Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

Postby socommk23 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am

360? No.....it's called a dead man's turn! It's been done in buggy for years but on a hydrofoil it's something special. A lot more skills needed to do it while standing on an underwater plane.

https://youtu.be/ZJC-fen0h8w

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 pm

socommk23 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 am
360? No.....it's called a dead man's turn! It's been done in buggy for years but on a hydrofoil it's something special. A lot more skills needed to do it while standing on an underwater plane.

https://youtu.be/ZJC-fen0h8w

True, it is called a deadmans turn in buggy yes.

For kitefoilers though, I think a "full 360 hydrofoil and kite" will be a name that is understood easily and not confused with a common 360 where the kite is either looped around or flown straight over, but never facing topside to the wind direction like in a full 360 hydrofoil AND kite.

Awesome move, and really difficult.

Horst, you dont find it that hard - but it IS, it is you who got skills like very few, respect :thumb:

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi Peter,
thank You for the flowers :D . It is not easy for sure, but what I wanted to say is:

The biggest effort is to:
1. find your personal perfect setting which is extremly sensitive to line length (actually think about to shorten my overall 20 m setup by 0,5 m as it makes a difference, just to give an Impression)
2. start experience and relaunch everytime for the first tries in super low wind with a very small kite on very short lines
3. while riding in constant but a bit variing wind, finding your personal perfect pull and therefore Moment, to start the turn
once you are through these steps to just do the turn starts to be pretty "easy", but let's say in comparison to learning a "caneri man" or a jibe with feet switch on a monofoil :wink:

Anyway just made one today with the 20 m Setup, but realy nice fast, wide and powerful one, without any slack any moment. Try to get better as Steven Akkersdijk (with the core kite) already seems to be:

Found that Steven Akkersdijk has already made a even nicer shot with a drone on 12.June, so I need not to post my GPS log to show how the movement looks clearly :thumb:

https://www.facebook.com/steven.akkersd ... 934774754/

https://www.facebook.com/steven.akkersd ... xE&fref=nf

.. and also one of the FS guyes is trying again, but with a bit big kite in my eyes:

https://www.facebook.com/lukas.vogeltan ... 533639063/

But this is how it works first tries: relaunch relaunch relaunch :D

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks Sergio, That drone perspective gives sooooo much information on how this works. Kind of alternating spirals with the kinetic energy shifting from kite driving board to board driving kite.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

This video shows the trick with 1st gen Sonic 15m probably with 21m std lines from dual perspective. I wonder when multiple deadman's turns are done with HF in a row..

https://vimeo.com/124712637

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:09 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am
This video shows the trick with 1st gen Sonic 15m probably with 21m std lines from dual perspective. I wonder when multiple deadman's turns are done with HF in a row..

https://vimeo.com/124712637
Craig sparks is a very talented freestyle buggiers and had the right conditions and place to pull this manouver off.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 pm

I have a suggestion and would like your opinion Sergio:
In order to learn the trick without having to install short lines, would it be judicious to keep the kite very high to decrease the part of the travel it will have to do against the wind ? and then lower the kite step by step with experience ?

Maybe also a way to have more time to recover the kite during the learning trials ...

I do not have your skills and I wonder if I should try it with the Pulsion or the race kite Elf (Elf is more forward in window , so less back tensions in the lines against the wind, but less chance to recover it or relaunch it ...)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Regis,
basicly a good idea, but I tried a bit with 6m2 Sonic2 on 18m lines, but my impression was that there is no easy mid way to do the manouver with very high kite.

The problem seems to be that if you enter the trick as usual, first you will find you on a track directly downwind and with the kite, after the half downloop, not much higher than 45 degree. Point of no return (PONR) This means even if you now shortcut and pull up the kite as high as possible towards zenit, you still have to travel around about the line length to change side with the kite while keeping an effective lee speed about 4 knts higher than windspeed.
So i think long lines even if flying high just wont work. You have just the chance to exit by hard pulling up the kite at PONR and end your boards turn, when you feel that your board speed will be to low.

I still think race kite will be easier, but as you said also relaunch ability is very important, good luck sonic2 is great in both. On the other hand Steven did it with a tube, so everything seems to work, just to find your personal best fitting line length is very sensittive.
I was just able to do it with 11, 12 and 13 m lines.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am
This means even if you now shortcut and pull up the kite as high as possible towards zenit, you still have to travel around about the line length to change side with the kite while keeping an effective lee speed about 4 knts higher than windspeed.
I was believing that regarding this phase, if kite is very high, you do not need to travel the line length , but only its horizontal projection , hence shorten this "paragliding " phase of the kite where it slows you down. Can you see what I mean ? For exemple on a extreme case ( just for illustration) : assuming the kite is fully at the zenith, you just need to do a 180 degree with the foil on its location, no nee to travel at all ...

But in a second deeper reflexion phase I finally think that there is an issue : not easy to explain but I will try ;
- the kite at the zenith needs more wind speed to hang-up (say 5-6 knots)
- the kite crossing the window needs less wind ( says 2-3 knots, hence the need to loop the kite in light wind)
- so with kite higher in the zenith, you will need to go faster downwind to keep the kite in the air (5-6 knot faster than wind in this exemple)
- with the kite horizontal you should limit your required downwind speed of 2-3 knots ...

=> so " kite close to the zenith" would require less travel length but 2-3 knot faster speed while kite is pulling you backward; does that make sense ? strangely I feel it is worth trying

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Double Around the World !

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:54 am

Maybe I was wrong in many aspects: Tubes allow much tighter turns -> smaller line length (I think his setup is only 17 m total) -> lower speeds -> possiblity to combine with pumping -> do a double one ... :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”