Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

An idea for a one wing foil.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

An idea for a one wing foil.

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:25 pm

This video is just to show that a one wing foil can be used.

It does take extra skill because when the angle of attack is changed, the wing is swung forwards on a 1 metre long arc - so the centre of lift moves forward or back as the AOA changes.

You can see a working foil (for a Laser dingy) which has a hinged wing on page 7 of this PDF
http://www.glidefree.com.au/Operating%2 ... s%20R4.pdf

The minuses are that it has moving parts and moves away from the KISS principle. On the plus side you only have one wing which lifts upwards, instead of 2 wings - one of which pushes down. It does away with the fuselage. When the wing breaches the surface, the rider's weight should be directly over the centre of lift, with no rotational forces from a downward pushing rear wing, so it is likely to sink rather than nose dive.

An illustration of a hinged kitefoil wing.
Because the spring should be linear, it may be better to use a torsion bar spring at the hinge for the deck plate.
One Wing Foil.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: An idea for a one wing foil.

Postby Starsky » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Think that's mental gymnastics. What is the up side? Less drag? The central nervous system is a far more elegant solution. Even punters can learn to foil now that Liquid Force have skin in the game. The mechanical route might serve for big hulls, but for a board, balance on with two feet. Just cant see it getting you any farther ahead than we already are.
Last edited by Starsky on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Starsky wrote:Think its just mental gymnastics at this point. What is the up side? Less drag? The central nervous system is a far more elegant solution. Even punters can learn to foil now that Liquid Force have skin in the game. The mechanical route might serve for big hulls, but for a board, balance on with two feet. Just cant see it getting you any farther ahead than we already are.
Given how well the current foils are working, it difficult even to imagine a better system.

It does provide only upward lift, so that is a move toward more efficiency. Maybe less wetted area, smaller wing, and if it could be streamlined enough, maybe it might provide a better lift/drag ratio? It might allow for less wind resistance from the board as the board can be trimmed independently of the angle of attack needed.

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:42 pm

You only need to attach a hobby/rc dedicate gyro or stabilization device and a battery.
No need to use your body :thumb:

joyrider1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites

Postby joyrider1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:37 pm

The given example (glidefree….) has a rear foiling device at the end of the rudder? So no single wing vehicle….

Would this construction really help? Controlling a hinged deck plate for rear foot with a one wing vehicle seems even more challenging than the weight shift controlled conventional KBHF right now. IMO body weight shift and body rotation for controlling the foil probably has far wider range and is way more subtle?

Besides: I would not want any electronical devices in my foil, want to keep it pure and have the challenge of not being supported (electronically) too much (“Just me and my foil…..”). But that`s just personal preference.

Ride safe and have fun....

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:06 pm

This design doesn't account for how current KBHF's currently work...the point of the stabilizer is to offset the moment arm created by the distance from the front wing to the harness hook where power is applied. Because this power application pitches the foil forward, the stabilizer is there to offset that moment and create a balanced wing. A dynamic AOA on the front wing would do nothing to negate this effect and would make riding the board more technically complex, as well as include moving pieces that can (and will) break during use.

Great design for a foiling Moth, worthless on a KBHF.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:20 pm

joyrider1 wrote:The given example (glidefree….) has a rear foiling device at the end of the rudder? So no single wing vehicle….

Would this construction really help? Controlling a hinged deck plate for rear foot with a one wing vehicle seems even more challenging than the weight shift controlled conventional KBHF right now. IMO body weight shift and body rotation for controlling the foil probably has far wider range and is way more subtle?

Besides: I would not want any electronical devices in my foil, want to keep it pure and have the challenge of not being supported (electronically) too much (“Just me and my foil…..”). But that`s just personal preference.

Ride safe and have fun....
I didn't say the Laser system was a single wing - just pointed out that there were pictures of the hinged hydrofoil mounted on the bottom of the centreboard on Page 7.

There is no electrical component.

joyrider1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Directionals
Tubekites

Postby joyrider1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:57 pm

ronnie wrote:
I didn't say the Laser system was a single wing - just pointed out that there were pictures of the hinged hydrofoil mounted on the bottom of the centreboard on Page 7.

There is no electrical component.
Sorry ronnie, read it too fast and misunderstood.
But still: a monowing KBHF with hinged mechanism (like the one from your drawing) seems like a super difficult vehicle to steer IMO.

My electrial component comment should relate to cosmos post. Bad quoting from me, sorry.

Here ist a randomly found video about rear wing aerodynamics which I found well understandable why most of us are on the KBHFs like they are today.

Happy foiling :bye:

Return to “Hydrofoil”