, our local North representative is also into foiling now, I think I will see one this season :thumb:

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Peert wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Anyone who has ridden the strutless Naish Trip 2016/17 ?

Problem with the Cloud and Mono and Solo and Notus Air is the sizing, there is a step and nothing around 10m2 it is either a really big one like 12 or 13.5 and then 9 or even 8.5 :roll:

8) PF
Hi Peter Frank, do you still think so after seeing this?

Can you explain why? I will start foiling shortly (coming week I hope) and now use a trip 10m and wondering if I will need anyting else than my OR cypher 9 and 7 and OR prodigy 5 below that.
I dont understand your question Peert ?

You got loads of kites, and the 10 trip can be used in maybe 9 knots if medium weight and not a racewing I would think :rollgrin:

Or are you asking if you need a smaller kite than your 5 ?

8) Peter
Sorry, you are right, I was not clear and asking mutiple questions at the same time... to clarify:

Question 1; You state the sizing steps are too large (in light LEI). In the youtube clip you see the guy foiling on kites from 3.5 up to 13.5 meter BRM clouds (and sizes in between) with a 1,5 hour timeframe. To me this suggests sizing steps of +/- 4 meters are doable with these BRM clouds on a hydrofoil. Do you agree or disagree? Is there any reason to expect something different from (strutless/light) kites from other brands?

Question 2; Will a 5 meter 3 strut kite suitable for hydrofoiling in 25 + kts of wind with gusts up to 35? Or will I need a smaller kite for that? (all on TKF Manta freeride)

Question 3; Do you expect the 4 strutt wave oriented OR cyphers 9 and 7 will be suitable for hydrofoiling?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Peert wrote:
Sorry, you are right, I was not clear and asking mutiple questions at the same time... to clarify:

Question 1; You state the sizing steps are too large (in light LEI). In the youtube clip you see the guy foiling on kites from 3.5 up to 13.5 meter BRM clouds (and sizes in between) with a 1,5 hour timeframe. To me this suggests sizing steps of +/- 4 meters are doable with these BRM clouds on a hydrofoil. Do you agree or disagree? Is there any reason to expect something different from (strutless/light) kites from other brands?

Question 2; Will a 5 meter 3 strut kite suitable for hydrofoiling in 25 + kts of wind with gusts up to 35? Or will I need a smaller kite for that? (all on TKF Manta freeride)

Question 3; Do you expect the 4 strutt wave oriented OR cyphers 9 and 7 will be suitable for hydrofoiling?
1. The sizing is okay if you want to go minimalistic, and use the same kite quiver.
But not if you want the kites to fit with other kites, and/or other types of kites, or if you are picky like some of us.
This is the very reason why many brands offer kites with 1m2 gaps only, some with 2m2 gaps - so you can find your own perfect quiver.

2. Of course it will be possible to survive, but NOT good in 25-35 knots, with a 5m2 for the average weight :o
You need a smaller kite for a hydrofoil in this wind, no doubt at all :naughty:

3. Your OR Cyphers 9 and 7 seem to be really fast turning, and not so much pull/grunt - but good depower and good upwind and good handling/feel.
All of above is perfect for hydrofoiling (you DONT want grunt which is on expense of range normally), and you know these kites inside out - so simply perfect, just remember to have a bit longer lines of course, as always when not racing :D
Besides - they seem perfect for riding waves which I assume you do too - so a win win to have these two for both waves and hydrofoil :thumb:

Just my opinions, but you asked c",)

8) Peter

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Pete, you gotta try the clouds. Seems funny that you have multiple, foil boards, foil wings, foil kites + an entire wave quiver of gear, but haven't bit the bullet and ordered a cloud. Get the 8.5 or 5.5. If you hate em, I'm sure you will have no problem selling. Who knows you might just find the missing piece in your dream quiver.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Starsky wrote: Seems funny that you have multiple, foil boards, foil wings, foil kites + an entire wave quiver of gear, but haven't bit the bullet and ordered a cloud.
Unless you commit to a full quiver, they are really expensive kites. On top of that, shipping to Europe is several hundred dollars per kite. I think most people would like to try them, but without a way to demo them, or return them, it is hard to bite that bullet. They are as expensive as high end race foils for European customers (plus possible hassle of importing). I am not criticizing the pricing, I understand that there are economies of scale at play.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:06 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Starsky wrote: Seems funny that you have multiple, foil boards, foil wings, foil kites + an entire wave quiver of gear, but haven't bit the bullet and ordered a cloud.
Unless you commit to a full quiver, they are really expensive kites. On top of that, shipping to Europe is several hundred dollars per kite. I think most people would like to try them, but without a way to demo them, or return them, it is hard to bite that bullet. They are as expensive as high end race foils for European customers (plus possible hassle of importing). I am not criticizing the pricing, I understand that there are economies of scale at play.
That would not be the concern...

But having so widely spaced sizes really powered in waves (on waveboards) - can not see this coming :roll:

Particularly not, as if you ride a lot, I find it better to have close spacing so you wont wear the kites out as fast - AND, you can ride on with the closest size even if you bash/get a rip in one, thus not destroying a good wave day, besides the obvious you can choose the best :naughty:

It is way better than having two similar sizes of the same kites (I would never do this), as you can pick the size that is spot on for the conditions on a given day, and the quiver will last much longer so it is not more expensive :thumb:

And just as with windsurfing in waves - in the bigger sizes close spacing is even more important IMO, eventhough most go the complete different way here :roll:

No, I havent tried these - but having a hard time no matter what, to see how it can fit ?

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:19 pm

I hear you, but kiting is kinda Peter's thing and he has pretty much every piece of equipment he wants.....

I doubt it would be hard to sell if you didn't like it. For the same reason its hard to get, others would jump at the chance to pay you and have it in hand right then and there. Anyway. I picked up a 12 as my biggest kite and like it enough that I will likely slowly shift my quiver that way. Just thought peter who kinda functions as the "google" of foiling round here should try one.

How many times has Peter mentioned that he understands that hydrofoils seem expensive only up until you learn to foil!

Pete.... Get a cloud.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: No, I havent tried these - but having a hard time no matter what, to see how it can fit ?
Sounds a little like something pullstrings would say about hydrofoiling, you know, without the accent!

Return to “Hydrofoil”